Old vs New Forza 300

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dex

Old vs New Forza 300

Post by dex »

Hi from Australia! 8)

I'm thinking about getting my first scooter and I'd like it to be a Forza 300. I'll be commuting with it to start with, but might take it for some light touring later on.

Just wanted to get some opinions from the more experienced - is the new Forza 300 worth the extra $$$ over the old one? (assume I can get a low mileage 2017 model for $2000 less than a brand new 2019 model)

The biggest con for me on the new model is the higher seat, I'm a short person with a 28" inseam. But that can be worked around with practice, and if the new model is miles ahead of the old one in every other aspect then I'd go for the former.

Not too fussed about the styling, though the old model does look a bit... aged.

Cheers!
Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Re: Old vs New Forza 300

Post by 87112 »

I have a 30" inseam and the Old Forza.
I can back it up with my legs pretty easy unless Its an incline than I get up and push it backwards, with the new model that is not possible I think.

We don't get the new Forza in the States yet, from pics it does look very much modernized and upgraded. I've have sat on Kymco 300s and the Xmax and do not like the tallish seat height for us vertically challenged riders. This is why I will never sell my 15 Forza.
If I were you I would just get a mint 1st gen Forza ride it for a year and sell it for just about what you paid for it than move on after a used 2nd gen Forza 300.
:geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Australia eh? My family and I were always a huge fan of Steve & Terri Irwin. I'll never forget that scene where a crock had a go at him when he was using his lawn mower. :D

Both the new Forza and XMax are great machines.

But if you can get a deal on a previous model Forza and it's a fit for you and floats your boat then you'll have some extra money to invest that you otherwise wouldn't.

Think again though. This is your first scooter? Then why not a PCX or NMax/SMax or whatever Yamaha sells there. Something in the 125/150cc range. It will be lighter and may be a better choice as a learner machine. Once you get used to it then trade up to a 300cc machine. Just a thought. My first bike was a Suzuki TC90. But I had ridden other small bikes friends had around fields and stuff before I bought it. As they say you have to walk before you can run . . ..

Don't underestimate the speed and power of a PCX 150 (I had a 2017) or an SMax 155 though. Ask yourself just how fast do you really need to go. When you get more experience and want to do some touring get a bigger machine then. At least you'll be better at spacial orientation, judging braking distance, making good decisions for time/distance/acceleration, and situation awareness.

Continuing onward, I know what you mean about the seat height though on the new ones . . ..

I'm a bit challenged in leg length also but taller on top.

When I board my XMax I always do it with the side stand down for safety. I don't just hold the handlebars and swing a leg over. I have to swing my leg through the "step through" (tunnel) area. So standard procedure is to pop it up on the center stand, start it up, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, shut it off, move it off the center stand, position the side stand, board, start it up, return the side stand to the "stowed" position, and go. It may sound like a lot but it's simple really . . ..

At some stops or intersections I sometimes slide a bit forward to get both feet on the ground better.

So whatever you get make sure it fits for comfort and ergonomics. Getting good contact area with the feet to the ground is important.

You know if it's a Honda or Yamaha you are getting a good product with good service and parts availability. :D
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

Hi from Canada. I am shorter, 5 foot 6, 26 inseam. The 2014 Forza 300 I have is one big ugly pig, it is heavy.

If you are a brand new rider I suggest a Yamaha BWS 49cc to learn on. If you have some experience go for the PCX. The Forza is pretty fast for a scooter.

A cousin of my mother volunteers at the Irwin zoo.

