Gas to put in my PCX 150

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Gas to put in my PCX 150

Post by iceman »

I believe Asda (UK walmart) only have one unleaded fuel at their self-serve pumps and it's 97 ron (UK spec) and it works a treat - PCX runs smooth and can easily accelerate away form lights faster than cars/lorries. Great fuel economy too - no need to use more expensive stuff.
Re: 'I use 87 in the winter and 89 in the summer here in the USA' < do they change the fuel mix over in the US for winter/summer like they do over here? If so, why change the fuel type - is that not already covered by any change the manufacturers do for winter times?
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

The winter/summer fuel reformulation is for U.S. environmental regs that dictate "reduced vapor pressure" (for reduced evaporative emissions) fuel for warm weather. It costs more to make (and so to buy). In winter fuel doesn't evaporate as easily due to cold temps. Octane #'s remain the same, however.
adrianwo
Year: 2014
Color: matt grey

Post by adrianwo »

I've been testing many of the brands/octane available here, and I've found that RON 98 does make a little difference. The pcx 125 has a compression ratio of 11/1 which is a lot for a conventional RON 95 (but still perfectly usable). The 150 model has around 10/1 or 10.5/1 compression ratio which can works better with less octane.
With Repsol neotech 98, probably the best gas you can buy here, my pcx gets to the rev limiter easily, whereas with shell 95, bp 95 or repsol 95 struggle to get there. It also runs a bit smoother above 50km/h, when rpm start to raise, and fuel consumption has dropt a little bit, not enough to pay the extra cost of higher octane though.
So I'm definitively paying one more € per tank, it lasts 400km anyway so not much difference after all.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

Interesting observation. Does the 125 have a knock sensor?
adrianwo
Year: 2014
Color: matt grey

Post by adrianwo »

I'm prety sure ir has it. The 125 model is supposed to work even with RON 91, which is way too low for a 11/1 compression ratio engine.
It has to have a knock sensor to avoid premature detonations.
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by j.d.b. »

That would explain the "little better-ness" with the higher octane fuel. If the sensor detects knock it pulls out some timing(on a car, up to 6 degrees). At 11 to 1 with poop fuel, there might be some knock, especially in hot, low humidity conditions. With the better fuel, you should see less knock and would tend to get (or keep) all the timing out of the cal. (optimal running for the given speed-load point).
Modern times, modern fuel control. Nice!
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Fugu »

The new Honda PCX 125 from 2015 and above has Knock sensor yes, atleast from what i can see.
And as you said Adrianwo, i live in Spain as well and only run the Repsol 98 octane, and i swear I could feel the little difference too.
Then people can hate all they want :-) I saw the finest gold and silk yes.
Tonyx

Post by Tonyx »

No, PCX does not have knock sensor. That's false information.
As stated many times, PCX engines were designed for 91 RON or 87 AKI gasoline which is widely available in all parts of the world. Knock sensor is the only way it can tangibly benefit from higher grade gasoline.
Fugu
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016

Post by Fugu »

Tonyx wrote:No, PCX does not have knock sensor. That's false information.
As stated many times, PCX engines were designed for 91 RON or 87 AKI gasoline which is widely available in all parts of the world. Knock sensor is the only way it can tangibly benefit from higher grade gasoline.
I personally was recommended 98 by my honda dealer.
The Knock sensor I have no idea about, sounds like nobody does ;-)
writergirl4017
Year: 2019
Color: Bronze Metalic

Post by writergirl4017 »

I am new PCX owner. The only recommended oil in manual is 10W-30 which is good for cold weather riding. But should I use a different oil in the summer? It can get pretty hot in Pennsylvania where I live.
gc2301

Post by gc2301 »

Honda makes a 10w-40 HPM I think which has molybendum in it which is good for our scooters. The 10w-40 is the oil my local dealer suggests down here in FL. By the way, it is 12:07 here. How did you post at 12:35am, time warp? Site clock must off because it says an hour ahead.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

writergirl4017 wrote:I am new PCX owner. The only recommended oil in manual is 10W-30 which is good for cold weather riding. But should I use a different oil in the summer? It can get pretty hot in Pennsylvania where I live.
10w 30 will be fine all year round in Penna.....dont overthink this.......
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI