Damaged new drive face when torquing. Is this an issue?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Damaged new drive face when torquing. Is this an issue?

Post by romnation »

I damaged a couple of the fins on my new NCY drive face when trying to torque the nut down and hold the variator with the holding tool. It looks like I took a chunk out of one of the fins, and gouged up a couple others. What does this piece actually do? Will this damage be an issue? Or am I fine to keep using it? If it is a problem, can i put the stock one in place in conjunction with all of the other ncy stuff until a new drive face arrives?

On a side note I only managed to get the nut torqued to about 30lbs, going to have to find another way to do this. It drives but sounds louder and feels different. It also makes a rattling noise now so something isn't right. Not sure if any of this is related to either the nut torque or fin damage or is another issue altogether. Anyone have any advice?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (181.82 KiB) Viewed 1234 times
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Re: Damaged new drive face when torquing. Is this an issue?

Post by easyrider »

The fin damage is minimal ,however unlikely it may cause an imbalanced rotational force.
Hope nothing is bent or out of round with the broken fins.Check for smooth rotation and look for any abnormalties.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

@romnation

Based on my limited knowledge, the fins are there to act as a fan and ventilate the variator for cooling purpose. Probably not of a big deal.

@rattling noise

Did you make sure to put all rollers in their correct position. I did a mistake of just putting them all randomly at first, then I experienced that rattling noise as well.

When I re install them correctly, the rattling was gone.
42307857_2125427507490171_3941509968783474688_o.jpg
42307857_2125427507490171_3941509968783474688_o.jpg (140.54 KiB) Viewed 1391 times

nonte: I wouldn't suggest running the scoot with the variator nut under torqued
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

The fin damage isn’t an issue but the undertorquing could be if the nut comes loose.

You need to concentrate on this.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

If you spin that at 8000 rpm it will be out of balance without doubt. Even if it does not look like a lot of mass is missing, centrifugal forces are in play- i would replace the part.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I reinstalled an OEM drive face on my bike quite a while back I broke some fins. I was told to go to the opposite side and try to break those fins about the same as was on the other side. That way they won't be out of balance. However, in your case I think that I would put the OEM part on and order a replacement NCY drive face. To tighten the nut, don'the try to use the normal tool. There are no holes to put it in. Try a large rubber strap wrench. It should hold, though it may be a little tricky to attach at first.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote: I broke some fins. I was told to go to the opposite side and try to break those fins about the same as was on the other side.
:lol: :lol: :lol: that's funny Mel

to the original poster;
Go get another face and use a large oil filter removal tool (the rubber band type) The band will take abuse but you'll achieve the 44 foot pounds without breaking anything. To be honest I took this short cut once with a socket wedged between a fin and one of the CVT bolts. Confident one fin could take the pressure I was successful one day but chipped a fin another... lesson learned.
Attachments
unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (110.66 KiB) Viewed 1368 times
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

I'm not sure what's going on here. Now I can't remove the new NCY drive face at all. I got the nut off but the drive face won't budge now. It's like it's welded itself to the scooter. I don't know if I installed something wrong/backwards or what. I'm pulling on it with all of my strength and will not come off.

https://imgur.com/a/3M93bbH
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

romnation wrote:I'm not sure what's going on here. Now I can't remove the new NCY drive face at all. I got the nut off but the drive face won't budge now. It's like it's welded itself to the scooter. I don't know if I installed something wrong/backwards or what. I'm pulling on it with all of my strength and will not come off.

Is he missing a washer?
Looks like the pulley face was forced/jammed against the shaft ridges from his twist with the holder - instead of the nut tightening first? Was there play on the shaft with this non-stock part?
Might need a gentle pull from a puller.

Fish
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

fish wrote:
romnation wrote:I'm not sure what's going on here. Now I can't remove the new NCY drive face at all. I got the nut off but the drive face won't budge now. It's like it's welded itself to the scooter. I don't know if I installed something wrong/backwards or what. I'm pulling on it with all of my strength and will not come off.

Is he missing a washer?
Looks like the pulley face was forced/jammed against the shaft ridges from his twist with the holder - instead of the nut tightening first? Was there play on the shaft with this non-stock part?
Might need a gentle pull from a puller.

Fish
It looks like I did forget the washer. Doh. I examined everything and all rollers look to be inserted properly. I'm still having problems getting the nut torqued past 30ft lbs even with the rubber strap wrench. Is there some sort of low powered impact wrench or something I could use on this without damaging anything?

