PCX 125 2018 remove side panels

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

trumpeter999
Year: 2018
Color: red

PCX 125 2018 remove side panels

Post by trumpeter999 »

Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully I'm in the right place and I haven't failed to find an answer that's already present.

Can anyone offer any advice about this seemingly simple thing, please: I just want to route the power for a pair of Oxford heated grips behind the panel to the battery. I know I could hack the electrics at the front but Oxford has included a system to switch the grips off automatically when the battery isn't charging, I thought it rude not to use it.

It's my son's bike. I'm used to a bit of fettling. But I'm stuck at the large Side Panels on this new 2018 model. There's a video of a dismantling on Youtube (in Thai I think, but hey) and the demonstrator gets stuck on the side panel and gives up!

Many thanks in advance

Neil

Edited/Notation 1/8/19 by WN for Neil:
He would like readers to know that he has this partly solved. He did Not remove the panels but was successful in routing the cables behind them.

Cheers to that Neil 8)
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016 Special
Color: White Edition

Re: PCX 125 2018 remove side panels

Post by PCX2016 »

Hi Neil, I have not done this yet, my PCX is a week old. It looks easier to get power right from the ignition. This way your wires will be short.
trumpeter999 wrote:Hi, this is my first post. Hopefully I'm in the right place and I haven't failed to find an answer that's already present.

Can anyone offer any advice about this seemingly simple thing, please: I just want to route the power for a pair of Oxford heated grips behind the panel to the battery. I know I could hack the electrics at the front but, as Oxford has included a system to switch the grips off automatically when the battery isn't charging, I thought it rude not to use it.

It's my son's bike. I'm used to a bit of fettling. But I'm stuck at the large side panels on this new model. There's a video of a dismantling on Youtube (in Thai I think, but hey) and the demonstrator gets stuck on the side panel and gives up!

Many thanks in advance

Neil
Attachments
2018-12-28.png
2018-12-28.png (36.52 KiB) Viewed 2491 times
American in Cambodia !!!
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, I removed the the windscreen and the panel covering the speedometer, then I used an old car aerial and taped the feed wire to it removed the battery cover and threaded the cable through to the front where I made the connections to the grips making sure all the cables were clear of the steering by zip ties, I connected direct to battery via fuse as they are the intelligent type that switch off if they don't sence voltage change, make sure on the throttle side that the bar end does not foul the grip as it will cause it to not return, they work great left grip cooler than right due to being onto metal, have fun , Lafree
trumpeter999

Post by trumpeter999 »

Thanks very much for the responses Lafree and PCX2016.

But somebody round here, sometime, is going to need to remove the side panel. So I'm going to hang out and do the job properly. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the side panel, please?

Neil
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

trumpeter999 wrote:Thanks very much for the responses Lafree and PCX2016.

But somebody round here, sometime, is going to need to remove the side panel. So I'm going to hang out and do the job properly. Does anyone have any idea how to remove the side panel, please?

Neil
Plenty of videos on YouTube my friend, just do a search.
American in Cambodia !!!
trumpeter999

Post by trumpeter999 »

PCX2016 wrote:

Neil
Thanks for that, PCX2016 but, as I said in my original post, there's so far only one video that covers the new 2018 model; the video in Thai (I think) and the demonstrator gives up before removing the side panel.

But if you would like to prove me wrong and post a link to one of the 'plenty' of videos you mention, you would make me very happy and grateful :-)

Neil
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

Hey sorry about that, one thing that I didn't neglect to think about. The differences between the models so you are correct, I just took a quick look and the side panel video is a 2018. I believe it is in Thai

trumpeter999 wrote:
PCX2016 wrote:

Neil
Thanks for that, PCX2016 but, as I said in my original post, there's so far only one video that covers the new 2018 model; the video in Thai (I think) and the demonstrator gives up before removing the side panel.

But if you would like to prove me wrong and post a link to one of the 'plenty' of videos you mention, you would make me very happy and grateful :-)

Neil
American in Cambodia !!!
trumpeter999

Post by trumpeter999 »

No worries!

I'll have another look and see if I can work it out. If I can, I'll post here. The problem is that there's an element of pulling apart with a fair bit of force, and if you don't guess the right direction there's a risk of breaking something!
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019

Post by cnikonpete »

Not sure if this will help,if you search bike parts Honda there is a uk site which has parts diagrams for our bike,at least you will see where the clips are.
PCX2016
Regular User
Regular User

Post by PCX2016 »

American in Cambodia !!!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

For the '14-18 models, the worst panels by far for what I removed, and I broke nearly every clip off them are the two inner panels just under the dash - the glove box one and the ignition one as they do not have any screws, just lots of very tight press clips that are angled.
Even trying to get them back off again (CBS brake reservoir access) proved hard so I gave up as they are both snugly on with just one or two of the 'yellow' ended clips and a few tight areas holding them on. They are flush and lasted months since I worked on the bike so not bothering with new ones - hear those tiny bits of plastic in the UK white colour cost about £100 for both!
trumpeter999

Post by trumpeter999 »

Thanks very much, cnikonpete and PCX2016. It's very helpful to see pictures of the parts. And it's great to know about those sites.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Best find - 2015-2016 Panel removal by: makeshifthappen. His videos are genius! I always appreciate his work. Should give you a great idea of how, what's what and where to look.
You should also check out member homie's youtube how-to's. Genius as well!

