Differences between model years Honda PCX 150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Differences between model years Honda PCX 150

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

What would be any important differences between a Honda 2013 PCX 150 and a Honda 2015 PCX 150 ? I would be especially interested in knowing differences in the
engine or wiring, etc. Would motors or other parts swap between the two ? The 2015 has LED lights. Did these start coming with the bigger gas tank ?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Differences between model years Honda PCX 150

Post by gn2 »

There are three main body styles of PCX, model years are different in some markets.
The original mk1 "owl" look, then came the mk2 LED headlamp with humpless seat and lastly the current mk3 model with ABS front brake and curved wheel spokes.

The mk2 is the one which introduced the bigger tank and a clock in the dash.
Parts intercompatibility is too complex for a simple forum post, to check what parts fit what model you need to look at the likes of en.microfiches.net which helpfully lists what models a specific part will fit.
So you need to search for the part for your scooter then check down the list to see which other scooters and/or bikes it fits.
Classic example is the oil strainer cover, that part has been in use since the early 60s and was originally a rocker cover on motorcycle engines.

Even within body styles there can be major differences, with the mk1 pre and post eSP engines have different pivot points and are completely incompatible with each other although there are many common parts.
Its a minefield.....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

gn2 wrote:There are three main body styles of PCX, model years are different in some markets.
The original mk1 "owl" look, then came the mk2 LED headlamp with humpless seat and lastly the current mk3 model with ABS front brake and curved wheel spokes.

The mk2 is the one which introduced the bigger tank and a clock in the dash.
Parts intercompatibility is too complex for a simple forum post, to check what parts fit what model you need to look at the likes of en.microfiches.net which helpfully lists what models a specific part will fit.
So you need to search for the part for your scooter then check down the list to see which other scooters and/or bikes it fits.
Classic example is the oil strainer cover, that part has been in use since the early 60s and was originally a rocker cover on motorcycle engines.

Even within body styles there can be major differences, with the mk1 pre and post eSP engines have different pivot points and are completely incompatible with each other although there are many common parts.
Its a minefield.....
Thank You. That's about what I suspected.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Here's a look at the difference in how they look from the front. Mine is a 2013 and DW's is a 2016 (same as 2015)
bikes (Medium).jpg
bikes (Medium).jpg (134.49 KiB) Viewed 955 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Two up front things to know, which will help you BEFORE you go through the search process:

1. The 2015 model with LED headlights has a completely different wiring diagram than the 2013 model.

2. The engine on the 2013 and 2015 models "MAY" be the same, but the frames are not. The ECU for each is different as well.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

I had a 2011 PCX125 which I regret selling for 1650.00 with only 2100 miles on it. It was very snappy off the line and felt faster 0 to 40 mph than the 17 PCX150 I test rode.
I agree the 2013 is the one to get for fastest, OTOH the suspension is better on the 2nd generation. The 1st gen PCXs had to me below average suspension.
:geek:
OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Mel46 wrote:Two up front things to know, which will help you BEFORE you go through the search process:

1. The 2015 model with LED headlights has a completely different wiring diagram than the 2013 model.

2. The engine on the 2013 and 2015 models "MAY" be the same, but the frames are not. The ECU for each is different as well.
Thank You.