Spark Plugs

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Spark Plugs

Post by Old Grinner »

Standard spark plug for PCX 2017 and older:
I totally concur.

I've still got my spare plug for my 2017 PCX brandy new in the box. It's an NGK CPR7EA-9.

I'll find a use for it somewhere. Possibly on my Zuma. The NGK CPR7EA-9 may be a hotter plug than the Zuma NGK CR7E. . .not sure. But in an emergency for an on-road spare I think it may work. . .needs more looking into and dimensional check. I've got a new plug for the Zuma anyways on stand-by for later on when I get to the scheduled maintenance replacement time. :geek:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I had my Burgman 400 I bought a spare spark plug, just in case. Well, when I sold the bike it was running great and I forgot all about the spare plug. I just checked, and it is still sitting in my tool chest, still in its original box. I have decided to wait on buying a spare for my two PCX 150s. Who knows if I will ever need to change them.

I have my wife's bike torn down in the basement right now so that I can upgrade some lighting. I could easily change it now, but why?? It runs great.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:When I had my Burgman 400 I bought a spare spark plug, just in case. Well, when I sold the bike it was running great and I forgot all about the spare plug. I just checked, and it is still sitting in my tool chest, still in its original box. I have decided to wait on buying a spare for my two PCX 150s. Who knows if I will ever need to change them.

I have my wife's bike torn down in the basement right now so that I can upgrade some lighting. I could easily change it now, but why?? It runs great.

Eggsflippingsacterly.
WI_Hedgehog
Powered by angry squirrels
Powered by angry squirrels
Year: 2017
Color: PearlDrkAshBlue

Post by WI_Hedgehog »

Because the ceramic in the plugs can become brittle and flake off or crack off in chunks, which will trash the cylinder walls. Honda didn't pick service periods at random, it's a risk/outcome analysis they're highly skilled at. While most people will be fine without changing their plugs, a few won't, and that's an engine rebuild or a new scoot.

Some people are fine not changing their oil, but the engine takes excessive wear and fuel economy is lowered with time. Some won't change the brake pads and will warp or scar the rotor. Some won't change the belt and it will break, possibly stranding them, possibly contributing to thousands in medical bills.

If you want your fairly expensive machine to look and run like new a decade from now, take care of it. All my Honda stuff runs (and mostly looks) like it just came off the showroom floor even though those things are decades old in many cases. Polaris Slingshot--looks new, constantly breaking. Chevy SUV--same thing. Honda? Heck, I just tore down my 10-year-old snow blower, cleaned and lubed everything, put it back together, and it's 'like new' again. Do as you will, I'm only answering the question of "why."
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Because the ceramic in the plugs can become brittle and flake off or crack off in chunks, which will trash the cylinder walls. Honda didn't pick service periods at random, it's a risk/outcome analysis they're highly skilled at. While most people will be fine without changing their plugs, a few won't, and that's an engine rebuild or a new scoot.
This is exactly what I've been told by several short track engine builders. Basically caused by heat cycles and the combustion byproducts which contaminate the ceramic. The contaminations also reduce the insulating property of the ceramic which reduces the spark due to bypass thru the ceramic.
BRTID
Year: 2010
Color: Black

Post by BRTID »

Does anyone know what the plug type is for the 2010?
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

gn2 wrote:Spark plugs are cheap cylinder head repairs aren't.
Changing the spark plug risks damaging the cylinder head if you fcuk it up, so best done as infrequently as possible.
A plug will easily last ten to fifteen thousand miles in a PCX (or Forza)
I agree with gn2 on this.
Very easy to screw up these tiny spark plug replacements. Cross/thread - over/tighten - under/tighten - etc.
So, I use a new Iridium NGK and forget about the plug for the life of the scooter (or mine).

Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

To avoid cross threading I suppose everyone knows the turning it backwards trick?

Screw the plug slowly anti-clockwise until you feel the plug drop over the start of the thread. Then screw it clockwise. Simples.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

BRTID,
The service manual for the 2011 PCX 125 shows the following as the plug: CPR7EA-9 (NGK)
(Page 4-7 of the Service Manual).
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers