Extra helmet?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

BlakeyD
Year: 2019
Color: Grey

Extra helmet?

Post by BlakeyD »

I’m a relatively new rider and have had a couple friends ask for rides on the scoot. I am wondering if any of you keep extra helmets for passengers. If so, what size? Half helmet? This would just be for fun little rides around my neighborhood, 35 mph max. Thanks!
Hax
Year: 2016
Color: Black

Re: Extra helmet?

Post by Hax »

I am happy with open face helmets, although my main helmet is a ROOF, which can be worn as full or open face.
If you haven't ridden two up before definitely try it out somewhere safe before going out on the road, as it is very different to solo riding, until you get used to it. I haven't taken a pillion for several years now and am not currently insured to do so (in the UK you have to pay extra to take pillions-a con that they started about 5 years ago).
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Save yourself the eventual lawsuit and just say you can't.. If you have to ask, you're not ready.
I believe in Australia you need to have held an open licence for 1 year before you can carry a pillion - no idea about the wild west?
Even just having an empty top box on the back of your PCX negatively affects the handling, let alone the weight of an inexperienced pillion passenger potentially moving around.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

I've thought about this myself, but eventually decided that the request happens so infrequently (I've given rides twice in six years of scooter ownership) that it wasn't worth buying extra helmets for "I wanna ride!" passengers. And how many helmets do you buy for occasional guests? For effective protection they need to wear the correct size. Medium is the most common adult size, but anyone needing a larger size won't fit and anyone needing a smaller size won't be properly protected.

It's different if you have a significant other (or child) who wants frequent rides. In that case I'd definitely spring for a 2nd helmet for that person.
Inoplanetyanin
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: WHITE

Post by Inoplanetyanin »

I have few older helmets that I land to passengers. I feel confident in my riding abilities and tell the passengers to be a dead weight and not move unexpectedly.

This is not such a big deal. I rode with a passenger on a 110 Honda Elite from Arkansas to LA, it was fine (and fun).
People these days are overly concerned with lawsuits and liability. Lawyers seem to be choking the life out of people.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:I have few older helmets that I land to passengers. I feel confident in my riding abilities and tell the passengers to be a dead weight and not move unexpectedly.

This is not such a big deal. I rode with a passenger on a 110 Honda Elite from Arkansas to LA, it was fine (and fun).
People these days are overly concerned with lawsuits and liability. Lawyers seem to be choking the life out of people.

Exactly.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It's a complicated situation but at the end of the day . . . these days . . . perhaps a simple "No" to a request to take someone for a ride may best for now. It's up to you though.

We do live in a litigious world and medical care is extremely expensive. People do sue and are encouraged to all the time on advertisements in the media. Even dog owners have to be real careful now.

After all my years of riding I am less inclined to take a pillion rider now. When I do it's rare and I pick my route discretely to avoid traffic. I do have an extra helmet from when my kids were growing up and if they want to take a quick ride sometime with me they can still use it. But I never took one of my kids on a bike until they were old enough to drive on their own.

Bottom line is that if you get a passenger who is not a "bike savvy" individual they can literally run you into a ditch by unexpectedly shifting their weight or going into panic mode for some reason.

The best passengers are the ones who just sit like a package. They let the bike do it's thing and cooperate with the experience. The ones who are control freaks are not good passengers. You can feel them working against you when you try to lean by trying to remain upright for example.

It's a personal decision at the end of the day . . . and within the limits of the local Law . . . so I suggest before you take on any passenger you get a lot more experience riding yourself and even then think of the consequences if something goes wrong.

On another note, it's still fun to ride with a bunch of other people who have their own scooters or motorcycles and use good formation riding skills. Just my two cents worth . . .. 8)

These times are like no other. Digital device distraction, prescription medication abuse, people aging out of their driving skills but won't admit it, competition for space, lack of empathy or courtesy on the road, people in a rush, displaced wildlife running with reckless abandon in the streets, and the list goes on . . ..
CTPCX
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: red

Post by CTPCX »

Old Grinner
I remember the first time being a passenger on my friend's home made chopper in the '70s. He told me to just be "a package I tied on the seat and don't ever think you can help me steer".
Liked your statement about "displaced wildlife". I'm in Ivoryton but have lived in OS in the past. Used to have deer, turkey and foxes in my yard every night. Surrounded by marshes and few trees. Where did they come from??
2015 Ruckus
2016 PCX
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Inoplanetyanin wrote:I have few older helmets that I land to passengers. I feel confident in my riding abilities and tell the passengers to be a dead weight and not move unexpectedly.

My dad was struck by a kangaroo with his significant other on the back on time. The bike came down and they both got bad injuries - she sued him...
Dad was a very experienced rider, she was a very experienced pillion passenger. None of that mattered against an unavoidable random kangaroo encounter.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote:

My dad was struck by a kangaroo with his significant other on the back on time. The bike came down and they both got bad injuries - she sued him...
Dad was a very experienced rider, she was a very experienced pillion passenger. None of that mattered against an unavoidable random kangaroo encounter.

That’s very good advice. I’ll probably still take people on the back but I’ll be sure to be extra alert over kangaroos.
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

you you wrote:
chicaboo wrote:

That’s very good advice. I’ll probably still take people on the back but I’ll be sure to be extra alert over kangaroos.
At least on your side of the world they would hop on the correct side of the road.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Old Grinner
I remember the first time being a passenger on my friend's home made chopper in the '70s. He told me to just be "a package I tied on the seat and don't ever think you can help me steer".
Liked your statement about "displaced wildlife". I'm in Ivoryton but have lived in OS in the past. Used to have deer, turkey and foxes in my yard every night. Surrounded by marshes and few trees. Where did they come from??
Hey . . . small world eh?

So you know exactly what I mean! :D

BTW if you go up the hill next to the Ivoryton Playhouse and head towards Winthrop watch out for deer near the water sources. I had 5 run across my path recently not to far from that 4 way intersection where the school is. That said it's common to see water foul along that long straightaway ahead as you pass the ponds and the park. Nice area though. Back in the '80s there actually used to be a Honda dealer in Winthrop called "Valley Cycles".

FWIW I regularly see turkeys and deer in my neighborhood. For some reason the coyotes haven't been around lately or they are hiding better. :lol:

Have fun on your PCX riding this season. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I found out a long time ago that passengers, unless quite experienced, have a built in desire to correct for the lean of the bike. They also get "antsy" while riding and want to readjust their seating position while moving. I think they do this because they are so use to the seating in a car, where seating does not affect the balance of the vehicle. If your passenger is not experienced you will find that even slowing down and turning are difficult and unpredictable with them behind you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

I'm gonna hop on the bandwagon here and add my voice to the "just say no!" crowd.

My son used to ride with me when he was small (he's still small, even at 22 years old he's never made it past 5'2", but that's another story), and it was ok because he was light and he followed my directions completely; however, an unfamiliar passenger complicates things. They will do things you do not expect and on a bike, that can spell disaster. I had a low speed crash with my nephew because he would not follow my instructions and shifted his weight at the worst possible moment. We were almost stopped so it was mostly just a fall over in place thing, and neither of us were hurt, but I never rode with anyone other than my son on the back after that and I won't.

If they want to ride a motorcycle/scooter, tell them where to buy their own.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

chicaboo wrote: At least on your side of the world they would hop on the correct side of the road.

:lol: :lol: true