First relatively long ride: impressions

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

vito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: silver

First relatively long ride: impressions

Post by vito »

I've had my PCX150 for several weeks now, but today was the first ride that I took that lasted over an hour. I did 51 miles, mostly on local country roads and a bit on city streets. Overall this scooter really, really impresses me. I won't compare it to my motorcycle, a 920 pound behemoth with an 1832cc engine, but just on its own merits. First, I am really impressed that this little 149cc engine can itself and my 200 pounds up to 65 mph. I wasn't able to maintain that speed, and even a slight uphill incline slowed me down noticeably, but still to be able to easily ride on 55mph posted roads with this light scooter shows me that once again Honda really knows how to build two wheeled vehicles. And despite pushing the scooter to as fast as I could get it to go, overall my gas mileage was still just under 100mpg. Again, very impressive. And of course everything works as it is supposed to, with no unpleasant surprises like shimmying or buzzy mirrors, or even excessive wind buffeting and noise. And I love the dashboard and easy to read instrumentation, limited though it is. Even in very bright sunlight it was easy to read.

So far, all good. The one not so good observation is the seat. Up until now the stock seat has been fine and not anything that I really noticed one way or the other. But between sitting continuously for a bit over an hour, and the 89 degree heat (with very high humidity), my butt was really burning by the time I ended the ride. Is it just me, or do others find the seat less than satisfactory for longer rides? Has anyone here replaced the seat with something that they are now satisfied with, and if so, what brand/maker did you buy? My one restriction is that I would not want to replace the seat with one that forces the rider to sit higher off the ground. This scooter was bought, in part, for my wife to use. At 5'3" the current seat is OK for her, even if she cannot fully put her feet flat on the ground. Raising it even a small amount would keep her from even trying to learn to ride the scooter.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: First relatively long ride: impressions

Post by Old Grinner »

I'd still have my 2017 PCX today if it wasn't for the seat . . .. It did everything just as you said and I'm heavier.

I've got a 50 mile route (round trip) that I take often to relax and enjoy the country/river views. I found the PCX was a chore to ride half way into it.

For quick hops around town it was "just OK".

When I bought it I noticed the seat seemed a bit firm and unforgiving but I thought it would eventually "break in" and be more accommodating.

I forget exactly how many miles I had on it before I traded it in for the Zuma 125 but I had done the first engine and final drive oil change and cleaned the oil pump screen. BTW on the first one sometimes little pieces of fuzz show up in the screen. Others here had mentioned it and low and behold I found it as well. It looks like it may have come from cloth or something. No big deal. No harm no foul. Just pick it out.

My Zuma seat has a "sweet spot" if you will but it does allow one to sit back further if need be with only a slight notice of change in the padding configuration. That said it is a bit of a high seat for some. No complaints with it. The thing just bulldozes through time and terrain. 8)

If "Cheeky Seats" was able to come up with a padded seat cover that would suffice to take the "edge off" the seat so to speak I would have bought one. But for the newer models they just offer a seat cover. That said you can get better ones for the older PCX machines that originally came with the "hump".

Not familiar with Cheeky Seats? Here's their website (nice people). If they make a cover for the XMax 300 someday I'll buy one just as a bird crap and sun ray protector . . . no padding required. :lol:

https://scooterseatcovers.net/

The PCX is a nicely designed machine but comfort is not universally standard issue . . .. :roll:
DCP_1550a.jpg
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

No aftermarket seat recommendations? Not one?
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

...and that is why I purchased an aftermarket seat from Thailand for my 2013 model. However, if you can not find one because your bike is too new for them to have made your model year yet, have it modified locally. You could also add a gel cushion. They do work well.

As far as your wife goes, you can try to locate some lowering shocks. I purchase Takegawa Lowering Shocks, but I am not sure if they make them for the 2019 model. I am not sure how you find out if there are ones that do fit your 2019.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23844615.html

https://www.cmsnl.com/products/rear-sho ... Ri_5-wpA1I
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi vito, thanks for your longer ride impressions. Seats can be a puzzlement for sure.

Not enough padding, the seats too high or too low, backrest is too forward or too far back, seats too wide, it's slippery, it's too firm! I want humpless!! :lol: Etc....

Here's a thread I posted after installing my aftermarket seat:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6008&p=83267#p83267

Btw, I'm still using it.
Today, I'd add a tad more seat padding (not on the sides though), I'd change the seats fabric to a wee bit grippier. Other than that, at 5'4 1/2" tall, I'm very satisfied.

Note: This replacement seat also lowers your seating position more than the stock seat (an inch?).
A plus if you're short and/or short legged. Not only am I flat footed but my knees are also bent. (Personally, I'd like it @ stock height, but I didn't know this before purchasing).

