Magnum P.I. rides a scooter in addition to Ferrari

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Magnum P.I. rides a scooter in addition to Ferrari

Post by GatorGreg »

So I'm watching an episode of the Magnum P.I. reboot (first one I've seen) and in addition to a couple of different Ferraris he's also riding around on a baby blue scooter! So this must mean it's officially "cool" to ride a scooter now, eh? :D (We already knew this to be the case of course - LOL). I tried to find a pic on Google images to no avail so I'm guessing this might be the scooter's first appearance on the show? Looks like an older Vespa but I didn't get a close look at it. Anyone know exactly what model it is? By the way, the new "Higgins" is smoking hot - she can ride my "scooter" any time she wants! ;)

2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Magnum P.I. rides a scooter in addition to Ferrari

Post by Mel46 »

I don't think her husband would appreciate your scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Had no idea that show was on again . . .. I don't get that channel on my cheap antenna. :roll:

From the director that brought us "Fast and Furious"? It must be awesome. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It is ok. Not like the original though. The original Magnum, if you recall, was over 6 ft tall. The one that plays him now can't be more than 5 ft 9 in. Also Selleck had more of a believable character than Jay.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

relic
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red white

Post by relic »

For me Jim in the Rockford files seemed to humour me more, a little less of a high flyer. I noticed the new Higgins is cutting Magnums allowance.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I would too. He wrecks more cars than the old Magnum did. Higgins must have one heck of a car insurance bill.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

Mel46 wrote:It is ok. Not like the original though. The original Magnum, if you recall, was over 6 ft tall. The one that plays him now can't be more than 5 ft 9 in. Also Selleck had more of a believable character than Jay.
Kinda like comparing the book 'Jack Reacher' to the movie, 'Jack Reacher'.
Original- 6' 5" 250 lbs- Movie-Tom Cruise? As T would say 'Sad'.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Mel46 wrote:It is ok. Not like the original though. The original Magnum, if you recall, was over 6 ft tall. The one that plays him now can't be more than 5 ft 9 in. Also Selleck had more of a believable character than Jay.
Always laughed when Sellect had to drive that little Ferrari 308 in the rain - with the top up.
Top down - his forehead was in the wind.
I sat in the same car at a golf course years ago. (trade-in at a Porsche/Audi dealership which my brother managed)

I'm 6'3"....My head was above the frame of the windscreen.
Fish
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

Old Grinner wrote:Had no idea that show was on again . . .. I don't get that channel on my cheap antenna. :roll:

From the director that brought us "Fast and Furious"? It must be awesome. ;)
You don't get CBS? Only reason I saw it was because it came on right after the Patriots v. Chiefs :D
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

The new guy actually fits in the Ferrari now - Tom Selleck looked kind of silly with his head poking out the top of the old 308 :D
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by GatorGreg »

I was able to get some screenshots of the Vespa by playing the episode on the CBS app. The circumstance was the Ferrari was towed away because Magnum bounced a check he wrote to pay for a repair. Higgins allowed it to get towed to teach Magnum a lesson :D So a Hawaiian character named Kumu (the cultural caretaker of Robin Masters' estate) tells Magnum he's welcome to borrow her ride.

The scene then cuts to Magnum riding the scooter and he says something like:
"I know it looks like a big downgrade but Kumu's Vespa gets 70 mpg which is great for someone like me who only has 3 digits in his bank account." :D

Hmmm...I can't seem to get the pics to upload, sorry.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

You don't get CBS? Only reason I saw it was because it came on right after the Patriots v. Chiefs :D
I "cut the cord" so-to-speak with my TV cable service and just kept my Internet service. :D

Now I get really clear digital HD TV right over the airwaves for free. Far fewer channels, no CBS, but the channels I do get I can live with for now. The three PBS channels are my basic go to channels and ABC otherwise. I get a few others like GRIT and the online shopping channels and ION also. If the weather is weird I may get more channels out of NY. :roll:

That said I bought a couple of indoor digital TV antennas and found that between the RCA and the GE the performance was about the same. So I just left the "GE" hooked up.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GE-Pro-Bar-H ... 1/50901691

https://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-SLIVR-Am ... /167111340

