2017 runs rough during low RPM

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

2017 runs rough during low RPM

Post by PCX2016 »

I sold my 2016 and picked up a 2017 with 1100 kilometers on it. The next day after starting the engine, the check engine light went off. I returned to the shop and they changed out some box I think. Sitting on the bike, the bix was on the left side (internally).
Now the check engine light is out, but the engine feels rough during low rpm's. My 2016 was smooth, not like this 2017
American in Cambodia !!!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: 2017 runs rough during low RPM

Post by GeorgeSK »

Pure speculation, but if they replaced the Engine Control Unit (ECU), it has to "learn" your environment and driving style. Wait a week (or 250-300 km) before panicking, but if it is still an issue, go back to the shop. It might, however, be a good idea to alert them to your issue pretty much immediately.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I might suggest that you disconnect one of the battery leads, wait 10 minutes, and reconnect it. That should reset the ecu so that it can learn your habits again, though if they replaced the ecu itself when it was in the shop you will be in the same situation already. There are a few things that could have been replaced by them, so find out if it was the ecu or not before doing this.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

PCX2016 wrote:I sold my 2016 and picked up a 2017 with 1100 kilometers on it. The next day after starting the engine, the check engine light went off. I returned to the shop and they changed out some box I think. Sitting on the bike, the bix was on the left side (internally).
Now the check engine light is out, but the engine feels rough during low rpm's. My 2016 was smooth, not like this 2017
Take it back to the shop pronto.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Check spark plug lead is tightly connected.Also check all plugs and wiring.
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

GeorgeSK wrote:Pure speculation, but if they replaced the Engine Control Unit (ECU), it has to "learn" your environment and driving style. Wait a week (or 250-300 km) before panicking, but if it is still an issue, go back to the shop. It might, however, be a good idea to alert them to your issue pretty much immediately.

Thanks for this, I will keep an eye out...
American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

The strong vibration during the low end was fixed; I believe they changed the flywheel. Yesterday the service engine light came on right when I got home, the moto shut off. This morning it started no problem, however, the svc engine light was on the whole way to work. When I got to work I had my wife call the shop and of course, now the service engine light is off.

Are there any aftermarket diagnostic readers available?
American in Cambodia !!!