Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin - 2018

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 Twin - 2018

Post by chicaboo »

Grinner: You know my weakness for classic styled motos! How am I meant to stay a recovering cager with this level of temptation?
SWM have some competition (sort of) with bigger capacity now. I've seen claims stating 47kW and 47hp, anyone know which it is?
For ergonomics I would go for the Interceptor over the GT and get the little headlamp visor. A bit pricey for an Indian bike though...
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Royal Enfield 650 engine fitted to the Interceptor and Continental GT is very definitely 47hp, (35kw) which makes it suitable for riders with an A2 licence.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

They also fit into my 660cc restricted RE licence down here.
Unfortunately they're priced close to Kwaka Vulcan 650 S... :o
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Vulcan £6800 Interceptor £5300 hereabouts.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

The Enfield twins are a little over $10k AUD here. The Vulcan 650 is around $11k, but a lot more bike.
The SWM Silver Vase 440 runout models are $5k for the big tank and the non ABS round tank style.
When the new SWM ABS models hit our shores I expect the price to rise 2 or 3k.
Anyhow, Royal Enfield must still think they're British down there with that pricing...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Rode past a new Norton Commando today. Looked nice, much better than the pictures.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:Rode past a new Norton Commando today. Looked nice, much better than the pictures.
Hideously unreliable though and parts supply extremely shaky.
Thruxton R much better.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

chicaboo wrote:The Enfield twins are a little over $10k AUD here. The Vulcan 650 is around $11k, but a lot more bike.
Can't understand why you think Vulcan is more bike?
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

gn2 wrote:
chicaboo wrote:The Enfield twins are a little over $10k AUD here. The Vulcan 650 is around $11k, but a lot more bike.
Can't understand why you think Vulcan is more bike?
Demographics and styling aside - there's no question marks or concerns over Kwaka quality, good power from the liquid cooled en6 650cc (although Aus output is the same, it can easily be de-governed), optional fitment service at point of purchase for bars, seat and pegs (a rort if you want to change them later...), good road manners for a cruiser. Just a shit exhaust and limited by it's low slung nature in corners.

I expect an Indian import that costs less than 3 lakhs (~$6000 AUD) in its home country with the only mod-con being ABS to be more competitively priced. I guess if you want to be seen competing against the HD 500X and Vulcan cruisers (the media makes the comparison), pricing yourself just under them is one way to go about it. To me the twins are really competing against the older Conti 535, SWM 440s and the SR. We don't have Mash or other cheap retro styled roadsters, so it's a shame to see it priced how it is down here.

Otherwise, everything else I've seen about the twins seems fine for the most part. I can't find a resounding consensus on the seat comfort, handling and peg placement - it seems to be split down the middle.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I expect an Indian import that costs less than 3 lakhs (~$6000 AUD) in its home country with the only mod-con being ABS to be more competitively priced. I guess if you want to be seen competing against the HD 500X and Vulcan cruisers (the media makes the comparison), pricing yourself just under them is one way to go about it. To me the twins are really competing against the older Conti 535, SWM 440s and the SR. We don't have Mash or other cheap retro styled roadsters, so it's a shame to see it priced how it is down here.
Talk about pricing? Even a nice Triumph 500 twin reintroduction would be great I think and it should surely sell below the new Bonneville prices. Well . . . at least one would think. :geek:

Where's that Dr. Who phone booth time machine when you need it? :lol:

chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Yeah, Triumph and Ducati only have one sub 660cc "learner bike" in Aus from $14k AUD - bloody hell. And the W650 is no more.
This Indian chap has really good detailed criticisms of the interceptor. It seems the Conti GT would've been a better fit for him.

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

And the W650 is no more.
Sadly . . .. :roll:

When I first saw it some years ago I really wanted one. But the realities and lack of funds at the time were not going to allow that.

Now Kawasaki has the new W800 but it's a $10K bike. Expensive. It's also a Cafe style machine instead of being like a standard Triumph Bonneville.

Really like it as well but doubt I'll ever get another machine. What I have now is what I'll ride until I can't ridezzz no more! :lol:

https://www.kawasaki.com/motorcycle/w/r ... LIST-_-MPP
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The 2019 W800 Kwak comes in two varieties, Street and Cafe.
Both are ridiculously expensive for what is such an old bike with very little new design input.

Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Kawasaki copying the Triumph marketing strategy - selling more the image than anything substantial. HD, BMW and Ducati all do it very well too. Honda, to a certain extent, have done it with the new Cub.

I'm not saying that there are no decent motorcycles within that lot but water cooling suddenly gave everyone the right to mark up their prices heavily and produce "artistically pleasing" toys for the well off. Having owned a number of older Triumphs (including a couple of Bonnevilles) I was massively underwhelmed when I sat on one of their latest offerings. It felt like it was designed and built by a computer and I really wouldn't like to get one wet. Nice for the local bike meets though, 15 miles every second weekend throughout the summer. If you've got the money, why not? Plenty of people seem to have these days.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
you you wrote:Rode past a new Norton Commando today. Looked nice, much better than the pictures.
Thruxton R much better.

Every word you type makes me so appreciate I’m not Scottish :lol: :lol:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

you you wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Thruxton R much better.

Every word you type makes me so appreciate I’m not Scottish :lol: :lol:
I'm thrilled that you're not Scottish too.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Saw another one last Friday in silver bloody nice and sounds even better.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Always refreshing to see some authentic looking retro styled bikes . . ..

Better yet to see the genuine articles at a Vintage Meet. I'm going to try to make it to the "Brit Jam" this year in Haddam, CT. 8)

Only owned one Triumph but always a pleasure to see the Royal Enfields, Nortons, BSAs, and Triumphs from days of yore.

Here's the home page and a listing of events from the British Iron Association of Connecticut. Good to know there are still those who keep the tradition going on this side of the pond too! :D

http://www.ctbritiron.org/

https://www.ctbritiron.org/event-index.htm
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I can't get enough of the twins (except the Aussie pricing...):

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Talk about pricing? Even a nice Triumph 500 twin reintroduction would be great I think and it should surely sell below the new Bonneville prices. Well . . . at least one would think. :geek:
Ohhhh - now THAT would be wonderful. I’d want a single carb version tho, just easier to live with. What a sweet bike.