How long can the battery last without being started?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

How long can the battery last without being started?

Post by romnation »

Stock battery. 2 weeks? 3? Anyone have any idea?
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Re: How long can the battery last without being started?

Post by Oldie »

On a PCX? Probably 3 months, at a guess.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

How old is the battery, and the scooter?
Fish
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Those are the important questions that need to be answered before we can give you a proper answer. Batteries age, whether you use them or not. I once bought a scooter that had never been ridden. However, because it sat for 6 years the battery was not only dead, it could not be revived and had to be replaced.

So, how old is the battery, and the scooter?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I don't see why it wouldn't last 6 months if it was a new battery. . .but if the engine had fuel system issues and didn't start right away I'd say the battery would become useless pretty quick. :o
romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by romnation »

fish wrote:How old is the battery, and the scooter?
Fish
It's a 2015. Stock batt.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

romnation wrote:Stock battery. 2 weeks? 3? Anyone have any idea?

My understanding is it’s a lead acid accumulator rather than a battery. Rule of thumb is that they need 70% to start an engine and naturally lose 1% per day.

So a month.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I had a 2015 and had some medical work done and then convalescing, I didn’t drive it for probably four weeks, and it’s sat in the underground garage with no power attached to it. It started up fine. Not sure I will go longer than that.

So simple to pull the batt and put it on a $30 battery tender in the house if you’re going long.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I imagine that after a month it will need to be hooked up to a Battery Tender over night. However, as a 2015 battery it may be getting close to the end of its usefulness. Just be aware of that and count yourself lucky if it starts.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Way too many variables to answer that question with any degree of accuracy. My advice is to just hook up a battery tender type charger.."setit and forgetit"
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^ Ditto/Copy that ^
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I use Shorai lithium 230cca battery. Had it now for about 5 years at least. Never went flat even after scoot sat unridden couple of months at the time. Never had to hook it up to the charger and it only weighs 1/5 of the original battery weight.
Lanesplitter
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lanesplitter »

After an accident I let my 2013 scooter with original battery sit for ten months. 10,000 miles on it. It fired right up. Air Temperatures varied between 50 and 65 maybe. Never much colder. It's kept in a parking garage, mild climate.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, my wife's bike had been sitting for a month when I decided yesterday that it was time to put it in the basement for the winter. The temperature was around 35°F and the wind was blowing at 25 mph. I went out to start the bike and it just went Wump! once and that was it. I tried it again and the same thing happened again. So I took out my Battery Tender Jr and connected it to the battery through the leads that are permanently attached to the battery. Then I went around to my back gate, unlocked it and opened it up. Then I opened the basement door and went back upstairs and out to the bike. The whole process took about 10 minutes.

Well, I turned the key and it started right up. I disconnected the Battery Tender, and then I drove the bike around and into the basement. It is sitting there now with the Battery Tender connected, but I am betting that if I had wanted to go out riding on the bike it would have been fine.

This is only the 2nd battery this bike has had since we purchased it in mid 2012.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

OldGuywhoTinkers
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by OldGuywhoTinkers »

Since the gel and glass mat batteries entered the market, things are slightly different. With the exception of the longtime Japanese king Yuasa, Here is the latest: standard lead acid batteries, (and really all other brothers and sisters) sulfate rapidly, hence, our use of ''battery savers'' and restoration chargers that break down sulfates.

Gel cells, and most AGM batteries suffer slower sulfation, and self discharge. Most will keep most of the charge all year, though it would be dumb and not wise not to keep a trickle charge on them at least twice a month, EVERY MONTH.

So the best advice to all is to leave lead acid liquid batteries.

The caution is to respect the manufacturer's literature about charging voltages allowed or demanded on different types ! Gel cels can be burned out (last I checked) from standard automobiles NOT modified for them and from wrong or malfunctioning solar chargers. AGM have preferred voltages. We are hoping that the new chargers on the market will do what they are supposed to do.

My understanding is that glass AGM glass matt batteries are ready to go, tolerate brief 50% discharges well, have excellent recovery, instant power available for starting, and are within what automobiles the past seven years dish out in terms of alternator voltages.

If we have good, well designed and manufactured lithium ion 12 volt batteries available, then they would be the Cadillac of batteries. Also all the newer batteries will accept higher rates of charge and charge up more quickly.

My last bit of wisdom, from an electrical shop: that modern lead acid batteries, brand new should be hard charged for an hour or so BEFORE being placed in service. And that lesser batteries like cycle or scooter batteries charged at one or two amps brand new just before being placed in service, so for common scooters that would be one amp.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Last month my two year old SV650 fired up instantly after being left outside untouched for four months.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011

Post by maddiedog »

If you're parking the scooter for more than a couple of weeks, I'd install a Battery Tender Jr (the same one Mel mentioned). They will extend the battery life of the scooter, since these little batteries don't like being fully discharged.

Here's a link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000CITK8S/

An AGM battery will be lighter and put up with more time without starting.

In any case, if you park for more than a couple of months, I recommend putting fuel stabilizer in the gas tank and filling up the tank fully to ensure your fuel system stays clean and clear of water from condensation or contaminants. Here's a good guide on winterizing your bike for storage: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=14
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
J.Cervera
Year: 2012

Post by J.Cervera »

Probably 2 or 3 months
Martin J
Year: 2018

Post by Martin J »

I own a 2004 ford Mondeo, and amazingly it still has the original battery fitted. It's used regularly and still has no problems starting in the winter.
Yamaha 900 Diversion '96
Suzuki GS550E '81
Benelli TRK502 '21
Honda PCX 125 '18