Rear Shocks

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Rear Shocks

Post by alx123 »

Neil955i wrote:
alx123 wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Even if you just use your bike for work you should be comfortable when riding. In any case, why be uncomfortable while riding to work?
Correct me if I'm wrong.

Isn't it that the softer the shock the more comfortable and smoother the ride is? The only problem is softer shocks bottoms quick in bigger bumps causing a thud.

Stiffer aftermarkets on the other hand doesn't bottom out that fast on bigger bumps but not as smooth as the softer shocks on good roads.

I find the stock shocks soft, which I think is better for me on good roads. (only 68 kgs)

Only bottoms out on big bumps when I have a pillion.

I'm thinking of upgrading the shocks, but hesitant with the more stiffer YSS cause it might lessen the comfort of the ride.

So I'm thinking that if you weigh like me, maybe the stock shock is perfect, and upgrading to a more stiffer aftermarket shock will actually be counter-intuitive.

I'm just confused. :?
It's whatever floats your boat! If, at 68 kgs (you lucky devil), you don't experience discomfort with the stock shocks, then fine stick with them. I found that for my considerably more than 68 kgs I had problems with both bottoming out and (lack of) ground clearance. The aftermarket YSS shocks have cured both for me whilst still giving a smooth ride on good surfaces. Result!
The PCX is made in Thailand, so the OEM shock is probably designed for lighter Asians like me. It's actually the front forks that are causing some riding nuisance, so I might probably upgrade it first.

But the YSS DTG Hybrid rear shock is just barely $45 here, and it looks much much better than the OEM, so the temptation is still there.

dtg.jpg
dtg.jpg (203.09 KiB) Viewed 382 times
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...