Looking ahead I'm thinking about getting a roof or pole mounted antenna but am OK for now with what I have. I don't have to worry about taking anything down for a bad storm or hurricane. ;)

To take advantage of the wiring job my Father did years ago I just made a connection from the antenna to a splitter . . . one side to the living room TV . . . and the other into the wall connection that used to be used for the cable TV. I mapped the incoming signal cable to a terminal board in the basement (which also has a signal booster on it), connected it to another splitter with multiple outgoing connections, and connected several other cables leading to other rooms into that splitter. So I can have a TV hooked up in a number of different rooms all feeding off the one indoor antenna I have in my living room. I sure grinned when I got that all hooked up and it worked. If my cat knocks over the antenna I'm using now and breaks it or something I still have my RCA for a backup. 8)

My regular internet service is not interrupted by anything because the incoming cable signal from the street is on a separate cable circuit that goes to the modem. :geek:

I found that a lot of the channels I was paying for with regular cable TV I just wasn't watching enough to make it worth the money. Plus I was having to pay extra for a digital HD converter just to get the basic TV signal jacked up to be more clear. I figured it was time to get off that treadmill. No regrets. That said I do find that in this day and age Internet service is a must. :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Bravo to you for getting rid of cable tv.

After I retired we needed to cut costs as well, so cable tv went away. However, my solution was that I built a small Home Theater PC (HTPC) that is connected to my 55" TV. Many of the stations (CBS, FOX, etc) have websites where you can pull up the last episode a day later.

We also have Netflix and Hulu. On top of these, the cable company charge for just internet was higher than if we got basic cable plus internet. That was weird but we will take what we can get. Every 12 months we have to renegotiate with them, but we have been successful so far.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

As the thread slowly hijacks...
Mel - you might consider a Silicon Dust network tuner (https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-HDHo ... work+tuner). Connect it to your regular TV antenna and your router, and you have TV everywhere, esp your media center. With this unit, you get four tuners, so you can watch one thing while recording off a couple of other channels as well. I have an older 2-tuner one and it is just fine.

I have a media center PC running Windows 7 specifically for the Media Center program, which works great. KODI is a good option if you are on Win 10 or Linux. Setup is more "fiddly" with the bits of software involved, and while you can get a free electronic programming guide, a bit of money ($20 a year) gets you a much better one.

I also highly recommend getting a real outdoor antenna, the higher the better. You will get far more stations. Go to https://antennaweb.org/ and play around to see what is available where you are.

Somehow I don't mind spending money once. Ongoing bills seem like a suction.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Bravo to you for getting rid of cable tv.
As the thread slowly hijacks...
Having a ROKU opens up some other viewing opportunities as well . . .. There's free stuff available through the Internet to watch too. But you must have the paid Internet Service to begin with. :D
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Back to Magnum's scooter...
1.JPG
1.JPG (95.27 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (50.15 KiB) Viewed 1456 times
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Vespa GTV250
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Old Grinner wrote:Having a ROKU opens up some other viewing opportunities as well . . .. There's free stuff available through the Internet to watch too. But you must have the paid Internet Service to begin with. :D
Have two Roku streaming sticks, excellent little things, as well as all the interweb functionality they can play local files direct from my NAS using the Roku Media Player which can be added as a channel in the menu.
Also can mirror my phone screen like a Chromecast.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Thought it was a GTV150. How do you tell the difference?
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

We also have Rokus on any of our 5 TVs that are not smart TVs (not counting the one in my basement that doubles as a tv and a 2nd monitor for my computer down there). That way we can watch a Netflix or Hulu show in the living room and then just move back to the bedroom to finish the show. My router is an updated ASUS Dual Band ac unit so it covers the entire house.

As for outside antennas, good thought except they get destroyed often. We have tornadoes here as well as some really bad storms. Some days there are wind gusts at 40 mph. We don't have a fireplace, so no big structure to strap it to.

George, I will definitely look at that SiliconDust thing.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150