Is this a rectifier issue?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DushFernando92
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl White

Is this a rectifier issue?

Post by DushFernando92 »

My battery has died for the 4th time, 3 times after washing the bike on the previous day.. recent one was just without even getting itself wet :/ I have 3 headlights died recently and 1 brake light within recent 2 months.. This morning I plugged the battery, it was around 12.06V, after the ignition on it went down 11.76V and after started the bike it went higher 13-14V.. However I noticed if I accelerated over 45kmph, the battery reading goes down pretty fast below 6V-8V.. Is this normal? I want to replace the battery, feels like it is kind of bad or I don't know.. Any idea where could be the fault is?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Is this a rectifier issue?

Post by Jge64 »

If you are getting a charge of 14 the regulator is fine, sounds like the battery…Take it out and take it to any auto parts store and have them do a load test, not to be confused with the voltage test.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

Jge64 wrote:If you are getting a charge of 14 the regulator is fine, sounds like the battery…Take it out and take it to any auto parts store and have them do a load test, not to be confused with the voltage test.
Thank you! I will :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Not sure why four lights have died in a few months if the battery is getting old and low
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:Not sure why four lights have died in a few months if the battery is getting old and low
It's clearly a battery issue I guess, probably my brake light had died which I didn't notice until I lost 3 headlights, then after replacing the dead break light, it fixed the issue of killing other bulbs maybe? Before the headlights die, there was always noticeable flickering on the beam. Anyway the battery has died completely after I started motorcycle today few times to test its reading(after turned off the engine and tried in 10 mins, it's dead), now I'm stuck at home again.. (I bought the battery yesterday after charging it). I will replace it ASAP.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DushFernando92 wrote:
iceman wrote:Not sure why four lights have died in a few months if the battery is getting old and low
It's clearly a battery issue I guess, probably my brake light had died which I didn't notice until I lost 3 headlights, then after replacing the dead break light, it fixed the issue of killing other bulbs maybe? Before the headlights die, there was always noticeable flickering on the beam. Anyway the battery has died completely after I started motorcycle today few times to test its reading(after turned off the engine and tried in 10 mins, it's dead), now I'm stuck at home again.. (I bought the battery yesterday after charging it). I will replace it ASAP.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

May be worth checking the AC volts (not DC) at the battery as the rectifier may still be faulty - if one of the diodes has failed. Bulbs can blow if stessed and over-voltaged, not sure they would fail if the volts drop low as often bulbs last much longer is under-driven. Good luck.
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:May be worth checking the AC volts (not DC) at the battery as the rectifier may still be faulty - if one of the diodes has failed. Bulbs can blow if stessed and over-voltaged, not sure they would fail if the volts drop low as often bulbs last much longer is under-driven. Good luck.
Hmmm.. I also have no idea, I haven't started the bike for over 12 hours now, will try to start it asap, if I could start it then it means the battery has been charged overnight since it's a gel battery.. If it's not then for sure, it's dead.. I will replace it anyway.
you you wrote:
DushFernando92 wrote:

Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks! Sure, I will..
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

Jge64 wrote:If you are getting a charge of 14 the regulator is fine, sounds like the battery…Take it out and take it to any auto parts store and have them do a load test, not to be confused with the voltage test.
Did a load test, that battery has failed.. or that's what he said :/
you you wrote:Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Just installed the new battery and it's dead too.. Any idea where to look for? Do I need to wait sometime after installing a new battery? or they comes without power? lol
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300
Color: Red

Post by Oldie »

Is the new battery the type where you have to add the acid first, or is it a sealed unit?

Secondly, to you have the means to charge a battery on the bench?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The battery should have come with some instructions, usually on a tiny piece of paper.

Generally you do need to charge them for a few hours before use. I've never come across one that was completely flat, even one I've acid filled myself.

Get in touch with the place you bought it from?
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

Oldie wrote:Is the new battery the type where you have to add the acid first, or is it a sealed unit?

Secondly, to you have the means to charge a battery on the bench?
It's a seal type MF battery(it's gel right?), I just checked its multimeter reading and it was around 12.06V, and the old battery was 11.56V... Checked the new battery now after an hour or more.. It's like 12.04V now? Is there a way to read it correctly? Each time I check it, it drops by 0.01.. It happened with my old battery yesterday.. Did I get a faulty battery or did my system do something to this battery as well? :/
you you wrote:The battery should have come with some instructions, usually on a tiny piece of paper.

Generally you do need to charge them for a few hours before use. I've never come across one that was completely flat, even one I've acid filled myself.

Get in touch with the place you bought it from?
It has nothing other than the warranty card.. I am waiting few hours before I try again.. I tried to contact them but it seems they closed the shop early since it's a public holiday today :'(
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The battery isnt "dead" if its putting out 12v.

What are the symptoms of dead? No dash lights or other signs if life? Or it just wont start?
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

you you wrote:The battery isnt "dead" if its putting out 12v.

What are the symptoms of dead? No dash lights or other signs if life? Or it just wont start?
Yeah, didn't give enough power to start, odometer light goes off if it tried to start the engine.. Horn only gives very small amount of noise, signal light indicator on the dashboard is very slow performing. I recharged the battery from another location, they said probably it was an old stock, otherwise new battery don't need to be charged. Anyway I have 2 years warranty on the battery, if something goes wrong under 18 months, they'll replace it, if it's over 18, and less than 24, then they will charge 25% of a new battery.. Checked the bike this morning, it's alright. Yesterday the store guy over charged it, when he puts the multimeter there was over 13+V(They do 1 hour fast charging, and I know it's not good for battery's health).. He said he did it because I said my bike didn't start with 12.06V, which is alright to me anyway, cuz I don't understand these things, also I drove 46km so battery probably got some decent charging anyway..
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DushFernando92 wrote:
you you wrote:The battery isnt "dead" if its putting out 12v.

Yeah, didn't give enough power to start, odometer light goes off if it tried to start the engine.. Horn only gives very small amount of noise, signal light indicator on the dashboard is very slow performing. I recharged the battery from another location, they said probably it was an old stock, otherwise new battery don't need to be charged. Anyway I have 2 years warranty on the battery, if something goes wrong under 18 months, they'll replace it, if it's over 18, and less than 24, then they will charge 25% of a new battery.. Checked the bike this morning, it's alright. Yesterday the store guy over charged it, when he puts the multimeter there was over 13+V(They do 1 hour fast charging, and I know it's not good for battery's health).. He said he did it because I said my bike didn't start with 12.06V, which is alright to me anyway, cuz I don't understand these things, also I drove 46km so battery probably got some decent charging anyway..

So it’s OK for the time being?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

However I noticed if I accelerated over 45kmph, the battery reading goes down pretty fast below 6V-8V.. Is this normal?
I don’t think so.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Start by replacing charging system. Seems like something is going wrong with the voltage regulator/rectifier .
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

easyrider wrote:Start by replacing charging system. Seems like something is going wrong with the voltage regulator/rectifier .
springer1 wrote: I don’t think so.
you you wrote:
DushFernando92 wrote:
you you wrote:
So it’s OK for the time being?
Everything is alright now, readings are alright now :S