Australia is pretty big, which corner do you live in? I have lots of relatives there, must be something in the water.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome to our forum(s) dex :P Decisions, decisions not always that easy. We save $$ to buy and then we're still not sure what to spend it on. That's common. We must be Sure Sure it fits ;)

Thank you for mentioning your location in your post. Now I ask that you enter it in your profile. It will then appear under your name. Having it visible (at all times) will help us to help you later as you travel the forums asking questions, etc. I have easy directions below this post to get that done.
THANK YOU

In return, I bring you this:
Pick a bike, complete the measurement questions to simulate "your riding posture/position" on just about any bike. Do-it, it's FUN! 8)
http://cycle-ergo.com

A Tidbit:
The 2019 Forza 300 seat height is 780mm (30.7")
The 2019 PCX seat height is 764mm (30.1")

Inseam challenged? Have you thought about boots with higher soles/heels? You can gain some height ;) and Check those soles, are they grippy enough?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
raito
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: matte silver

Post by raito »

A PCX is small enough for most people. I'd consider 50cc obsolete for most situations. Imagine doing light touring on a 50cc in Australia?
ImageImageImage
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

The only place that a 50cc scooter works anymore is around a campus, pit area, in a neighborhood, anywhere where you’re not on a main road. Most streets in the US now are 35 miles an hour, which means on a 50cc you’d be running it at Max just to be at the speed limit. I almost bought a 50 metropolitan when I started looking, so glad I bought the PCX instead because you now have a true safety power margin on local roads.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

A used 49cc is still a great bike for an absolute beginner and then sell it for more than you paid.

Not everyone lives in the USA.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

I have a new Forza and a 29" inseam. It's a lovely scooter but anything shorter in leg length might just be a little awkward but not impossible.

I never rode the older model but, with hindsight, I probably would start off down that route and only upgrade if absolutely necessary (can't think why that would be). Yes, the new model has some nice additions but there are many happy owners of the previous incarnation and the cash savings (including depreciation) might make it the smarter purchase.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Go and sit on the old version.
If you find it comfortable to sit on, buy it because its every bit as good a scooter as the new one.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

And use your savings to snag a decent motorcycle jacket, boots, gloves, and maybe riding pants (kevlar lined jeans or whatever).
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Just an added note about the 49cc machines . . . especially the 2-strokes. :geek:

I had one and after 5K miles the engine started to lose compression. So it took longer to get up to speed. It wasn't belt wear . . . it was the engine. After startup it would initially be OK but as it got hotter it got less powerful. The dealership still took it in trade when I got my Zuma 125 though. The salesman noted that he's seen them start to go at 5K. I had hoped the engine would have been good for 10K but even using good oil and doing a proper break in it still was what it was.
DCP_1523a.jpg
I ran it WOT most of the time to try and hold 40 MPH on the flat and level and stampede with the herd. That Genuine Roughhouse could sure MMMooooooovvvveeee. It was actually a PGO PMX from Taiwan imported under the Genuine marque into the U.S.. The thing had some get up and go . . .. :lol:

JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I live in a hilly area of Queensland, and a 50cc bike is dangerous. Easy to get into trouble with low power and hard to get out of trouble with low speed. As I mentioned in my first ever post, it's no fun going up a hill with a bus up your clacker. :o :o :o
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

If you abuse any machine it breaks.

I sold my 2 stroke Yamaha BWS 49cc at 21,500 km or 13,400 miles and it was running perfectly.

My current motorcycle is a 2014 Forza 300 with 102,197 km or 63,500 miles.

I rode it in the mountains today and it runs better than ever.
Atis
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Atis »

I have a 30" inseam and I think if I had any less I would not be happy at all with a Forza I feel very borderline already. I have no trouble keeping her steady at lights and so on but nudging her around while seated particularly pushing back can sometimes be a challenge. It's also the reason I have never ridden anybody on it. If you get someone on board who doesn't know how to stay balanced at a stop I can't imagine holding it up at a light on your toes by yourself since the pillion position is way higher so you're not going to get any help from your passenger. I would suggest as others have to carefully evaluate your needs and see if you can't find something a bit smaller, but 125 or above.
Honda 2014 Forza 300 (ABS)
Honda 1995 Elite 80 (Sold)
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Dave: 49cc scooters are governed to 50kph (~30mph) by law in Australia. So outside of FLAT 50kph suburban streets (most are 60kph), they're practically useless.
Given the OP is considering a Forza for commuting, he/she probably wants to feel secure riding on an highway and not get knocked around by wind or truck wakes even on a 150cc scoot.
I know when I had the PCX I couldn't ride it safely on windier days over 50-60kph because it wasn't safe being so light. A 49cc scoot wouldn't even contend with a strong headwind!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

davenowherejones wrote:If you abuse any machine it breaks.

