Icon Field Armor Street Knees

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Icon Field Armor Street Knees

Post by Old Grinner »

Noticed these online . . ..

https://www.bikebandit.com/riding-gear- ... es/p/61914

I may consider getting a pair in lieu of springing for regular riding pants with armor until I can lose some weight.

I've still got my Harley basic leathers and my new Joe Rocket Atomic 5 Jacket but the Harley pants offer no armor. For about $70 I think these would get me through for a while combined with the leather for slide time. Better than nothing.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Icon Field Armor Street Knees

Post by Mel46 »

Certainly better than just jeans. When I had my accident I was riding with medical knee braces, which gave me protection when I went down. My jeans were torn up pretty bad, but I only ended up with a bruise on my hip where I had my phone in a leather case attached to my belt. By luck I had everything I owned in the way of armor on that day. It paid for itself. My Tourmaster jacket was great. Any protection is better than none.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Certainly better than just jeans. When I had my accident I was riding with medical knee braces, which gave me protection when I went down. My jeans were torn up pretty bad, but I only ended up with a bruise on my hip where I had my phone in a leather case attached to my belt. By luck I had everything I owned in the way of armor on that day. It paid for itself. My Tourmaster jacket was great. Any protection is better than none.
Yup . . . you are right about that.

Without going into a rant I have to say I think there is a new malady spreading like wildfire called "Stupid Driver Disease" and it's reaching epidemic proportions. I miss the days when I mostly only had to worry about when the bars closed and "Sunday Drivers". So being prepared for the worst and hoping for the best is all we can do. o_O
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I went ahead and ordered the knee armor tonight along with my XMax oil filters and orings. I'll report back with a review when I get them. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

May be good as temporary(?) but those back knee elastics and velcro would make me uncomfortable. Especially when our weather warms up (uh, if ever - like this weekend? :) )
I'm just sensitive to that kinda thing.
Hope it pans out and does the job for you, that's all that matters ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

May be good as temporary(?) but those back knee elastics and velcro would make me uncomfortable. Especially when our weather warms up (uh, if ever - like this weekend? :) )
I'm just sensitive to that kinda thing.
Hope it pans out and does the job for you, that's all that matters ;)
Hey WN - nice avatar BTW! :D

And yes . . . they will be temporary depending upon how quickly I can lose some weight and how they fit. I'd like to just get the Joe Rocket Phoenix Ion Mesh pants but ain't gonna happen right now. I'll just make good use of the old Harley pants with the new knee armor.

About the weather . . . yeah . . . what about that weather! :roll:

We are over due for some good days for sure. So many things to get done that are weather dependent and yet still need to put time aside for a good 50 miler. If it rains over the next few days I hope it washes all that salt off the road. I should have the Icons by then . . . I'll see if they are as good as they claim on my next good outta town ride and report back. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

They just arrived so I decided to take a quick ride to see how they fit and what the comfort level is. :geek:

Sunny but very windy conditions . . . white knuckle handlebar grip today. White caps on Long Island Sound . . .. :roll:

Bottom line . . . thumbs up from me. :D

I got the L/XL size.

Pros - they go on easy and are adjustable plus you can use them with whatever you decide to wear whether it be jeans or leathers.
Cons - can't think of any other than the fact that to get hip protection you still need to buy a riding suit or armored pants.

They add one more level of protection from just having a helmet, gloves, and riding jacket. ;)

If you generally take large sized clothing I'd suggest getting the L/XL ones. But they do offer a S/Med. set as well. Read other reviews to see what size you think you may need . . ..

For roughly $70 OTD with sales tax they are really good quality that provide versatile added protection. That said, if you want even more protection then set your sites on these Cloverleaf Knee Sliders. They are more expensive but may be more suitable for those who have a more aggressive riding style. https://www.bikebandit.com/icon-cloverl ... rs/p/48174