Adjustment procedure for rear shocks on Honda Forza 300?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Adjustment procedure for rear shocks on Honda Forza 300?

Post by Whitestix »

I weight 180 lbs and I think the rear shocks on my 2014 Forza are rather harsh riding over our crappy city streets. The adjustment on my Reflex took seconds, but the proximity of the muffler on the right shock has lead my scooter mechanic to inform me that he will have to take off the muffler to adjust it, which seems screwy and pricey. It appears that a pin spanner that is angled at maybe a 45 degree would be necessary but I have looked in vain for such a tool.

The shocks are set at 3 and I want to try them at 1. Can anyone suggest a way to do this without the need to remove the muffler?

Thanks a million, Mark
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Re: Adjustment procedure for rear shocks on Honda Forza 300?

Post by SteveP »

I believe I've used a large pair of channel lock pliers successfully. Put the scooter up on it's center stand to minimize the preload on the spring. The shock can easily be removes from the scooter also...no need to remove and panels or the muffler.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

It can be done with a really big set of channel lock or water pump pliers. There is, however, an official Honda tool for the task. It is a two piece spanner wrench that assembles at a weird angle. It is STILL a PITA to use since the handle is short for the force required, but at least you don't have to fiddle with the muffler.

Part #89215-KSV-J00 Spanner, Pin
PArt #89219-KSV-J00 Handle, Eye Wrench
Allegedly available from a Honda dealer, or at least they were back in 2014.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

This place claims to have the parts available, but on special order.
https://www.louispowersportsonline.com/ ... 15-ksv-j00
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Whitestix »

I checked out parts spanner parts recommended in 2014, but only one of them is available but will check out the other suggested link. I'm on 3 and I want to get to 1.... Thanks, Mark
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

It is super easy. Put the Forza on the centerstand. You use a big flat bladed screw driver inserted about 2/3 of the way up the spring to pry the spring up. Carefully rest the flat of the screwdriver on the top of the tire and lever the spring up. All of the tension is now off of the adjuster. Then you can turn the adjuster with your fingers.

Mine hasn't been adjusted in 80,000 km so I would probably have to spray the adjuster with WD40 just to free up the mud and corrosion.

If you are really clumsy put a piece of wood on top of the tire first. If you are super clumsy get someone else to do the adjustment.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Scooter on centresand, remove the bottom shock mount bolt, pull the shock backwards to clear the muffler, turn the adjuster with your hand and bolt the shock back in place.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Gn2's method is probably the easiest. ......nut I swear my Forza came with an off-set handle for the tool, in the OEM tool kit.
It's been 4 yrs...but pretty sure I was able to adjust the shock, and I'm not very clever.
BTW, what are your thoughts about the statement that these adjustment rings on scooter shocks do NOTHING other than raise or lower ride height? That is has absolutely no effect on ride characteristics....neither to soften or firm the ride.
A scooter forum member put forth this idea as the gospel.....in several paragraphs of his evidence.
Fish
SteveP
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Post by SteveP »

fish wrote:Gn2's method is probably the easiest. ......nut I swear my Forza came with an off-set handle for the tool, in the OEM tool kit.
It's been 4 yrs...but pretty sure I was able to adjust the shock, and I'm not very clever.
BTW, what are your thoughts about the statement that these adjustment rings on scooter shocks do NOTHING other than raise or lower ride height? That is has absolutely no effect on ride characteristics....neither to soften or firm the ride.
A scooter forum member put forth this idea as the gospel.....in several paragraphs of his evidence.
Fish
The adjustments set the pre-load of the spring...what force it takes to initially move the wheel/shock, so it should have some effect on ride height and the first movement to a bump in the road, depending on weight of rider and scooter. The springs on the Forza are variable rate...the spacing between coils varies...as the coils of the spring contact each other the spring becomes stiffer in effect (they no longer "twist" with movement). So it would seem if you set the pre-load at lowest setting (longest spring) it should have some effect on producing a softer ride for lighter riders/scooter...up to point where coils start touching each other. So it would seem....
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:BTW, what are your thoughts about the statement that these adjustment rings on scooter shocks do NOTHING other than raise or lower ride height? That is has absolutely no effect on ride characteristics....neither to soften or firm the ride.
Fish
They're called "preload" adjusters not "ride height" adjusters.
I wonder why that is?

https://lifeatlean.com/teach-me-suspens ... g-preload/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Whitestix
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Whitestix »

You fellas are a fount of knowledge and your helpful tips will say me $100 in scooter shop labor charges. Amazing the scooter shop mechanics weren't aware of this simple adjustment technique. Thanks for taking the time to help out a guy with ten thumbs! This is a wonderfully informative forum.
Jockay
Year: 2019 Forza 300
Color: Blue

Post by Jockay »

Not long after buying my Forza in 2014 I too needed to change the rear shock settings a number of times til I finally settled on position No 4.

When I first tried to adjust the muffler side shock I just could not do it even with the offset tool provided by Honda because I could not properly access the adjuster so I took my F3 back to the dealership for them to adjust it which they did do in minutes whilst I observed.

The technician just loosened off the three muffler bolts (removal not required) which then allowed enough access to the adjuster, then adjusted the shock with tool provided and torqued the bolts back up.

The technician gave me the torque settings which then enabled me to adjust the shock easily and quickly a couple of times thereafter.
Jockay

Post by Jockay »

PS

I have had a 2019 model Forza 300 for a eight months now. Both rear shocks on the latest model can be easily adjusted (once again I settled on position No 4) - No shock bolt removal or muffler bolt loosening required.

Just to digress - My new bike had quite a death wobble until finally, after a couple of months or so, I got the problem resolved. One of the suggested causes was incorrect rear shock position settings but it wasn't anything to do with that.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

what was causing the wobble?
Jockay

Post by Jockay »

A long story but I was not happy with a very worrying and unsettling steering wobble which mostly evidenced itself when slowing down under engine breaking and with a light touch on handlebars.

Dealership replaced front Pirelli Diablo Scooter Tyre with a new Pirelli Diablo Rosso Scooter Tyre under warranty.

They also replaced the front wheel bearings and balanced the wheel.

All AOK since with no further wobbling.

My take on the problem is that the new Forza 300 is very sensitive to the slightest front wheel / tyre imbalance.

I have wondered if the problem would have existed had Michelin City Grips been fitted to the Forza 300 instead of the Pirelli tyres.

The latest Forza 125 model has Michelin City Grips fitted as standard as did my own 2018 model Forza 125 which had no wobble issues whatsoever.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

More likely to have been the steering head bearings.