Note: The back support, that's a necessity for my lower once broken back.
If you want a back support on your new seat you might want to specify "where you want it" by taking some measurements. Discuss with maker > Where you want it. I believe the maker will move it forward or back to your specs.

Backless aftermarket saddles are also available (flat from front to rear).
Hope this helps :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

WhiteNoise wrote:... at 5'4 1/2" tall, I'm very satisfied. ...
Backless aftermarket saddles are also available (flat from front to rear).
For vito, we know your weight, but it might help folks with recommendations if they also know your leg/inseam length? WN's seat may not work for you if his inseam is 28" and yours is 34"?

I don't have a recommendation; I'm 190# with a 31" inseam and the stock 2015 seat has been fine for me (4th yr on the PCX).
The longest ride I've taken on it so far has been a 60 mi ride home from Estes Park (93 mi for the entire day) and I was happy with the seat for the entire ride.
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

I'm 5'7 or 8 (I know I am shrinking as I age) and have a 29 inch inseam that used to be 30. The seat is fine for me, but my wife is closer to 5'4".
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
HondaC110
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Bronze

Post by HondaC110 »

Spencer at greatdaytoride.com did a fine job of modifying the seats on both of my Triumphs.
You might want to contact.him to see if he does scooters....
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

After an accident with some nerve contusion and a lot of numbness, I bought one of these as a temporary measure:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tucano-Urban ... 2749.l2649

It's a cheap solution if you're only occasionally doing longer rides. I'm using it on my daily commute for now. It is quite synthetic and textured but definitely more spongy than the stock seat when it comes to potholes and rough roads, and it allows the air to flow underneath me keeping my seat noticeably cooler. Takes 5 seconds to attach and less to remove.
G'Bru
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

HondaC110 wrote:Spencer at greatdaytoride.com did a fine job of modifying the seats on both of my Triumphs.
You might want to contact.him to see if he does scooters....
I contacted Spencer and he already replied that he does not work on scooter seats. But thanks for the suggestion.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

gbru2505 wrote:After an accident with some nerve contusion and a lot of numbness, I bought one of these as a temporary measure:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tucano-Urban ... 2749.l2649

It's a cheap solution if you're only occasionally doing longer rides. I'm using it on my daily commute for now. It is quite synthetic and textured but definitely more spongy than the stock seat when it comes to potholes and rough roads, and it allows the air to flow underneath me keeping my seat noticeably cooler. Takes 5 seconds to attach and less to remove.
Thanks, but checking the link you provided shows that they do not ship to the U.S. And I am afraid that this would raise the height of the seat just enough to make my wife feel unsteady. I may just have to find a local shop that can modify the height and padding material of the stock seat.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

vito, did you read my reply above? I was hoping it would help with your situation, Re: Recommendation for aftermarket "lower" seat.
Other online websites (most overseas) sell them. Another: https://www.powerbypcx.com/en/70-comfort-pcx-v4 -

I believe our forum still gets a 10% off discount when purchasing with powerbypcx.
He's a member and started this thread awhile ago:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=208&start=160
The last member using a discount is on page 9 where a member mentions PM'ing PBPCX for the 10% off coupon.

Up to you. Hope you find the seating results you,....No, your wife needs ;) because, This scoot is a Hoot!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
vito
Regular User
Regular User

Post by vito »

Got out again on the PCX for a nice long ride, again about 50 miles. I really will have to do something about the seat, my butt was burning like crazy. And when I read that the PCX150 is supposed to be able to do 70mph, I think that must be with some tiny people riding it. I'm 200 pounds, and today on a long open stretch, without any wind to speak of, I pinned the throttle to get it as fast as it would go and I never hit 65. I made it to 64, but that was it. I don't know if a windscreen would help or hurt for top speed capability. FWIW, the little almost nonexistent screen on the stock scooter actually does a pretty decent job of blocking the wind buffetting, but in the long run I think I will still get something bigger. I emailed Givi and asked if they make a screen for the 2019 PCX150 and have not heard back from them yet.
U.S. Army retired
Former MSF Instructor
Fully retired!
2019 Honda PCX150
2021 Can Am Spyder RT
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

vito wrote:Thanks, but checking the link you provided shows that they do not ship to the U.S. And I am afraid that this would raise the height of the seat just enough to make my wife feel unsteady. I may just have to find a local shop that can modify the height and padding material of the stock seat.
The PCX engine/shocks/weight are not designed for freeway/motorway speeds. It's a basic a>b about-town runaround. There is advice on the forum about how to get the PCX to do things it's not designed to do. Just a quick look on eBay.com finds some direct shipping from Italy to the US on the cooling seat I suggested. As far as your wife goes, it takes a few seconds to add or remove the pad, so it won't affect her ride negatively. If you lower the seat for your wife - are you still intending to ride the bike? Will a lowered seat fit you aswell?
G'Bru