Other than that, Not much out there on 2018 body panel removal.
Ah, I did watch a Thai vid as well ;) lengthy, on a 2018. Probably the one you mentioned in your above first post. Bits of help can be found there. No english.

Key is to take your time, enjoy tooling and discovering. You'll smile and be proud when your son looks at you like... "You're" The Man, "Dad!"
Success! :P
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
trumpeter999

Post by trumpeter999 »

Thanks for taking the trouble, WhiteNoise :-)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

WhiteNoise wrote:
Best find - 2015-2016 Panel removal by: makeshifthappen. His videos are genius! I always appreciate his work. Should give you a great idea of how, what's what and where to look. You should also check out member homie's youtube how-to's. Genius as well!
He has two videos for panel remocal, which I watched so many times and still broke my panels as they were so tight to remove, even when you know they pull off to one side not straight. As mentioned, even trying to get them off again with many tabs broken off I still gave up as they were still held on well.
Best option for replacement was ordering from the US as it was only about £40 delivered rather than £100 here, but the white colour would not quite be the same - no biggy being recessed inside as part of the dash. I even thought of removing the yellow clips from the white tabs (they make it hard and do the work, not the white posts!) and add some screws to hold them on, only then others could easily remove them and gain access to the ignition wiring.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Geez iceman,...videoman "makeshifthappen" makes it look so easy :D Doesn't he?
He's removed those panels many a time I bet! Towards the end of his vid, he says man up (a bit of a roar with a bite :lol: ) to getting those two front panels off (glove box and ignition panel).

You've had a tough time removing yours. Could be yer bike's older, been places others haven't, weather climate and all - ya know, gettin' dirty. Those crevices, nooks n crannies. Things seize up, shoot even I do (uh :roll: forget I said that!)
Anywho, his vids a keeper and helpful at that. You say he's got another? Didn't see it. If it pertains to said topic would you please post it here?

I'm truly hoping that Honda's been (slowly) addressing this issue, because some panels can be (are) a p.i.t.a. to remove. Most of us have busted a clip or two, and/or the tabs. Give me screws nuts n bolts - thems easy peezie. (Psst...they won't. Bring it in for service = $$$. Bingo!)
And that's okay too. After all, we just wanna ride
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

There's no massive conspiracy as to why they use pops and clips to put things together these days, I mod on a lot of cars, and every one of the cars these days is the same way. It is done for one inherent reason;to increase the build quality of the product. When something snaps into place, it only fits one way, the worker can't over torque a screw or bolt with one of his air screwdrivers on the line, a and he can't fit it an improper way. Also since there's no screws or metal fasteners, there's less to rust. Don't look For this to go away, more stuff will snap together in the future.

A master tech once told me that if you pull the plastic off in the prescribed order that's in the shop manual, You will have many clips less busted. Many of the busted clips these days are because somebody tried to pull off a panel that's being held on by another panel, that should've been taken off first.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

True and Very good explanation! I get that Glen. Doesn't mean I have to like it (being old schooler's).
Pops n clips do make for lighter vehicles (a tiny plus for us when it comes to registration fee). Pounds matter. It influences Fuel used per gallon etc etc. I Remember the days when making a 4 wheel vehicle lighter was the mission. Tis why we are where we are today. Clippity clop. A tune we hear every so often better known as "Snap crackle pop!"

Agree with proper order of removal. Makes sense. Common sense too. Follow those service manuals folks! Shortcuts cost ya! I calls it "cheating" and 90% of the time it'll bite me/you in the arse. Some Big bites included.

The suns out! Have a great 3rd day of 2019! :P
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

The big problem that I have seen is the snaps and pops don't release well in all situations. I literally have been extremely careful , used lube and have been pulling directly away from the snap with a trim tool , and had the whole thing come off in my hands. So yeah I understand it, but I hate it too.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

Jge64 wrote:The big problem that I have seen is the snaps and pops don't release well in all situations. I literally have been extremely careful , used lube and have been pulling directly away from the snap with a trim tool , and had the whole thing come off in my hands. So yeah I understand it, but I hate it too.
Yep, same here, but as Whitenoise mentioned, age and brittleness come into play, and my bike being outside for near 5 years. The temp when I did the work was the end of summer but still getting colder - yet those yellow clips were hard to press even when I had one and it's white post indoors.
It's hard to press the sides of them in with pliers let alone apply enough force to squeeze them when they are installed on the bike. Much too strong a force needed and the ridges a little too deep (ridges molded outwards). I believe the panels (and attached posts) are one item but they yellow press clips that sanp on the posts are sold or listed seperately.