Bike randomly shut off at traffic light for 2nd time today.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Bike randomly shut off at traffic light for 2nd time today.

Post by romnation »

2015 PCX150, US model, no idle stop system. NCY variator and rollers.

I've owned the bike now for 10 months and have put 2500 miles on it. This happened once before, but i thought it may have been a fluke. Happened again today. No idea what could be causing it. I did just change the air filter 2 days ago, but that seems pretty idiot proof. No idea how I could have messed that up... Oil is fine. Valves were adjusted and are good. Any idea what the cause could be?
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Bike randomly shut off at traffic light for 2nd time tod

Post by homie »

Are you seeking high trafficked, top teared, fuel stations in the Chicagoland area. Because we have some really dicey operations owned and operating from week to week dependent on cash payments for deliveries draining their rotten underground tanks into the slug that you get for the same price as quality reputable fuel stations. If this is your baby's history buy a bottle of HEET and measure it out carefully for your 2 gallon tank. This will clean it up in short order and put an end to RPM drop out under idle conditions. I used HEET for my truck when it did the same thing but treated only two full tanks before never experiencing the symptom again. Dodge wanted to replace the fuel pump but British Petroleum 'BP' owned by a Pakistany was the real problem. Good luck!
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

check, lube and clean your kickstand, the safety switch on the kickstand might be activating on stops...
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

I agree seems like a fuel issue.Here in US environmental regs have been diminished and enforcement has been canceled causing many gas stations to take advantage and cutting corners..Gasoline is not what it used to be.Try a different gas station.
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Post by romnation »

homie wrote:Are you seeking high trafficked, top teared, fuel stations in the Chicagoland area. Because we have some really dicey operations owned and operating from week to week dependent on cash payments for deliveries draining their rotten underground tanks into the slug that you get for the same price as quality reputable fuel stations. If this is your baby's history buy a bottle of HEET and measure it out carefully for your 2 gallon tank. This will clean it up in short order and put an end to RPM drop out under idle conditions. I used HEET for my truck when it did the same thing but treated only two full tanks before never experiencing the symptom again. Dodge wanted to replace the fuel pump but British Petroleum 'BP' owned by a Pakistany was the real problem. Good luck!
Yes, I usually hit the Shell just off the highway at Belmont and Kimball. (Not far from my place)
retry
Year: 2014
Color: silver

Post by retry »

Open spark plug cover, take spark plug cap off, unscrew spark plug. Take spark plug cap and put it back on a spark plug, is it comes off easy? or with effort? have a look inside the spark plug cap you need to see if there is corrosion, is there is a piece of metal in place that holds spark plug cap on the spark plug.
Quite often a piece of metal that holds a spark plug cap on top of a spark plug is corroded or broken.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Here in US environmental regs have been diminished and enforcement has been canceled
Huh? - Are you saying laws related to fuel quality have been changed and testing no longer enforced ? Do you have any links I can access to read up on that ?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

No I don't sir, I read that in an article sometime back, but its well known that EPA standards and enforcement has been greatly diminished under the current US administration.Perhaps this will give you some insight into your inquiry
http://www.environmentalintegrity.org/n ... w-in-2018/
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Had 2 new scooters that did that - after installing an Iridium spark plug it never happened again.
My favorite thing about Iridium plugs is that they strengthen idle - probably by increasing the idle speed a few RPM's.
Sitting in heavy traffic - I want a very nice healthy idle.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

easyrider wrote:No I don't sir, I read that in an article sometime back, but its well known that EPA standards and enforcement has been greatly diminished under the current US administration.Perhaps this will give you some insight into your inquiry
http://www.environmentalintegrity.org/n ... w-in-2018/
Thanks !
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know if this will apply to your situation but my wife's bike, if not ridden for awhile, idles erratically. I put some Seafoam in the tank, rode it around until I was sure it was mixed in, and the bike was fine after running Seafoam through the entire system.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers