Where did my oil go?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

outlander
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Where did my oil go?

Post by outlander »

At 600 miles I replaced the oil. I am now at 2000 miles. After riding say 30 min and I turn off the scooter I can smell something odd lingering near the right side passenger footpeg.

So I put the scooter on the center stand checked the oil and no reading was showing on the dipstick. There is no oil leak and I definitely filled the correct amount of oil, any ideas?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: Where did my oil go?

Post by Jge64 »

Any smoke out the exhaust you can see? If so, Color of smoke?
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

outlander wrote:At 600 miles I replaced the oil. I am now at 2000 miles. After riding say 30 min and I turn off the scooter I can smell something odd lingering near the right side passenger footpeg.

So I put the scooter on the center stand checked the oil and no reading was showing on the dipstick. There is no oil leak and I definitely filled the correct amount of oil, any ideas?
Top it up and see what happens?
ScooteringAbout
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ScooteringAbout »

Aliens :D :lol: :lol:
aka DrewJW
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

DrewJW wrote:Aliens :D :lol: :lol:

Frakkers
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Let the bike set for 30 minutes and check it again. Remember to not screw the dip stick in when checking. One side will show more than the other due to the angle of the dip stick. Use the lowest reading. If it is still low, add the correct amount. Then take it for a short ride. Once you return from it, put the bike on its center stand and put some paper towels under the engine area. This is to make sure there aren't any leaks. It is possible that the drain bolt is not tight, or the crush washer is missing, or the bolt was cross threaded, or a host of other things. So, first you have to see if it has obvious leaks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

I topped it up by 100ml, waited 5 min and checked it and now it shows above the crosshatch.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Ok just saw the post above, I thought your supposed to screw it in all the way when you check it.
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

I just checked it like you said and it reads half full, it is definitely not leaking.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

100ml is not much, esp. if you check one instant and it reads above the crosshatch and then half-full (I suppose you mean half way down the crosshatch?). It's a silly little dip-stick and measuring level - tricky to get a good reading as you can hit the sides of the wall when you push it home.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

outlander wrote:I topped it up by 100ml, waited 5 min and checked it and now it shows above the crosshatch.
In which case you've overfilled it.
Should be in the middle.
The only way to know for sure you've got the correct amount in is to completely drain it and re-fill with the correct amount.
The dipstick is rubbish and the ground the scooter is parked on has to be dead level.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
outlander
Regular User
Regular User

Post by outlander »

Yes it is on flat concrete, on the centerstand, put the dipstick in cold and did not screw it back in, the lower side now shows in the middle of the crosshatch, when i said it was above the cross hatch, that was because I thought I was supposed to screw it all the way in.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Interesting... you know the GY6 does burn off oil at a rate faster than I expected but of course nothing like what's happening here. After break in and my first oil change I noted getting down almost off the dipstick at 2300 miles. I added a little and plan on changing it soon. Still I was surprised, but it holds so little oil I guess we shouldn't be.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Insert the dipstick, wiggle it a bit. Read results. Anywhere in the hatched area is fine. Check it every day before riding. Takes maybe 45 seconds. Not much oil is keeping our scooter engines alive.... best to keep an eye on it.
Nothing the matter with the dipstick.
Fish
FromMototoScooter

Post by FromMototoScooter »

This very thing happens to me. I'm constantly adding oil and just buy an extra quart when at service. I keep the bike at 55 most of the time, for peace of mind I'm telling myself it's normal.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
outlander wrote:I topped it up by 100ml, waited 5 min and checked it and now it shows above the crosshatch.
In which case you've overfilled it.
Should be in the middle.
The only way to know for sure you've got the correct amount in is to completely drain it and re-fill with the correct amount.
The dipstick is rubbish and the ground the scooter is parked on has to be dead level.
You can always take a little out with a syringe
j.d.b.
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red

Post by j.d.b. »

There are only a couple ways oil can leave a motor: Leaking through a seal. etc. or out the exhaust (coming up past the rings or through the pcv/breather system, maybe valve guides)(there is a remote possibility it can be going into the cooling system. but that won't stay hidden long).
If you find no direct leakage, I suggest you do a consumption test to get some useful data points. Do a proper, controlled oil change and note the miles. Check at intervals on the same ground after shutting down and letting it sit the same amount of time before checking. You can choose intervals you like, but stay consistent(hours would likely be the most accurate measurement base). You should get a good idea(slope) of how much oil is being used/lost in what amount of miles/hours. I can't pull up what Honda calls acceptable oil usage, but I should think the shop manual or one of our more experienced members should know that figure. All motors normally consume SOME oil.
Good luck in your research!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The two 2013 pcx 150s we have don't lose oil. I check them almost everytime we ride and the level stays the same from oil change to oil change. I'm surprised that yours is losing oil. You may have to take it to the shop to have them figure it out. I know of several other pcx owners who also don't have an oil loss problem. Clean up your scooter so that you can recheck after each ride to get a better idea of how much it is losing, and possibly where.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
masator
Year: 2018
Color: Red

Post by masator »

Is it normal for the bike to burn oil during the break in period? The reason I'm asking is that when I took it from the shop and driven 80 miles, it was way above the maximum. I have taken out 0.7dl (less than 10%) and checked the level again, it was showing a little bit over the maximum. One day later was also showing a little bit above the maximum. However, 3 days later, it is between the minimum and the middle on the stick. Is it possible that the oil is being burnt? There is definitely no leak.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

masator wrote:Is it normal for the bike to burn oil during the break in period? The reason I'm asking is that when I took it from the shop and driven 80 miles, it was way above the maximum. I have taken out 0.7dl (less than 10%) and checked the level again, it was showing a little bit over the maximum. One day later was also showing a little bit above the maximum. However, 3 days later, it is between the minimum and the middle on the stick. Is it possible that the oil is being burnt? There is definitely no leak.

Are you leaving the same amount of time between switching off the engine and checking the oil on each check. The reason why I'm asking is that it takes a little time for residual oil to return to the sump.