~ Soon to Own a 2019 PCX ~

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Aries68
Year: 2021 ADV 150
Color: Matte Black

~ Soon to Own a 2019 PCX ~

Post by Aries68 »

Greetings!

I've been eying up and watching videos and sitting on the PCX 2019 at our local Honda dealer and I plan to purchase one this Spring!

I just wanted to introduce myself and talk about the PCX. I don't have a lot of questions but it's always good to get tips and ideas on something before you pull the trigger.

I wish they made more colors, although the current scheme looks pretty nice. I live in the United States and it's one color only. I've seen on YouTube black and also red however. Pretty sure they were 2019 models.

Anyway, glad to be here!
It's About The Journey!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Re: ~ Soon to Own a 2019 PCX ~

Post by WhiteNoise »

Welcome Aboard the Forum(s) Aries! I'm glad you hopped onboard too!

Yep, bets are on that you'll be sporting a '19 PCX come "Early" Spring 8)
In the meantime stick with us and do some (or lotsa) reading. And don't forget to Use the Search Button at the top right (of every page) that'll help you find reviews and other pertinent pre-buyer topics (most found under the "PCX General" heading).
Or....Ask away! We're here and our forum members are full of great advice wisdom experience and love (Wait!! Love? "What's Love Got to Do With It?") :D

Ok, so are we to count the days or months? hmm...
Anxiety: Level 10

Later...
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'm really excited about placing my tush on a 2019 because of the improvements made to the vehicle. Although, I wouldn't know any difference because I have not rode any PCX yet. I've sat on one though! You know, sitting there admiring the beauty of the machine and pretending it's warm outside while I flip the middle finger to crazy drivers on my butt. (Kidding about that last part) :) Anyhoo, I don't flip my finger, I just point my gun and they back off. Also kidding.... :) I'm not a violent man, really!

I noticed you have the 2015 white color. Honestly, white would be my ideal choice because people see you better and well, I just like the color because it brings out the contrast of the other parts of the scooter. This is why I prefer white cars too. To me it's just a classy look. I was surprised to learn that the 2019 only comes in one color. Not sure why Honda opted to go that route. Perhaps because of keeping the price point competitive after some of those upgrades. The color (bronze?) on the 2019 isn't bad though and it's not anything that would prevent me from purchasing it and I'm sure Honda knows that.

One thing I was curious about what if I am going to need a taller wind screen. The super cool guy at the dealer told me to put about 600 miles on it first before I decide on anything. Probably a wise choice. He also mentioned if I do opt for a taller shield to be careful choosing some after market options because of the clearance of the handlebars/mirrors. The Honda OEM shield is tapered for that reason. That's a very good point he brought up.

Another thing I thought of was an upgraded seat that had a backrest to it. I've seen some on the Internet and they don't look that bad actually. I've always enjoyed back support but again, that can come at a later time if I feel I really feel the need.

Other than that, I don't see what I could possibly want to change, or upgrade. Not at least until I see others talking about them. :)

Have a great Friday!
It's About The Journey!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Honda OEM screens for scooters are made by another company, you can nearly always get the exact same screen without Honda branding for much less money.

Taller screens tend to increase buffeting of the helmet from turbulent air, best not to bother imo.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Ah, good to know thank you.
It's About The Journey!
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by gregsta »

I just recently bought a brand new Honda PCX had a the dealer fit one of the expensive genuine screens as their was nothing else about. I have own a earlier model as well 2014 and to look at you would think they are the same bike apart from the LED lights on the front.

But they are worlds apart to ride, 2 totally different bikes you will not been disappointed, it is such a lovely bike to ride and even after having it a few months now it still blows my mind what a good bike it is.

Welcome to the Forums!!!
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Nice! Thanks for the encouragement. I honestly can't wait to own one. I don't plan to venture on to any highways, just mainly back roads and around my community. You can get to most places anyway without getting on a highway if need be. That's half the joy....taking the back roads! :)

When I watch YouTube reviews on the 2019 version people mention the difference in ride quality I've noticed. I thought about getting a 2018, but for the money, the 2019 won't break the bank and the overall joy I think will be well worth the difference more so than saving a few hundred bucks, or even a thousand. I'm not rich by all means but I plan to own this for a long time so why not stretch out to get something I really would enjoy a lot better.
It's About The Journey!
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

If you come from a warm climate then I don't think that you'll need a taller screen. It's of benefit in the UK, of course, but not essential. Not many companies have screens for the 2019 model anyway so take your dealers advice and try running with stock for a few miles before you buy.
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

I live in Ohio, USA. It gets cold in the winter but nice in the summer. We have all four seasons really. So from about May-October is ride time, then it becomes kinda cold.

Yes, I will stick with the stock setup for a while, thanks.
It's About The Journey!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

When I got my PCX I traded down from a 900cc Triumph Daytona.
My whole riding style and outlook changed, I explored winding country back roads and found all manner of interesting things you just don't see blasting along on a big bike.
Riding the PCX put me back in touch with the simple pleasures of my youth, when I enjoyed nothing better than exploring the countryside.
I reckon you'll really enjoy your new PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

gn2 wrote:I explored winding country back roads and found all manner of interesting things you just don't see blasting along on a big bike.
Moving to the Forza I lost the "spontaneity" of the PCX which is a bike that you can really gel with and go/stop anywhere almost without thinking. The Forza is a great machine but it's more akin to a regular motorcycle and I miss that magical scooter madness!
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

