New mesh jacket and pants

Riding jackets, pants, boots, GPS, toolkits, etc.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

New mesh jacket and pants

Post by Eiron »

I previously posted about my cold-weather FirstGear Rush Tex jacket and HT Overpants. Now I've received my new mesh jacket and pants for summer riding.

Because of the high cost of gear, I decided to give Wicked Stock's reasonably-priced gear a try. The jacket is their hi-viz Waterproof Textile Jacket. This jacket is an amazing value!! It comes with two removable liners: a full-sleeve PU-coated waterproof nylon liner and a quilted thermal vest liner. For only $80 this one jacket could take care of the entire year! The sizing is a bit more snug than the FirstGear Rush Tex jacket, but when you remove the two inner liners it still has plenty of room for extra layers underneath. I got the Large (5'9", 185 lbs) and there's enough room to be comfortable with no restriction at all. The two liners are pretty compact, so throw them into your storage box and this becomes an excellent three-season jacket. Construction is very good and fit is reasonable; not quite as good as the FirstGear jacket, but I can't complain at only 45% of the Rush Tex's cost. My biggest "nit" is the lack of adjustability for pad locations. They're where they are, and that's that. A smaller "nit" is the lack of interior pockets inside the main jacket body. There are two extra interior pockets in the thermal vest, but since I bought this as a summer jacket I don't plan on using all three layers together. (The waterproof liner zips into the main shell and then the thermal vest zips into the waterproof liner.) Venting looks awesome with a huge mesh chest panel and two rear vent zippers behind your arms. (It's still too cold here to give it a try.)

The pants are their grey Mesh Riding Pants. At $70 these are also a good value. Again, construction is very good and fit is reasonable. The same "nits" apply here. There's some adjustability to the knee pads, but hardly any and it's not as good as FirstGear's system. Buy them based on leg length so that the knee pads end up in the correct location! Even though Wicked Stock says these are not overpants, I bought these exactly for that purpose. I sized them up two sizes and ended up having to exchange them because they were too big! One-size-up fits over my jeans without any binding. The leg zips are significantly shorter than FirstGear's and stop around mid-calf. The tail zip on both pieces fit together perfectly. The tail zips are about 25% shorter than FirstGear's. Again, for the price difference it's an acceptable concession. I'm looking forward to using these this summer!
Marshallscottw1
Year: 2016
Color: Steel Grey

Re: New mesh jacket and pants

Post by Marshallscottw1 »

Hope you stay warm or cool in all that.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Looks like the summer riding is going to be hot at a stop or low speeds.....only mesh is small chest patch. Which is the last place I'd want winter Colorado air trying to get to my body's central core area... (liner or no)
Leave off the black and go full hi viz for safety.
Fish
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Marshallscottw1 wrote:Hope you stay warm or cool in all that.
LOL, me too! :lol:

fish wrote:Looks like the summer riding is going to be hot at a stop or low speeds.....only mesh is small chest patch. Which is the last place I'd want winter Colorado air trying to get to my body's central core area... (liner or no)
I'll find out soon enough. :) It's definitely lighter weight than the FirstGear Rush Tex jacket, so I'm hoping it stays cool enough this summer. And I'm keeping the Rush Tex for late fall/winter/early spring riding. I agree that there should be more hi-viz in both jackets. They both have about the same amount of black/yellow ratio, just placed differently. The FirstGear gets bonus points for reflective bits -- the Wicked Stock has none.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Eiron wrote:
Marshallscottw1 wrote:Hope you stay warm or cool in all that.
LOL, me too! :lol:

fish wrote:Looks like the summer riding is going to be hot at a stop or low speeds.....only mesh is small chest patch. Which is the last place I'd want winter Colorado air trying to get to my body's central core area... (liner or no)
I'll find out soon enough. :) It's definitely lighter weight than the FirstGear Rush Tex jacket, so I'm hoping it stays cool enough this summer. And I'm keeping the Rush Tex for late fall/winter/early spring riding. I agree that there should be more hi-viz in both jackets. They both have about the same amount of black/yellow ratio, just placed differently. The FirstGear gets bonus points for reflective bits -- the Wicked Stock has none.
Most mesh and hi viz combo I could find was this Firstgear.
Have owned two of them (when no longer eye-watering bright I buy again), both year end's at $99.
Yep - love the reflective strips all over....and the long tail. Replaced all the pads with the primo orange stuff.

Fish
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

fish wrote:Most mesh and hi viz combo I could find was this Firstgear.
Have owned two of them (when no longer eye-watering bright I buy again), both year end's at $99.
Yep - love the reflective strips all over....and the long tail. Replaced all the pads with the primo orange stuff.
What's considered "end of season" for a mesh jacket? (The Bell Qualifier helmets all seemed to drop in price around December.) The best price I've seen on the Mesh Tex since last August has been $179, so I decided to finally buy the Wicked Stock jacket now since it's $100 less.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by k2apache6.0 »

You'll be making WhiteNoise jealous with that jacket :)
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome back to the fold K2 :P Where you been? That was a long ride :lol:

About the Jacket, haha! Jealousy doesn't last long
Seeee....you know I own one :D
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (140.63 KiB) Viewed 2358 times
Firstgear indeed and best bought on Sale. More mesh coverage than any other jacket I know (of).
It's a basic jacket that's lightweight and comfortable. Color is right :D In the dead of Summer I zip out the liner. Plenty of airflow, it's Great...
However this one is Not about super protection so keep that in mind. Armor is weak to med at this price point but You can upgrade it as fish mentioned he did.
Mine is about 5 or 6 years old. What bugs me? The elbow armor floats around. There are no adjustment straps above or below the them. I really like having that feature. Time passes and I haven't replaced any of the armor always thinking I'd buy the newer model (same jacket updated) or another brand altogether. It's a challenge to find the perfect combination. It seems we forfeit one feature for wanting another. It's difficult to find a "Cool Safe Mesh" jacket at a reasonable cost (not @ $275 & up) imo.

