Forza (2014) brake pipes braided pipes?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: grey

Forza (2014) brake pipes braided pipes?

Post by dergav »

showing my ignorance yet again!
Are Forza brake pipes braided...2014 NSS300 Forza....Only had the bike since new in 2014!
Want to know if I can use a hose clamp on the brake pipe line.
How can you tell is a pipe is braided
Thanks in advance
D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Forza (2014) brake pipes braided pipes?

Post by gn2 »

They are cheapo standard ones, definitely not braided.
Why do you want to use a hose clamp on them, can't think why you would need to do that?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I’m with gn2 on this one.

Forget what you are asking. What are you trying to do?
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

Well !...Want to take of front brake caliper completely and strip to properly clean pistons etc...and mechanic guy on UTube showed how to do this without draining the brake fluid using the clip so as to limit air into the pipe...and then after refitting put new fluid through....says it helps to keep air out of the system....looked sensible to me?...but what do I know.
However the real issue is why I wish to strip the caliper. ..Front brake working fine with no issue other than pads well worn...so renewed the pads..Brakes working great but I am now getting a light pulse ( cannot think of any other word to describe this sensation) through the front brake lever but only when braking...does not affect the braking ....Have taken pads back out three times and cleaned as best as I can including pushing out pistons as far as I can and cleaning ...but the pulse remains...although not as strong...so next is to strip and properly clean the caliper and see if that solves the problem.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

wrong post, please delete admin :oops:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nah, No worries alx123. I've made this mistake before, others have too. Present Poster's understood and moved on - They're still braiding pipes (or not).
Catch ya later > on topic ;) WN
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Have you checked the rear pads? The Forza has linked brakes. If you grab the rear brake it also uses one piston on the front.

Put some brake grease on the front and rear caliper pins. Mine were sticking a lot.

How many miles/kms do you have on the front pads? My current front pads have over 90,000 km on them and still work fine. My previous front pads before greasing the pins were worn out at 17,000 km.

Where are you? How many km/miles on the scooter?
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Also check that the brake disc is properly attached and make sure the wheel is on properly.

My dented front wheel has been on for over 90,000 km.

My rear brakes were acting up during my Yukon ride. My swingarm bolts were missing.

The Forza front forks are only held on at the top (no triple tree). The factory torque on those bolts seems a little low to me, I tightened mine up a fair bit.

The other fork problem I had was there was no oil in the forks from the factory. They bottomed out very easily. Some Honda guy said it was a PDI responsibility for the dealer to add the initial oil. Is that true? They come in the factory box with no oil????
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

2014 BIKE with 185000mls.I have had since new so know total history of the bike...what has been done to it etc.
No problem experienced at all until I fitted the new front pads a few weeks ago and when applying the front brake lever....then I got the pulsing with an intermittent rubbing noise coinciding with the pulse sensation...and yes when applying only the rear brake lever, which I am aware moves the front brake centre piston, there is a slight pulse but much softer...and it all appears to come from the front wheel....so all in all suggesting it has to do with the new pads fitted affecting the front caliper...so making me think the caliper needs a full strip down service...I suspect the pistons are not operating as they should with the new pads...the pistons will be further back in their slots so one may be sticking. I do not think it has anything to do with the disk as there was no problem/noise/sensation before with the previous pads.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

wow, almost 300,000 kilometers!!!
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

of course a typing error!!...18500mls..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You don't need to disconnect the hose to service the caliper.
In fact having it connected makes servicing easier, you can use the brake lever to push the pistons out enough to clean the corroded bits.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

thanks gn2 but have already done that...twice...and no change in the problem...not even an improvement...so thinking that the problem just has to be with the caliper pistons somehow...because I cannot think what else it can be..It is not the disk...the only thing left to try is a total service of the caliper taking out the pistons etc
Unless anyone has any other suggestions as to what is causing the problem which as I say only started after fitting new brake pads.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Sorry, hadn't read all the posts.
Bacon slicer noise can be either warped or unevenly worn disc or fucked (<colorful) wheel bearing(s)
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

wheel bearings?...would that not have a noise independent of engaging brake...ie a noise when wheel was turning as opposed to when braking.
and I am not convinced there is anything wrong with the disc as there was no noise or pulsing until the brake pads were renewed. Would a warped or unevenly worn disc not have made a noise with the old pads?
As I say everything was perfect until new pads were put on.
Have had a thought...might put back in old pads and see if any pulsing or noise now?
thanks for help and ideas.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

dergav wrote:of course a typing error!!...18500mls..
I wish my lottery ticket would make the same mistake.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

What type of pads are you using?

I had a KLX250 and I put some semi-metallic pads on it. They were too hard and would not bed in properly. I ended up putting some cheaper pads on and they were just fine.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

yes I am starting to wonder if its the pads themselves...but just bog standard EBC Organic scooter pads which I have always used.
Beginning to go off the thought that its the caliper as answering points on here...gn2 and yourself... has made me think clearer. As I get the sensation /noise when applying either of the brake levers( but much softer with the rear brake lever) that seems to suggest the pistons are working OK?...so leaving the pads or the disk as the culprit....and as there was no pulse/noise with the old pads why would it be the disk?
I appreciate amateur thinking can be dangerous!
The bike runs perfectly as it always has and the braking is good and sharp so may just leave it a while and see. Cannot think of any damage I might do by just leaving it for a few miles. Its not a big deal.. just irritating its happened.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Look at the old pads. It is highly unlikely that they wore EXACTLY the same on all sides.

There is usually a slight alignment problem. The new pads have to bed in.

The Forza brakes are different than most motorcycles I have owned. Most motorcycles (KLX250, DR650, Yamaha BWS, GPZ305) wear out the front brakes first and barely use the rear brakes. The Forza has linked brakes and the motor is part of the rear swing arm. The Forza engine mount geometry does not allow as much front dive when applying both brakes. The Forza is also heavy for its size.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

dergav wrote:wheel bearings?...would that not have a noise independent of engaging brake...ie a noise when wheel was turning as opposed to when braking.
Not necessarily.
Might, might not.
Bearings best checked at rest, jack wheel up and have a wiggle about, take wheel out and have a feel of how the inner races rotate.
dergav
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by dergav »

update for interest/information...
put the old front pads back on ( still a bit of wear left in them)...and no pulsing or noise experienced. Gave it a good trial.
So...I conclude its the new pads causing the pulsing/noise ?
Examined the new pads closely but cannot see any issue with them..