2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for Me

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: 2019 Yamaha XMax 300 . . . the Last in a Long Line for M

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:Question is what is more reliable and cheaper to repair in the long term.
Got to be this

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

oldie, you're a riot LOL! Perfect review, it says it all :lol: keep enjoying your new toy !
Glen thanks again for your informative and useful input, ..it always helps.
OldG,...I hope this week flies for you, and that the coming snow is but a mere dusting. Much thanks for your helpful responses and videos too. I will watch them as snowfalls. I await your ride review (not on sand please).
gn2 what kind of switch is that? A five and dime push 'n toggle? :lol:
What a Great Group You All Are!
I Thank you!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
Jge64 wrote:I realize you "overread", and your other comments over the past couple months on this keyless ignition shows great consternation on your part. I really don't understand that; The key stays in my pocket , the bike starts ,it runs, it turns off ,I get off the bike. That's all there is to it ....the big adv for me is , once I get dressed and put my keys deep within my riding suit, I don't have to fish them out ever again. No keys straining on the keylock, or banging around and damaging my paint. I think keyless is great. of course that's the way it's been in all my cars for the past five years so I don't understand why this is a big thing now on bikes. It's a feature that most of us are using, on other vehicles right now.
When I commuted to work by scooter my riding gear got stored under the seat.
So keyless would have been every bit as inconvenient as a proper key.
So what was under your riding gear? That’s where you put the key. It’s not rocket science, just a little positive thinking and common sense.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

The dealership delivered it this afternoon . . .. I couldn't be happier. :D

Took it for a brief ride around the waterfront. It's smooth, it's comfortable, it's peppy, awesome storage capacity, kind of high tech with ABS and Traction Control, and everything just feels right. No complaints. I still need to get more familiar with the settings for some of the features but that won't take long. The thing tells you the outside temperature too. It happened to be just above freezing so I got a message that said ICE and there was little snowflake blinking on the display. We've come a long way in motorcycle/scooter features. . .. :geek:

Here's a couple of pics for now. I'm staying in and celebrating tonight with a large pizza and plenty of Guinness Extra Stout. :lol:
100_5594a.jpg
100_5600a.jpg
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

One other thing I will mention is that the brakes are very good but you have to get used to them. The Cager on Two Wheels mentioned that in his video and I know what he means. The brakes feel a bit "wooden" so you have to give them their due effort but they don't lie and will perform. After all they are ABS . . .. 8)

The XMax 300 is going to be a real pleasure to ride when the weather improves and I feel like going for 50 mile round trips to get something to eat or just visit the local sites. I wouldn't hesitate to take this on much longer rides either just from what I know now. When I get it "broken in" more I'll bring it up on the highway to see how it handles at expressway speeds. 8)
100_5584a.jpg
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Congrats, for the first couple months, every time you go out ,after five minutes ,switch to the voltmeter display. It should be tracking somewhere above 13.5 to 14 or so. If it's anywhere down in the 12s you got a rectifier problem and your battery is slowly going dead. There have been no new incidents reported on any of the forums that I can tell, so it looks like it was indeed a simple parts batch that was bad. But check it out. I was fine for a week and a half and then it started going bad. Simple swap on warranty, no problems since I always charge about 14.1
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Congrats, for the first couple months, every time you go out ,after five minutes ,switch to the voltmeter display. It should be tracking somewhere above 13.5 to 14 or so. If it's anywhere down in the 12s you got a rectifier problem and your battery is slowly going dead. There have been no new incidents reported on any of the forums that I can tell, so it looks like it was indeed a simple parts batch that was bad. But check it out. I was fine for a week and a half and then it started going bad. Simple swap on warranty, no problems since I always charge about 14.1
Thanks!

Since it's a 2019 I'm not sure it that will make any difference or not. Perhaps the rectifiers were on a different purchase order? Who knows. . .chances are they all feed the same part number and get co-mingled in the parts bins anyways. But definitely good advice and something to keep a watch for.

The last time I checked, before I started down the road for the maiden voyage, I saw 13.4 but this scoot is really new and even after I got done with my short ride around the water it only indicated 4 Miles on the Odometer. Tomorrow I'll start it up again and have a look-see. I've still got to set the clock to 12 hour Eastern Stranded Time. :lol:

It really is a great machine. . .beyond my expectations. Absolutely hit the spot. Things are going so well I'm going to have to be extra careful. Makes me think of that old "Dead" song . . .when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door. :D

"Uncle John's Band" - Greatful Dead

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

My '18 does 24 hour format only, pretty sure it's that way for you too, you'll read that the manual.
Glen
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Old Grinner wrote:It really is a great machine. . .beyond my expectations. Absolutely hit the spot.
Who needs magazine reviews?

This is what it's all about 8)
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

Old Grinner wrote:
Thanks!

Since it's a 2019 I'm not sure it that will make any difference or not. Perhaps the rectifiers were on a different purchase order? Who knows. . .chances are they all feed the same part number and get co-mingled in the parts bins anyways. But definitely good advice and something to keep a watch for.

