Checking the Coolant Level

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Checking the Coolant Level

Post by GeorgeSK »

Is it just me, or is it really hard to see the level of the coolant? I've tried bright light, in the shade, with a flashlight... all to no avail. I just can't see through the white plastic. Does the tank age and go opaque? I'm seeing the same thing with the '13 PCX, but at least it is easy to just pop the cap off and look down into the reservoir (and syringe out all the extra I put in because I could not tell that the level was actually fine).

Maybe pull the footbed and look from the top?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Checking the Coolant Level

Post by alx123 »

GeorgeSK wrote: Maybe pull the footbed and look from the top?
yes, remove the reservoir cap and use a flashlight.
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
E. Foster Salsbury
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 NSS300A

Post by E. Foster Salsbury »

Sounds like yours might be empty. I have no problem reading the level through the little window. Give the bike a little rock side to side on the centre stand to make the level stand out more.
Salsbury
2015 Forza 300ABS-2km 10/17/2015
glencoeman
Regular User
Regular User

Post by glencoeman »

E. Foster Salsbury wrote:Sounds like yours might be empty. I have no problem reading the level through the little window. Give the bike a little rock side to side on the centre stand to make the level stand out more.
That's what I do and you can see the coolant level when you rock the bike. If you can't see anything, then top up the coolant by removing the foot board cover and you will see a little hatch which is removed to top up the coolant.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

A year into owning my '14 bike, I thought the reservoir was empty, topped it up and fluid everywhere - it was full but I could not see the level :)
Without removing the mat, you may be able to shine a light from underneath and see the level easier that way - works for me but you need to jiggle the light. Another thing Honda make difficult on the PCX - it really needs less plastic and plastic that comes off easy.
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

The rectangular plastic cover embedded in the footplate, like much of the Honda plastics, far too easily snaps in half when removing with a screwdriver. Gently does it.
G'Bru