Nothing but problems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

tinybalrog
Year: 2014
Color: Red

Nothing but problems

Post by tinybalrog »

Hello all! I'm new to this forum though I have read through it before. I have a 2014 Honda Forza that I bought used with 5000 miles on it and have since put on an additional 3500miles (I've had it since July/August 2017).
I keep up with maintenance and up until a month ago it has never given me problems...
It has started dying out when started, sometimes 3+ times when I go to first turn it on. Once I'm going it feels pretty normal but there will be occasional flutters and stutters and it's died a few times at stop lights.
It's been to 3 different shops in 6 weeks and I've dropped $500 on it's repairs (a fortune for my limited finances). I've had the recalled fuel pump replaced, a new ignition put in (it was stolen and the old one was messed up), new air filter, new spark plug, fuel injection line cleaned, octane added to the fuel... the problem is unchanged.
It actually ran normally for about 2 days after the fuel pump was replaced but that's about it.
I can't take it anymore and I'm thinking about cutting my losses and just selling the damn thing but as a last ditch effort I figured I'd post here.
Do y'all think I'm giving up too easily? Is this normal?
I'm not attached enough to the bike to go through all this and I wish I was more mechanical myself so I could be sure the mechanics aren't just unqualified but I'm not. I also don't have more money to just throw at the problem with no certainty of a fix.
Any suggestions, relatable stories, or words of wisdom would be appreciated here.
Thank you for reading!
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Nothing but problems

Post by easyrider »

This could be a very time consuming diagnosis. The one factor you mentioned was that it ran good after a new fuel pump was installed. I would go to fuel delivery as your problem area to focus on. Firstly , where are you getting your gas from?.. You may be getting contaminated fuel or water is condensing inside the tank. Could be debris on the bottom of the tank and now the new fuel pump/filter is clogged up as well. I would start with a good fuel system cleaning. Eliminate that first then move on to sensor and electrical issues. You did say the air cleaner is new correct?.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Easyrider is correct. I am not sure how you could empty the gas tank, but that may be part of your problem. When they changed out the fuel pump did they totally empty the gas tank? If it has debris in it or water, it would settle to the bottom.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

It needs to be ridden more. Ride it like you stole it.

Where are you?
tinybalrog

Post by tinybalrog »

Thanks for the advice everyone. I totally thought it was odd that none of these mechanics had emptied the tank during their diagnostics and when I brought it up I was repeatedly shut down.
Today me and my dad are going to siphon the tank ourselves and put in some fresh gas. Fingers crossed...
tinybalrog

Post by tinybalrog »

davenowherejones

I drive it about as much as I can, it is the only vehicle I own currently. I average maybe 40-50 miles a week?
I'm located in New Mexico, in the United States.
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

Did you have both recalls done on the fuel pump? The first one was for the main body of the pump and the second one was for the pump lid.
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by AustinPCX »

I had the same issue shortly after I replaced the spark plug at the 8,000 service. The bike would die first occasionally while at idle, but would start back up. Then started dying every time at idle and became difficult to start back up. After troubleshooting everything fuel related and trying a couple new plugs without any success I just put the original back in and the problem went away instantly. Haven’t had any problems since. Almost 32,000 miles on the original spark plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

AustinPCX wrote:I had the same issue shortly after I replaced the spark plug at the 8,000 service. The bike would die first occasionally while at idle, but would start back up. Then started dying every time at idle and became difficult to start back up. After troubleshooting everything fuel related and trying a couple new plugs without any success I just put the original back in and the problem went away instantly. Haven’t had any problems since. Almost 32,000 miles on the original spark plug.

I have noticed minor variations in the spark plug number. I am not sure what the differences are or if they are critical.
tinybalrog

Post by tinybalrog »

AustinPCX wrote:I had the same issue shortly after I replaced the spark plug at the 8,000 service. The bike would die first occasionally while at idle, but would start back up. Then started dying every time at idle and became difficult to start back up. After troubleshooting everything fuel related and trying a couple new plugs without any success I just put the original back in and the problem went away instantly. Haven’t had any problems since. Almost 32,000 miles on the original spark plug.

That is fascinating because this started happening to me about 3 days after replacing the spark plug at 8200-8500 miles! Unfortunately, I don't think I have the original spark plug anymore.
I'll ask the guy who replaced it for me. Thanks for the tip.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If this was my bike I'd pop in a new spark plug and check the valve clearances first.
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

The Forza spark plug is hard to get in my area. I wonder if you have the right plug?