you are right oldie i have a xmax 300 and i have more miles on the pcx than the xmax i prefer the pcx only using the xmax if the roads are wet due to the x max having both frount and rear abs
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I think it's all personal taste and what you're used to, I have an xMax 300 and That's just 100 pounds more than a PCX. I find it to be just as light and agile, I can pull it up on curbs, can get in and around stuff. It's one of the reasons that I like the bike more than my old PCX, as it still feels light, yet doesn't get blown around at interstate speeds.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I think it's all personal taste and what you're used to, I have an xMax 300 and That's just 100 pounds more than a PCX. I find it to be just as light and agile, I can pull it up on curbs, can get in and around stuff. It's one of the reasons that I like the bike more than my old PCX, as it still feels light, yet doesn't get blown around at interstate speeds.
Did you notice much of a difference in effort to get the new XMax up on the center stand compared your old PCX? When you are on the XMax, is the additional 100 lbs. much more of a burden when you have to back up using your feet . . . like getting out of a parking space etc. . ..? :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Nice! Thanks for the encouragement. I honestly can't wait to own one. I don't plan to venture on to any highways, just mainly back roads and around my community. You can get to most places anyway without getting on a highway if need be. That's half the joy....taking the back roads! :)
The PCX really is a great machine . . . especially for the price. :D

Just make sure it "fits" you so-to-speak. The seat comfort is OK for some and not so OK for others depending upon your height and weight etc. . ..

You will be amazed by the fuel economy and performance.

As your confidence builds with the PCX you may (or may not) find yourself wishing you had a bigger scooter so you could indeed travel on major highways. Some call it "cc itis". It happens with boats also . . "3 feet itis". Don't let it bother you. Just weigh everything out in your decision making and buy a machine that will support your overall needs. :geek:

FWIW I've been riding for a long time and I seldom ride my motorcycles on Interstate Highways anymore due to the pace of traffic, vehicle density, and inconsistent road conditions in my region. So if your goal is to just ride on the less traveled roads or secondary roads the PCX will do the job. In the cities it works great also. 8)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

Old Grinner wrote:
Did you notice much of a difference in effort to get the new XMax up on the center stand compared your old PCX? When you are on the XMax, is the additional 100 lbs. much more of a burden when you have to back up using your feet . . . like getting out of a parking space etc. . ..? :geek:
I was totally shocked the first time I pulled up on the centerstand. It is absolutely as easy as my PCX. I have no idea why they are the same. Backing up with my feet also feels the same.

The only downside I have to the Xmax is it's slightly taller than my PCX. I was flat foot on the pcx but I am slightly on my toes, ALMOST flat footed, but not totally. I think it's because the seat is wide, Both the stock and the optional comfort seat.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
gregsta
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Post by gregsta »

Jge64 wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:
I was totally shocked the first time I pulled up on the centerstand. It is absolutely as easy as my PCX. I have no idea why they are the same. Backing up with my feet also feels the same.

The only downside I have to the Xmax is it's slightly taller than my PCX. I was flat foot on the pcx but I am slightly on my toes, ALMOST flat footed, but not totally. I think it's because the seat is wide, Both the stock and the optional comfort seat.
The new pcx is wider than the old ones, so if you did consider getting the new model you might run into the same issue and the Xmax 125cc is £1600 more expensive it is a better bike but that was a bit out of budget as I have finance on on a 2 year old car as well.The Xmax is a amazing bike!!!!
GatorGreg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by GatorGreg »

Jge64 wrote:
Old Grinner wrote:

After putting my 529 pound VFR800 on its centerstand for over 2 years, trust me when I say that putting up a PCX, SMAX, XMAX, or Forza would have to be a relative breeze in comparison :D
2018 Yamaha SMAX Raven Black (aka Majesty S)
RIP 2015 Honda PCX 150 Pearl White
RIP 2010 Honda Elite (Lead) 110 Black
Check out GatorGreg's Motovlog on YouTube
Aries68

Post by Aries68 »

Thanks for all the feedback so far! I had a motorcycle decades ago and although it was an "ok" experience, I don't necessarily enjoy dealing with driving on major roads (especially highways) with all the crazies out there. What I enjoy more is putting around subdivisions, back roads and even parks as I'll have my camera strapped to my back, looking for photo opportunities. My hobby is photography and I plan to strap on a camera backpack and just enjoy venturing the countryside to find those special photo opportunities. Now to me, that's the best joy on two wheels I can imagine. Even if I don't choose to have a camera on me, the feeling of just not being in any hurry, cruising around, taking life slow and enjoying the eye candy and subtle breeze brings me more joy than just getting from point A to B having to deal with a lot of traffic. I guess I have matured past the days of street riding. Heck, I can do that in my car with the windows down and my sunroof open any day. To each his/her own. We all go through phases in life and that's why there's so many different vehicle selections out there.
It's About The Journey!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You do know, I hope, that the PCX has plenty of storage room safely under the seat for your camera. Always keep in mind that loose items, such as your camera, can become broken items if you fall off of that beauty. It does happen, and not necessarily through any fault of your own.

This is not said to frighten you but rather to let you know that stuff happens, and you wouldn't feel very happy if you took a spill and broke your camera.

When my wife and I had our accident back in 2015 it was not through any fault of our own. We were on a nice country road, on our way home. Because of some road construction at a main road, traffic was being rerouted to that country road. It went from very little traffic to sudden traffic jams. Then everyone was moving along at 45 mph and a work truck hauling a trailer in front of us suddenly crossed the center line and hit a van head on. Both were doing 45 mph. We ended up in that mess. It turned out that the truck driver was texting while driving and missed the curve in the road.

The point I am making is, keep valuable items secure while out riding on your scooter, just in case. If reaching under the seat for your camera is too much of a hassle, then get a tail box. Better yet, if you have a small enough camera, attach it to the bike handlebars with a Ram Mount.

Last note: would you mind going into your profile and adding your general location, please. Once you move on to another thread on this forum we will not remember where you are, and that is important when you ask for help or advice. This is an international forum. Thank you.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers