Bike Lift for ease of maintenance

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Bike Lift for ease of maintenance

Post by iceman »

I know there has been discussion on this over the years, but I am still in need of purchasing one as I do not like the idea of working on the bike on the front yard (no garage). There seems to be two types:

1) Small, fairly basic lift that has two rubberised lengths that sit 90deg's across the underside middle section of the bike when it lifts - basically around the floor pan area if I can call it that
2) larger, heavier lift that the whole bike sits on and many come with front wheel clamps.

I believe some people have used type 1 quite successfully, I just wanted to check it's safe and will cause no issues to raise the bike like this (it seems there is no need to remove the exhaust on the PCX, unlike other scooters, as long as it's not hot). They also seem to come in approx 20-28KG's which is not too bad to store and bring out when needed.

I would prefer type 2, however they mostly seem to retail about £350 (I would be fine with around £200) but the problem is their weight which is in the 130-160KG's area - much too heavy and cumbersome to store in house and bring out to the front yard - I have front door steps and modest UK size house - much smaller than many homes in the US :)

Any guidance would be appreciated as there are lots of work I really should start doing on the bike, despite it running like a dream & still giving 132mpg (fuelly) after 4 years and getting on for 16,000 miles (only front pads and rear tyre (both once) and oil 3 times in it's life - poor thing)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Bike Lift for ease of maintenance

Post by Mel46 »

There are many different ways to lift a motorcycle so I think in your case the question of storage of the lift would be your first concern.

Here is a lift that is an idea for you. I dont know if a standard car jack could be modified to do the same thing, but it's a thought.
https://www.harborfreight.com/1500-lbs- ... 63397.html
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I've got a 1500 lb. lift that I've used for years on my motorcycles. . .not yet though for the PCX. Those lower body panels would have to be removed of course.

That said I've had to be very careful with it. It is a balancing act. It has been a money saver though allowing me to do some work on my own without having to pay a dealership mechanic at their rates. :roll:

You also have to be careful how you use it so as not to damage the exhaust or any other area under the engine/frame that could get damaged. I've done what I've needed to do to make it work.

I've used rope to tie off the bikes laterally (from the passenger hand grabs) so they wouldn't tip right or left. If you can't find something to secure the rope to then it's better to have another person working along with you to keep it steady just in case. Generally the bikes will sit just fine but better to be safe than sorry.

Also, if I remove a bike wheel I always put something under the front forks or rear swing arm to give additional stability.

There are usually locking devices on the lifts. The castor wheels need to be locked and there are usually bars that you need to lock into place so that if the pressure drops a bit in the hydraulics the lift won't collapse immediately or over time. You have to be careful with that pressure release valve when using the lift also. Make sure it's tight going into the job and very slowly relieve the pressure when you want to lower the bike after the job is done. It's takes a bit of concentration and skill. It's best to practice using it a few times without a bike on it so as to get used to how it functions. More weight on the lift will make the pressure release more quickly so again I can't stress enough the fact that you have to be very slow and deliberate when using that hydraulic pressure release valve. :geek:

Mine is similar to this one which sounds like your item #1. :geek:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Big-Red-1-5 ... wQod4XAIZg
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Thanks for that. It seems the full length bike lifted type is the way to go, as with the smaller type 1 style it seems so much needs to come off, or should come off to safely lift the bike anyway - trim, exhaust, etc.
I've been contemplating making a DIY one that can be assembled and taken apart for storage, lots of ideas on youtube.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

That would be the way to go. I believe someone else on this forum made a DIY one as well a little while back. When you are limited on space it is the best way to go. Just be safe and make sure the bike won't fall over on you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

+1
As you saw and said ice, many custom tables out there.
Here's a link to give you an idea of materials used on one you can Buy.
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-alum ... crate.html
^ But why? ^ When you can build similar yerself - to your specs/strength/weight, etc

Have fun! Build it! Show it Off Here 8)

More:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... ilit=Lifts
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Still thinking about which way to go for a lift table, but just ordered a service kit for when the time comes.
All supposedly Honda original parts for 2015-2018 LED models (mines a '14 reg but classed as a 15 model) and includes belt (dual sided ribbing), filter, plug, rollers and sliders - £55 delivered off Ebay.
For the 1st time since I purchased the bike, and that was slightly over 4 years ago, I just checked the air filter. After 15,000 miles it and the housing were fairly clean - some dirt in all the gaps but overall not in too bad nick. Unlike most of the rest of the underside and engine - lots of grime to brush / scrape off.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: White /red

Post by MikeP »

I have grown tired of rolling on the ground to service my scooter so I designed a custom lift based upon my needs.
It can be adjusted to any height if desired.

