been quiet - had some brake issues

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

been quiet - had some brake issues

Post by honkerman »

howdy folks.

Been a while, I know. With work and such I haven't had a whole lot of time to invest in my more enjoyable pursuits. one of the things I've always enjoyed, though, and that I had a chance to do again back in October, is taking longer trips on my scooter. I went up to Dubois PA, about 200 miles from here, mostly secondary highways, on a Saturday with a return trip the next day. It all went according to plan on the way up...

On the return trip, things got a little more interesting. I started to notice a little wobble at the front end, nothing like a death wobble thankfully, just what felt like a bit of a balance issue. I stopped for gas and checked what I could see but everything seemed fine. A bit further down the road I observed some odd feelings from both brake levers. Turns out the center piston on the front caliper was hanging up. If I snapped the left brake lever, it seemed to relieve the issue, so I just relied on the outer two pistons for the rest of the ride home...And had no back brakes for over 100 miles.

I don't really recommend it.

I didn't ride the scoot at all during the winter and replaced the caliper this spring. It was an easy job and I figured out how to get at the CBS brake fluid reservoir. Interestingly, you don't need to remove any back panels to get at it, despite what the manual says. I'll have to make a vid of that, but didn't have a camera man to help when I was doing the caliper job.

Also, Harbor Freight has a decent motorcycle jack for $100.

video of the trip home with the wonky caliper:

Video of the trip up before the caliper started acting up:
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Re: been quiet - had some brake issues

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I am confused. What happened to your caliper? It froze up? Did you replace it in the winter? 100% confused with your post as to what happened.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

honkerman wrote: Turns out the center piston on the front caliper was hanging up. If I snapped the left brake lever, it seemed to relieve the issue, so I just relied on the outer two pistons for the rest of the ride home...And had no back brakes for over 100 miles.
I thought the caliber has only two pistons. What do you mean by "hanging up"? What does relieving the issue mean? Back to normal front brake operation? Then why not use the rear brakes?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
honkerman wrote: Turns out the center piston on the front caliper was hanging up. If I snapped the left brake lever, it seemed to relieve the issue, so I just relied on the outer two pistons for the rest of the ride home...And had no back brakes for over 100 miles.
I thought the caliber has only two pistons. What do you mean by "hanging up"? What does relieving the issue mean? Back to normal front brake operation? Then why not use the rear brakes?
If you have Combined brake, the front caliper has three pistons. The center of the three is for the combined brakes. I could feel the left brake lever go firm on me and the front wheel would wobble a bit. If I snapped the lever on and off, it would go back to normal.
Attachments
Three piston caliper
Three piston caliper
ECD5FA30-1E48-43CE-811F-AC50AC6FFA5C.jpeg (51.87 KiB) Viewed 1045 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:
Here's a followup video also, with a little more explanation. long story short, I had to replace the caliper. cost me $80 for a new one, but it was an easy job. I probably could have done a rebuild, but decided to just replace it.

Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

honkerman wrote:I figured out how to get at the CBS brake fluid reservoir. Interestingly, you don't need to remove any back panels to get at it, despite what the manual says. I'll have to make a vid of that, but didn't have a camera man to help when I was doing the caliper job.
I broke all but one of the yellow/white pillars off the two 'outer - inner' panels trying to get access to the CBS reservoir - no other panels removed as the service manual stated they just pull off - basically pull and slide to one side or the other but I did not pull to one side - doh!'
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

iceman wrote:
honkerman wrote:I figured out how to get at the CBS brake fluid reservoir. Interestingly, you don't need to remove any back panels to get at it, despite what the manual says. I'll have to make a vid of that, but didn't have a camera man to help when I was doing the caliper job.
I broke all but one of the yellow/white pillars off the two 'outer - inner' panels trying to get access to the CBS reservoir - no other panels removed as the service manual stated they just pull off - basically pull and slide to one side or the other but I did not pull to one side - doh!'
I came close, but I really take my time with clips so I managed to avoid that.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

Good idea on getting a new caliper. Definitely safer. Glad it resolved the issue. Thank you for explaining. I didn't even know the caliper had three piston, thought there were only two.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Glad the brakes are back to normal . . ..

Have fun stopping at all the traffic lights! :lol:

Just kidding.

Great video. :D
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

Old Grinner wrote:Glad the brakes are back to normal . . ..

Have fun stopping at all the traffic lights! :lol:

Just kidding.

Great video. :D
Heheh, indeed. Stupid traffic lights.

In case anyone is interested, here is what the cbs caliper looks like disassembled.
Attachments
FB4B2749-D621-4CD6-B958-D75CFF70558C.jpeg
FB4B2749-D621-4CD6-B958-D75CFF70558C.jpeg (135.27 KiB) Viewed 924 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
RobV
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Post by RobV »

Any chance of some more details of how to get at the CBS reservoir? Is it just a matter of the cover being stiff to remove?