Plastic maintenance

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Plastic maintenance

Post by PCX2016 »

My PCX is white. How do I get scratches out of the plastic. I have 3M clear stick on coming. I want to remove some light scratches before I apply.
American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Plastic maintenance

Post by PCX2016 »

I know I'm supposed to start with the certain Grit, but I am not sure which one to start with
American in Cambodia !!!
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Once you sand, it's very hard to get the sanding marks back out without professional body shop power tools. I would rather try to smooth off a little bit at a time and just keep rubbing with something like Maguires scratch X 2.0 available at any auto parts store.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

I need specifics, what grit to start at, intermediate grit, and finishing Grit
American in Cambodia !!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

How many light scratches? We need more info too. Is a side panel side swiped or....?
There are all kinds of products and assorted ways of handling this. For instance, it might be best to buy a new panel (or panels?) Sticker bomb it! :lol:

There are plastic kits too like Novus: (Scroll down this page too. More to see there) https://www.amazon.com/Novus-7100-Plast ... ooghydr-20

Sanding? o_O I would never, but that's me.
Trust Glen on that (and more), he's knows his stuff!

Again, more info please.......American in Cambodia :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Keep in mind that the painted panels have a very thin coat of paint, so if black is showing through then no amount of sanding will remove them. In that case you may have only 2 choices: touch up, or replace.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:Keep in mind that the painted panels have a very thin coat of paint, so if black is showing through then no amount of sanding will remove them. In that case you may have only 2 choices: touch up, or replace.

Or

3. Ignore
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

you you wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Keep in mind that the painted panels have a very thin coat of paint, so if black is showing through then no amount of sanding will remove them. In that case you may have only 2 choices: touch up, or replace.

Or

3. Ignore
I do not want to ignore. 3M plastic covering is going on soon and I need to get the surface scratches out. Hmm, I guess it's YouTube to figure it out.
American in Cambodia !!!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

First round of attack would be a gentle rub with toothpaste. If you can feel the scratches with your fingernail, you have bigger problems - sanding may not be an option.

You could wet-sand with 1000 or 1500 grit, and then move to micro-mesh ultrafine abrasives. No clue what you can get in your corner of the world, but woodturners that work with plastic have an arsenal of products at their disposal.

https://www.woodworkingshop.com/search.aspx?q=micromesh
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

For all my US friends, I just got the Woodcraft February sale flyer. If you would like to have some micromesh around, this is a comparatively good deal.

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/micr ... nding-pads

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

The repair wholly depends on how deep and long the scratch is.If you take a picture it would aid in determining a refinish procedure.I believe the finish is basecoat clearcoat, and that would matter significantly on the best refinish method.Guessing however that using 2000 grit wet sandpaper to level then polish with a fine compound or polish until glossy would work if scratch is minimally deep and not into the plastic.If it is into the plastic build up with color touch up paint then sand level and polish out to gloss.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

4 choices ... 1) light sand with 400 grit, then prime, wet sand. (repeat this process until scuffs are filled in & smooth), prime again, wet sand lightly with 600 grit, paint and then clear coat. 2) Buy new ones. 3) Leave as is. 4) do whatever else you decide to do.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Really, I cant see doing any paint and prep work on these scooters, as the plastic parts, completely painted and ready to go, are cheap. Partzilla, for example, has each piece for about $35 which includes shipping. At that price, I'd just replace.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Jge64 wrote:Really, I cant see doing any paint and prep work on these scooters, as the plastic parts, completely painted and ready to go, are cheap. Partzilla, for example, has each piece for about $35 which includes shipping. At that price, I'd just replace.
When I lived in America my monthly expenses were over $5000k a month! Right now my expenses are under $500. / $35 is 1/4 of my rent, or 5 months of cell service or 7 pounds of chicken (top shelf). So for me $35 even though I can afford it, I have been adapting to the local lifestyle.

People here don't give a crap about you or your possessions. In America if you even look at my bike wrong, I want your insurance info, or you can pay the damages. Here, you can get hit by a bus full of people (true story, 16 year old in serious condition), and the bus won't even stop.

I like to keep anything I own looking good. I have tons of free time, so why not do it myself.
American in Cambodia !!!
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Pics... :D
Attachments
20190203_095708.jpg
20190203_095708.jpg (124.36 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
20190203_095658.jpg
20190203_095658.jpg (151.31 KiB) Viewed 1087 times
American in Cambodia !!!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by GeorgeSK »

Most of those dings look to be through the clearcoat and the paint - down to the base plastic. Painting, then fairing with finer and finer abrasives seems the only repair. Finding the right color of paint will be very tricky, but maybe you know an artist with a good eye (and a nice collection of acrylic paints). You might also find a close match with nail polish - you never know until you look.

Good luck, and I hope to see the fruits of your labor (or the story of your trials and tribulations) sometime down the road.

PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

GeorgeSK wrote:
Good luck, and I hope to see the fruits of your labor (or the story of your trials and tribulations) sometime down the road.

George! Thanks for the info. I will do my best to post..
American in Cambodia !!!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Buy the panel.It will be cheaper and look better in the long run.The whole panel needs to be refinished and repainted.Materials and labor will exceed the cost of a new panel.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Have you tried Goo Gone? From what I see most of the marks look removable. Try easy things first, to see if those are just rub marks. Put the Goo Gone on a cloth and rub each mark. You may have to do this a few times to get each mark off.

I have also used Novus (1,2, and 3). They work well too.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Great! thank you for the pics! See better, Blow them up folks.

Start simple.
I would definitely try removing the bulk of that mess first > The black "looking" scuff marks. I believe you can make these panels look 80% better just by doing that, and the paint that's missing will then appear minimized. Maybe??
"Step by Step..." take it slow. Patience brings surprises

What about WD40 peeps? Medium to light rubs of that? > followed by immediate rinsing?
I used it on my truck's side door after a wheelchair ran into it (huh? Yeah). It planted a nice size black rubber scuff mark. Took it right off.

Should be okay to use on our scoot plastics right?
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You