In a fog. What to dew?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

In a fog. What to dew?

Post by Brice »

I had to debate whether to ride the scoot or drive 4 wheels as the fog permeated this summer morning. I gave myself an early start, donned the water proof jacket and riding pants and took off on my 30 minute, 20 mile commute. After a mile I aborted my favorite part of the day and turned back as I didn't quite feel comfortable. My ride should be fun, not stressful. The visibility through the fog was ok, not great, I had a good 10 second visual field ahead of me.

The problem was the misty particles constantly and quickly accumulating on my helmet's visor.

So I ask the experts. What products or procedures do you use to keep a clear visor in foggy mist?

I have ridden in light rain, but this was worse as the fine particles didn't bead and roll. I had to keep wiping with my gloved hand. I suppose the another option would be to ride with an open visor, but the idea of no eye protection doesn't suit me.

Thanks for your input.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: In a fog. What to dew?

Post by fish »

You can try various water repellents on the visor to shed the moisture in heavy fog, including RainX for Plastic (I've tried a bunch) - but honestly, you will simply need to clear the visor a few times each minute with your glove. Nothing will bead when it is still very fine on your visor, it takes more to finally bead, BUT you are nearly blind until it does. Hence, the glove wipe is needed.
Just use your right hand frequently and bear with it.
If you have a long ride ahead....I'd turn back. But a half hour or so, I just press on with wiping and riding carefully.

The real problem is when the conditions cause the inside of your visor to fog (Pinlocks help!). Those without glasses can simply raise the visor and carry on for a short ride to the destination.

I ride often in morning fog. Wiping and riding no faster than necessary.

Fish

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Obviously, I meant your left hand.

Fish
BobS
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Silver

Post by BobS »

Two suggestions

Use Cat Crap on your visor - inside and out
https://www.webbikeworld.com/cat-crap-anti-fog-review/

Get some gloves with a built in sgueegee or add something like this
https://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-vee ... eegee.html

BobS
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300

Post by Oldie »

Microfibre cloth - secure it to the bike with velcro.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I've always:

A) Wiped the shield with my "left hand/fingers" in rain . . ..

B) If at speed on a major highway (60 MPH+) I turn my head from side to side (like looking right or left) briefly and the rain droplets on the outside shield surface seem to roll off from the wind and go yonder over my shoulders. Keep the helmet vents open too if you can.

C) I leave the shield slightly open at the bottom where it meets the chin and tend to exhale downward so as to avoid my breath fogging up the helmet. If you try this just sitting in your chair at home and feel your breath hitting your lower neck you are doing it really well. :D

What I've read that may also work but I never used are:

A) "Stick on" clear shield strips https://www.amazon.com/WeePro-Universal ... B078ZBB88B

B) A "Pin-lock" helmet insert. But you need a shield with a "Pin-lock" capability to use one . . .. My new HJC CL-17 FF Helmet has that feature but I never bought a "Pin-lock" insert yet to use with it.

And finally, and hard to believe, not substantiated by me in any way, I heard rubbing a potato slice on the helmet shield helps. Maybe someone else can chime in on this one. If it's fantasy and conjecture then maybe just better to stay home and have a Guinness and watch some TV. :lol:
Brice
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013

Post by Brice »

Thanks for the suggestions.
That velcroed microfiber cloth or squegee fingers are my next move
Fish, nice pix!

I didn't think the inside of the helmet fogged up. If it does I have solutions for that too.

Thank you :D