I sold my 2 stroke Yamaha BWS 49cc at 21,500 km or 13,400 miles and it was running perfectly.

Always (bizarrely) the voice of reason around here :lol:
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

davenowherejones wrote:If you abuse any machine it breaks.

To be clear....for 63,495 miles it has not been running all that well....but now it's better?
Glad you got it fixed!
Fish
dex

Post by dex »

Thanks all for your responses! The consensus seemed to be to try out the old model.

I sat on it and found the seat height to be manageable - when I stopped I was on the balls of my feet, but I happened to be wearing sneakers with thin soles that day so I expect that to improve with proper footwear. I also took it for a test ride (was a little scared of dropping the thing) and finished up with a huge smile on my face. So I put a down payment on it :D expecting to get it delivered later this month after I clear out some space.
Old Grinner wrote: Don't underestimate the speed and power of a PCX 150 (I had a 2017) or an SMax 155 though. Ask yourself just how fast do you really need to go. When you get more experience and want to do some touring get a bigger machine then. At least you'll be better at spacial orientation, judging braking distance, making good decisions for time/distance/acceleration, and situation awareness.
<snip>
When I board my XMax I always do it with the side stand down for safety. I don't just hold the handlebars and swing a leg over. I have to swing my leg through the "step through" (tunnel) area. So standard procedure is to pop it up on the center stand, start it up, let it warm up for a couple of minutes, shut it off, move it off the center stand, position the side stand, board, start it up, return the side stand to the "stowed" position, and go. It may sound like a lot but it's simple really . . ..
While I was at the dealer I test rode a brand new PCX150 as well. It was definitely easier to handle, but the suspension was a bit iffy (it made my dormant coccyx pain flare up, which is never a good sign!) and felt cheap in terms of fit and finish (I played around with the glove box in the showroom and the opener broke... o_O). Part of my test ride was on a busy multi-lane road with trucks and it was not fun getting buffeted in their wake! It wasn't terrible by any means but next to the Forza it was no contest. It just felt a lot better.

The procedure you describe for getting on the scoot is exactly what was taught to us during the course to get our licence! I'm not going to forget that anytime soon.
davenowherejones wrote:Hi from Canada. I am shorter, 5 foot 6, 26 inseam. The 2014 Forza 300 I have is one big ugly pig, it is heavy.

If you are a brand new rider I suggest a Yamaha BWS 49cc to learn on. If you have some experience go for the PCX. The Forza is pretty fast for a scooter.

A cousin of my mother volunteers at the Irwin zoo.

Australia is pretty big, which corner do you live in? I have lots of relatives there, must be something in the water.
I would not dare ride a 50cc scooter around these parts, the roads I'm planning to ride on have a speed limit of 60km/h but of course everyone on 4 wheels goes faster than that. I commute on a pushy from time to time and having people aggressively overtake you gets a bit wearing on the nerves. And I'm a speed demon 8)

I'm located in Sydney. Whereabouts are you in Canada? One of my colleagues is from Toronto - he talks about home all the time.
GeorgeSK wrote:And use your savings to snag a decent motorcycle jacket, boots, gloves, and maybe riding pants (kevlar lined jeans or whatever).
Absolutely, road rash is probably the last thing I want to get out of my new hobby/mode of transport o_O
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Dave Jones is in Hope, British Columbia, on the West Coast of Canada in the mountains.

Toronto, Ontario, Canada is 4126 km or 2564 miles east of me.

I was born in Toronto after getting conceived in Prince Edward Island to a very young lady who was booted off the Island.

Sydney to Perth is about the same distance as Toronto to me.