In the meantime, know that I'm spoiled by this wonderfully vented "Pop-Yella" mesh jacket. It's a winner among many.
(I will continue my search as sales spring (ahhh Spring) :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

WhiteNoise wrote:Welcome back to the fold K2 :P Where you been? That was a long ride :lol:

About the Jacket, haha! Jealousy doesn't last long
Seeee....you know I own one :D
image.jpeg
Firstgear indeed and best bought on Sale. More mesh coverage than any other jacket I know (of).
It's a basic jacket that's lightweight and comfortable. Color is right :D In the dead of Summer I zip out the liner. Plenty of airflow, it's Great...
However this one is Not about super protection so keep that in mind. Armor is weak to med at this price point but You can upgrade it as fish mentioned he did.
Mine is about 5 or 6 years old. What bugs me? The elbow armor floats around. There are no adjustment straps above or below the them. I really like having that feature. Time passes and I haven't replaced any of the armor always thinking I'd buy the newer model (same jacket updated) or another brand altogether. It's a challenge to find the perfect combination. It seems we forfeit one feature for wanting another. It's difficult to find a "Cool Safe Mesh" jacket at a reasonable cost (not @ $275 & up) imo.

In the meantime, know that I'm spoiled by this wonderfully vented "Pop-Yella" mesh jacket. It's a winner among many.
(I will continue my search as sales spring (ahhh Spring) :P
Noise,
You're a trim young dude - while my somewhat grander self...... has no trouble supplying the beef behind the elbow pads in this XXXXLT Firstgear.....esp. when using the larger orange Klim D30's. (which I transfer from jacket to jacket as the weather changes - so it's a one-time investment) (that's a XXXXL HJC)

Himself....
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

It was warm enough yesterday to try out the mesh combo. It worked very well, but I'd say the tailoring/cut does not fit my out-of-shape body quite as comfortably as the FirstGear stuff. All of the jacket pads stayed in place, but one knee pad wandered a bit after a few off-and-on errand stops. Airflow was good over my jeans and long sleeve shirt, and I appreciate the large chest mesh area for maximum airflow. I'm undecided on whether or not I prefer pass-thru pockets or self-contained pockets. Both the jacket and the pants have their own self-contained zippered pockets, so gaining access to anything in your jeans pockets is more of a challenge than with pass-thru pockets. For only $150 for both pieces, this combo is a huge safety upgrade over my leather jacket and heavy canvas pants.
Attachments
81YiMD9v2iL.jpg
81YiMD9v2iL.jpg (201.6 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
PT9.jpg
PT9.jpg (67.99 KiB) Viewed 2320 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Eiron wrote:It was warm enough yesterday to try out the mesh combo. It worked very well, but I'd say the tailoring/cut does not fit my out-of-shape body quite as comfortably as the FirstGear stuff. All of the jacket pads stayed in place, but one knee pad wandered a bit after a few off-and-on errand stops. Airflow was good over my jeans and long sleeve shirt, and I appreciate the large chest mesh area for maximum airflow. I'm undecided on whether or not I prefer pass-thru pockets or self-contained pockets. Both the jacket and the pants have their own self-contained zippered pockets, so gaining access to anything in your jeans pockets is more of a challenge than with pass-thru pockets. For only $150 for both pieces, this combo is a huge safety upgrade over my leather jacket and heavy canvas pants.
Eiron, just wondered.
Do you really have a job delivering home heating oil on a scooter!?
Fish
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

LOL, no, I had several empty barrels that I was giving away to friends for rain barrels (it was illegal to collect rain water on your own property here in CO until the law was changed in mid-2016). I got the desire to deliver one on the PCX just for fun. One Harley rider did a double-take. :lol:

I'm actually working at trying to get my custom knife business to be self-sustaining. I get to combine my manufacturing engineering and design skills with my artistic creativity to make functional works of art. :geek:
Attachments
Tann_01.jpg
Tann_01.jpg (149.75 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Tann_02.jpg
Tann_02.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Tann_03.jpg
Tann_03.jpg (134.53 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Petit_01.jpg
Petit_01.jpg (83.73 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Petit_02.jpg
Petit_02.jpg (59.34 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
Petit_03.jpg
Petit_03.jpg (154.02 KiB) Viewed 2302 times
paulcoup
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by paulcoup »

Nice work. Looks like a "forged in Fire" episode...
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Thanks! The steel I use is excellent knife steel but poor forging steel (so no Forged In Fire episodes for me!). I order the steel in sheets and draw/cut/shape the knives all by hand.
Attachments
Knives_01.jpg
Knives_01.jpg (103.42 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Rough_Grind.jpg
Rough_Grind.jpg (77.98 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
Hardened.jpg
Hardened.jpg (103.63 KiB) Viewed 2294 times