I have two scoots now, a 2013 with 47,000km on it (bought it new) and a 2015 with 3000km. The first one is due for brakes, brake fluid flush, and a good detailing of the drive system. So this summer it gets worked on as I ride the 2015.

When not in use as a lift, it makes a great workbench so it is usefull for other things.

Below is a link of the lift in action.
Ignore the plump guy, he was just a stand in while I made the video. :lol:

https://youtu.be/IV05IExT9Ac
Attachments
20190317_214640_crop_1200x900.jpg
20190317_214640_crop_1200x900.jpg (746.72 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
20190317_214538_crop_1200x900.jpg
20190317_214538_crop_1200x900.jpg (727.25 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
20190321_112848_crop_1200x900.jpg
20190321_112848_crop_1200x900.jpg (734.01 KiB) Viewed 1246 times
Happiness is two wheels and a full tank of gas!
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I have grown tired of rolling on the ground to service my scooter so I designed a custom lift based upon my needs.
It can be adjusted to any height if desired.

I have two scoots now, a 2013 with 47,000km on it (bought it new) and a 2015 with 3000km. The first one is due for brakes, brake fluid flush, and a good detailing of the drive system. So this summer it gets worked on as I ride the 2015.

When not in use as a lift, it makes a great workbench so it is usefull for other things.
Brilliant! :D

Great idea to use a boat trailer winch. . ..

It really is a lot easier working on a bike/scooter higher off the ground. My 1500 lb. store bought lift doesn't go that high but it's just enough to remove/replace wheels.

Just curious if you use a ramp to load and unload the scoot off your lift. :geek:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bloody impressive that.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Forgot the ramp, its a 2 x 10 plank thats 6ft long so it fits under the table when not in use. Nice easy grade to roll the bike up on.
Attachments
20190323_080914_crop_1200x900.jpg
20190323_080914_crop_1200x900.jpg (613.01 KiB) Viewed 1224 times
Brendan
Color: black

Post by Brendan »

Well, well, I am glad I saw this, I am contemplating doing the same thing. Thanks for sharing, good video too.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

First time really using my bike lift. Getting the pajamas off the 2015 pcx was interesting to say the least.
Checked the valves, too tight so adjusted. Changed oil and final drive. Now installing driving lights. Thats the reason for all the plastics off. I want to tie into the switched ignition. Only 3100km on her, cant wait to get it on the road.
Attachments
20190527_081707-768x1024.jpg
20190527_081707-768x1024.jpg (205.78 KiB) Viewed 1110 times
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

MikeP, that is very cool. I like that a lot. A suggestion, for securing the bike and to avoid any unfortunate mishaps would be to install some eyes or hooks and use tie downs to secure the scooter in place.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

honkerman wrote:MikeP, that is very cool. I like that a lot. A suggestion, for securing the bike and to avoid any unfortunate mishaps would be to install some eyes or hooks and use tie downs to secure the scooter in place.

It is tied down isn’t it.
MikeP
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by MikeP »

Thanks for the tip honkerman. It is tied down across the back end, but I agree 2 straps tied to hooks would be better.

you you, you have a good eye for detail.
Attachments
PhotoPictureResizer_190530_051753463_crop_261x548.jpg
PhotoPictureResizer_190530_051753463_crop_261x548.jpg (44.18 KiB) Viewed 1063 times
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Ah hah! That strap blended in to my eye. Good that you did that though.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Something else to consider would be a removable wheel chock. Nice, but not necessary if you have good tie down straps already.

That said, I have one on my utility trailer . . ..

When I need to move a scooter or bike I just slide the thing on into the fittings that are already mounted to the deck and insert the locking screw.

Pingel makes different types and sizes. :D

http://www.pingelonline.com/wheel-chock ... -3-1-2.asp