The last time I checked, before I started down the road for the maiden voyage, I saw 13.4 but this scoot is really new and even after I got done with my short ride around the water it only indicated 4 Miles on the Odometer. Tomorrow I'll start it up again and have a look-see. I've still got to set the clock to 12 hour Eastern Stranded Time. :lol:

It really is a great machine. . .beyond my expectations. Absolutely hit the spot. Things are going so well I'm going to have to be extra careful. Makes me think of that old "Dead" song . . .when life looks like easy street there is danger at your door. :D

"Uncle John's Band" - Greatful Dead

Its 2018 model. 2019 has white on black lcd display and comfort seat. Also no fake seams on plastics. I have test drove both Xmax 300 and Forza 300 in December but decided on Forza. Better engine on Yamaha rest is very similar.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Its 2018 model. 2019 has white on black lcd display and comfort seat. Also no fake seams on plastics. I have test drove both Xmax 300 and Forza 300 in December but decided on Forza. Better engine on Yamaha rest is very similar.
In the U.S. it's a 2019 model. We still get the regular seat stock . . . nothing fancy. . .but it's large. I've noticed LCD displays on different versions can be either a light or dark background depending upon the model or country it's sold in.

Last year we had the White model as a 2018. If they still had a "leftover" at my local dealership I would have considered one but have to say I got a good deal on the new 2019 and it was the only one they had in stock.

As with the PCX different regions of the planet get different colors and features sometimes . . .. Like for example in the U.S. the PCX gets the parking brake but no idle stop. In other parts of the planet they may get idle stop but no parking brake. I guess it all comes down to consumer research and what the company thinks the people want in a particular market. :geek:

Here's an example of what last year's model looked like here. . ..

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scoot ... /2018/xmax

This year's model . . ..

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax#

In some markets you can get them in yellow. If I had a choice and could get whatever color I wanted here I'd get yellow for better visibility. That said the matte black does look cool. :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Who needs magazine reviews?

This is what it's all about 8)
Definitely no regrets. I was going to hold back from spending the money right now and sell my two aging motorcycles first but when I figured how much $$ I could expect to get for them vs what it would cost me to keep them I decided to keep them. It's nice to have the "antiques" around to ride once in a while and keep them in good shape. I bought them new and it's tough to part with them. :D
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

Old Grinner wrote:
In the U.S. it's a 2019 model. We still get the regular seat stock . . . nothing fancy. . .but it's large. I've noticed LCD displays on different versions can be either a light or dark background depending upon the model or country it's sold in.

Last year we had the White model as a 2018. If they still had a "leftover" at my local dealership I would have considered one but have to say I got a good deal on the new 2019 and it was the only one they had in stock.

As with the PCX different regions of the planet get different colors and features sometimes . . .. Like for example in the U.S. the PCX gets the parking brake but no idle stop. In other parts of the planet they may get idle stop but no parking brake. I guess it all comes down to consumer research and what the company thinks the people want in a particular market. :geek:

Here's an example of what last year's model looked like here. . ..

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scoot ... /2018/xmax

This year's model . . ..

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/scooter/models/xmax#

In some markets you can get them in yellow. If I had a choice and could get whatever color I wanted here I'd get yellow for better visibility. That said the matte black does look cool. :D
I would prefer stock seat over comfort one. That little back rest is similar to the one I had on my pcx and it collected water when left in the rain. Its easier to wipe it dry without it.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Congratulations on your new toy. A nice one at that.The one who dies with the most of them wins.So have at it and best of luck..rock on!!
I will and thanks!

The seat on the XMax dwarfs the Corbin seat I have on my Suzuki Bandit. I was amazed when I parked them next to each other. The XMax actually looks bigger and bulkier but is 100 lbs. lighter. It makes a big difference when putting it on the center stand. :D
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

mine wont start if its under 30 degrees F but its fine as long as its not that cold im trying to find a lithium battery but so far no luck i just need more cold cranking amps
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

big bear wrote:mine wont start if its under 30 degrees F but its fine as long as its not that cold im trying to find a lithium battery but so far no luck i just need more cold cranking amps
Amazon has plenty and I put the link here several times. Standard battery is about 120 CCA, the lith battery that fits a Xmax is about 220…
Glen
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

Until you spend 3-4 hours in the seat on a long distance run, you can't appreciate what the comfort seat does. But it is overwhelmingly better on a long trip. Bottom line is, in my opinion, from owning both, if you're doing a long distance, you appreciate the comfort seat. If you're in around town person, the Stock is fine.
Glen
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

thanks ill check out amazon
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Until you spend 3-4 hours in the seat on a long distance run, you can't appreciate what the comfort seat does. But it is overwhelmingly better on a long trip. Bottom line is, in my opinion, from owning both, if you're doing a long distance, you appreciate the comfort seat. If you're in around town person, the Stock is fine.
It's 25 F. here right now and snow due around rush hour tonight. Spring is a month away and I can't wait to get some good riding in again. :D

I think the stock seat will be OK for my needs but I definitely know what you mean about those long hours in the saddle. When I rode my KLR up to Mt. Washington I think I stood on the pegs half way through Massachusetts on the way back. :lol:

FWIW I noticed the rectifier on my XMax is just behind the front wheel above the radiator. Good spot to get fresh cool air! 8)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

In scouring the web, this seems to be the best collection of things to buy for the Xmax. Two things you want to look at right away -even if you don't like mods-is this is the auxiliary seat spring and the inner fender. The Xmax throws up a lot of crap in the rain ,the inner fender w/ simple mount stops that. And the seat spring is notoriously weak, this spring it will pop open and stay open as soon as you hit the button

https://taiwanbigscootershop.com/collec ... 300?page=1
Glen