Snow brings the Cardinals

Pictures of your scooter, ride reports, and day trips.

Moderator: Modsquad

fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Snow brings the Cardinals

Post by fish »

Heavy snow last night.....and the bird seed brings the Cardinals into the back yard.

Fish

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Snow brings the Cardinals

Post by Old Grinner »

The Cardinals and Blue Jays are always great to watch. . ..

I've been getting a lot of Gold Finches from Spring to Fall since I started with a nyjer seed feeder. But this Winter I noticed there's still other small birds now hitting the feeder year 'round. Morning Doves and Junos feed on what spills to the ground as well.

When I used to have a couple of regular feeders the squirrels would empty them with enthusiasm. Occasionally a raccoon or possum would give it a go also. So for now I'll stick with nyjer seed. :lol:
P1010008a.jpg
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Hmmm,and I always thought birds fly south for the winter.Squirrels leave very little for the birds in my neck of the woods.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

easyrider wrote:Hmmm,and I always thought birds fly south for the winter.Squirrels leave very little for the birds in my neck of the woods.
Cardinals are probably out there year around - just easier to spot them in the winter.

Sadly, sometimes the Hawk will come to feed as well.

Fish
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I spotted this owl in a tree at my other house a couple of weeks ago. . .. He really blends into the bark and makes it difficult for a predator to catch him sleeping. 8)
OwlA.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think we ARE the South that the birds fly to...our back yard is always full of birds. We have several feeders and we try to keep them full. However, this time of year is vacation time for their relatives so it is a constant task. We have so many different types of birds during this time that we actually had to buy a book in order to identify their types. It is kind of fun to see which types show up each day.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I've noticed the last two days that the "little birds" haven't been showing up at my bird feeder. It's still full of nyjer seed at the level they left it before we had the deep freeze recently.

Since they've not been pecking at it there hasn't been any spillage going to the ground so the other birds and Morning Doves that usually feed there haven't been showing up either. I hope they didn't freeze to death. It's way to far into the season to head south. Damn Global Warming is causing some species to migrate more and more into northern latitudes but when freak extremes of temperature occur it makes it very difficult to adjust and adapt readily.

That said I expect the early arrivals of the "Gold Finches" to show up in a couple of more months . . . early Spring. :roll:
J.Cervera
Year: 2012
Color: White

Post by J.Cervera »

fish wrote:Heavy snow last night.....and the bird seed brings the Cardinals into the back yard.

Fish

Beautiful birds and beautiful landscape. I would love to see him in person.