Honda PCX Instrument Panel SMD LED

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

DushFernando92
Year: 2013
Color: Pearl White

Honda PCX Instrument Panel SMD LED

Post by DushFernando92 »

[img width=5312 height=2988]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1HjKos ... b6gdeIE_L3[/img]
[img width=5312 height=2988]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X10Mu ... zu7KyM_I9I[/img]
[img width=5312 height=2988]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1NDNLc ... Xt7G9fdQFy[/img]
[img width=5312 height=2988]https://drive.google.com/open?id=1u1llp ... KbiGMGNS-X[/img]

Here are the SMD LEDs used in PCX 2012-14 they are about 3mmx2.5mm, does anyone know the voltage of these LEDs? or way to check them? Thanks.. I've uploaded a small clip how those dead LEDs look like when I start the engine(I actually didn't know they actually light up at least for a second)
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: Honda PCX Instrument Panel SMD LED

Post by GeorgeSK »

It is my understanding that LED's either work or they don't. Where yours come on for a bit, then fade and go out, I think you have a power problem. I wish I could help further. Good luck.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

GeorgeSK wrote:It is my understanding that LED's either work or they don't. Where yours come on for a bit, then fade and go out, I think you have a power problem. I wish I could help further. Good luck.
Those dead/dying LEDs (they are very weak) are getting around 11.xxV is it possible? I mean LEDs made to work on 12V or something else burned off in the dashboard which prevents those LEDs getting its required current? I can't detach the panel since LCD is on the way, it is pretty weird the way attached.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Leds do not last forever, but generally should last a long time. They are diodes after all, albeit emitting light, so they need a certain voltage to operate with a much reduced cut-off compared to bulbs which just get dim when fed low volts. They may have reservoir capacitors to hold a small charge.
I'd check the connections, if you have a dodgy earth or multi-way, then that causes issues and can reduce life.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Leds do not last forever, but generally should last a long time. They are diodes after all, albeit emitting light, so they need a certain voltage to operate with a much reduced cut-off compared to bulbs which just get dim when fed low volts. They may have reservoir capacitors to hold a small charge.
I'd check the connections, if you have a dodgy earth or multi-way, then that causes issues and can reduce life.

Maybe run a separate earth as a test?
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:Leds do not last forever, but generally should last a long time. They are diodes after all, albeit emitting light, so they need a certain voltage to operate with a much reduced cut-off compared to bulbs which just get dim when fed low volts. They may have reservoir capacitors to hold a small charge.
I bought this bike last April and there was no light on the meter digits, I didn't even know it existed until I saw it on YouTube lol I was always wondering why the hell only the red meter indicator has a light xD Anyway I've spent over 14 hours today to fix the light, since I'm bad at soldering, I've failed over 30 times and had to throw around 30 SMD LEDs I've removed from LED light bulbs.. I thought I might have ruined the PMB but at the end, I have attached the smd LEDs with a clear tape, then masking tape piece to back it up then few Teflon tape pieces as well, The SMD LEDs I've used is larger than its original size, however it's working well now, even I don't know how long, I'll fix it after I order some LEDs from the same size..
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

You're a man on a mission! I don't think I've spent 14 hours straight on anything. Ever.

Hope it all works out for you. It should, given your tenacity.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Good fix, as a new panel (not Ebay 2nd) costs a lot!
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

iceman wrote:Good fix, as a new panel (not Ebay 2nd) costs a lot!
yeah, I would never replace that part just because of an LED anyway..
GeorgeSK wrote:You're a man on a mission! I don't think I've spent 14 hours straight on anything. Ever.

Hope it all works out for you. It should, given your tenacity.
Hope it will last for a while :')
Nemesis
Year: 2012

Post by Nemesis »

Any photos from the board maybe?
DushFernando92

Post by DushFernando92 »

Nemesis wrote:Any photos from the board maybe?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=122hpt ... ClbJA1HnCV

Anyway, I am sorry, I totally forgot to take a picture of the other side :(