I'm also still getting the rattle which I'm unsure of if this is related to the nut torque or not. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o5P73X ... e=youtu.be
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Where is the sound coming from?

If you said the rollers are postioned correctly so that the side of the rollers where there is polymer coating is the one hitting the variator wall when it's spinning..then it might be torque related problem
pcxblah
pcxblah
image.jpeg (37.44 KiB) Viewed 1237 times
I don't understand why you cannot torque it past 30 ft lbs, I'm using a cheap torque wrench that can torque up to 150 ft lbs..are you saying you can't get past 30 and it's already tight?
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

So I guess the washer was the entire issue all along. After putting the washer on I was able to easily torque it to 44ft lbs, without the use of the strap wrench. (Just used the holder tool again and was careful, didnt break any more fins) No more rattle either.

So everything is installed and seems to be working properly, but I'm not 100% convinced yet. While acceleration does seem a little better from 15-30mph, I don't think the scoot is much faster. It's also louder now, but kind of just sounds like a loud lawnmower now lol. Also now I can reach 65mph instead of 63mph, but I thought I was supposed to be able to hit 70+ after this mod? I'm using the 13g rollers btw. (Everything is all NCY) I also DO NOT have an aftermarket windshield. 2015 pcx150. Does this sound right or is something still amiss?
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

aftermarket variators are always best customized to each rider.. took me 3 changes of weights to get the right feel for me..

is the rpm climbing too fast than the power band? or is it too slow to climb that the engine vibrates..

or better yet use an rpm meter to know accurately..
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Time for 2 questions.

1) How many miles are on the belt?
The higher the miles on the belt, the lower your top end.

2) Do you have ANY windshield on, aside from the OEM one?
Without a windshield to divert some of that wind, it is still hitting you square in the chest, which will act like a wall to the wind.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

Mel46 wrote:Time for 2 questions.

1) How many miles are on the belt?
The higher the miles on the belt, the lower your top end.

2) Do you have ANY windshield on, aside from the OEM one?
Without a windshield to divert some of that wind, it is still hitting you square in the chest, which will act like a wall to the wind.
About 4500 miles on the belt. I actually just ordered a new one after doing some reading, along with a new drive face. No windshield aside from the stock "meter cover". Most of my riding is city at speeds around 30mph, so I haven't thrown down the cash for an aftermarket one yet. (Although it would be nice for long trips) I also prefer the no-windshield look. As a side note, hopefully I didn't do any unseen damage to the shaft with my lack of mechanical ability while trying to force this together without the washer. Everything looks okay though.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I think that once you change the belt you will see and feel an improvement in performance.

Also, even with just the medium Givi windshield on the bike you will feel the wind being diverted better. Here is the site I get my windshields from, and it happens to have ones that will fit your bike as well. The D1136st is the shorter one. Select it on the site and it will show you a picture of what it will look like on a PCX.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/giv ... -2014-2018
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

romnation wrote: As a side note, hopefully I didn't do any unseen damage to the shaft with my lack of mechanical ability while trying to force this together without the washer. Everything looks okay though.
Typically a nut would be the softer steel over any shaft it would thread on. Minimal damage should be found on the first thread inside the nut that was forced on the spline. Flip it around if it has trouble threading and forget about it, no harm done. You want a cogged belt if you can get one.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7857&p=107674&hilit ... lt#p107674

Don't be like Chief and forget to torque the nut then it comes off during the test drive :lol: :lol: :lol:
We've had some fun over the years in here, you're not the first to make a mistake. Only youyou is perfect :D
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Heck, the first time I opened the variator last week, I put the washer back between the drive face and the boss. Took me 30 mins and a broken gasket to realize why I can't close the cover back. :oops: :oops:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well...I am perfect too. I looked at the picture before reassembling it.
...(and then I did it wrong. :-\ yep, I meant to do that...err, maybe.)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
romnation wrote: As a side note, hopefully I didn't do any unseen damage to the shaft with my lack of mechanical ability while trying to force this together without the washer. Everything looks okay though.
Typically a nut would be the softer steel over any shaft it would thread on. Minimal damage should be found on the first thread inside the nut that was forced on the spline. Flip it around if it has trouble threading and forget about it, no harm done. You want a cogged belt if you can get one.

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7857&p=107674&hilit ... lt#p107674

Don't be like Chief and forget to torque the nut then it comes off during the test drive :lol: :lol: :lol:
We've had some fun over the years in here, you're not the first to make a mistake. Only youyou is perfect :D
Pfft. I wish. Almost every time I do something I mess up in some way.