Had anyone swapped a pre 18 125 for new one? I need a compar

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

marval
Year: 2019
Color: Red

Had anyone swapped a pre 18 125 for new one? I need a compar

Post by marval »

Now at a very extra mature age!! And after 50+ years in bikes and maxi scoots, I bought anew pcx last year. I have recalibrated my brain to suit and love the bike, I do like a lot of what they have done with the latest model but I have read several reviews and some say the extra 0.4 bhp makes a difference and also there is a suggestion that there is a bit more leg room. I love the lightweight feel of my bike so I don't really go heavier, but I do crave just a touch more go. Anybody??
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Color: red

Re: Had anyone swapped a pre 18 125 for new one? I need a co

Post by cnikonpete »

I can't compare old versus new, but I doubt you will notice any real difference.

I have had mine since the end of July,(2018 model) and I have reached 65 mph (gps figure) on the flat with no wind assistance, so I think if the road was long enough and I crouched down I would be able to achieve 67/70 mph.

From what I've read that is about the maximum of the older model. I am about 12 stone.

For leg room, I did sit on both the older model and the new at the showroom and they felt the same to me
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

There's no appreciable difference from one to the other in terms of performance, comfort or handling.
The differences are simply in the styling.
Nothing worth trading for imo.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Hi,

I had a 2015 and have now had a 2018 (2019 model) for a month or so.

2015 felt more nimble/easier to weave through traffic and faster from a standing start

2018 feels more powerfull when you get up around 50mph but doesn't feel as quick off the line

these changes are miniscule and may be totally psychological but top speed is def 6mph higher at 73mph (or speedo is more inaccurate?)
marval

Post by marval »

Thanks for your input Blazinby, would be nice to see another 10 mph on top speed over my 2017, I'm sure a new 150 would do the job, but alas there would be no market for it in the UK.
Givestrong
Year: 2018 V4
Color: Matt grey

Post by Givestrong »

I had a 2017 125, and i bought a 2018 125 new version.

I love the differences in tire width, the front is bigger and the rear is way bigger, so the bike is more confident on curves. (it looks better too !)

The design is better in my opinion, better tail light, nicer digital dashboard, etc... but the previous wasnt so bad.

I can confirm than stock, it's slower off the line, but it has more power at highest speeds, it reach 110 -115 kmh stock.
I changed the vario recently for a malossi, and the acceleration is way way better than stock, and maybe better than the 2017 with malossi too. Climbs very well.

Major change is ABS on front wheel, it works very well. No more front wheel lock on "panic braking"

The chassis is totally redesigned to be more rigid (underbone -> Duplex) , but i don't feel the change in handling, the last one was very good too.

The noise on the new one is more classy, no more transmission rattling.
The trunk is very slightly bigger

I do not regret the switch to the newer model.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

marval wrote:Thanks for your input Blazinby, would be nice to see another 10 mph on top speed over my 2017, I'm sure a new 150 would do the job, but alas there would be no market for it in the UK.
But there would be a market for a 200....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Oops, had forgot about the front ABS.
Definitely worth having.
Givestrong

Post by Givestrong »

Yes that was essentially the reason why i spend some more money to switch from my very joung 2017 model (5500km) to the 2018 !

I had like 5 or 6 front wheel lock ups in various situations with the 2017 (mostly panic braking)
I always managed to release the brake very fast and keep the bike on his wheels, maybe that's a reflex because i do a lot of downhill mountain bike..?

I live in Nice in south of France, very few rain but traffic is quite intense and streets are narrow, so there's a lot of opportunities to grab the brakes hard, i feel safer now with the ABS.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

You're lucky living in south of France, its beautiful country.
I've ridden my bike down to there from Scotland a few times.

Good choice spending the extra to get the ABS, its well worth having.
marval

Post by marval »

A 200 pcx would be perfect, I'll recommend the idea to Honda, however I fear I will have vacated this universe by then !!
marval

Post by marval »

You guys with the 2018s, can I assume that the ergonomic triangle ( arms, arse, legs) is identical. I'm sure I read somewhere that there was a bit more room?
Blazinby
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015 + 2018
Color: Black,Matt Grey

Post by Blazinby »

Hell yeah Gn2,

200 pcx sounds like a dream to me. 8)

Marval,

I actually feel a bit more cramped on the newer bike but perhaps I was just more familiar/relaxed on my 2015 I think they gained some storage by changing the seat contour.

(when I bought it I could fit a large Agrius Rage helmet under the seat; until I put my camera mount on and now it wont close).

I currently have to travel about 60 mile round trip to uni and I start to feel discomfort in my lower back nearing the end of my ride home.

This is not science just the opion of middle aged man moaning.

P.S. In case it matters I am just over 5' 9" or 176 cm tall. :)
Givestrong

Post by Givestrong »

Blazinby, i am the same tall and after buying the new bike, i actually feel a little bit more cramped, like you said.

The difference is very subtle, and hardly noticeable though.

The position on the PCX is the better i ever tried on a 125, vespas or SH125 are too straight, handlebar on the knees , S-wing or forzas are too long, feels more like a boat, the front wheel seems sooo far from you !
Pcx is quite a good mix between stability on mountain roads and agility in the city, it could the absolut perfect bike with the 279cm² motor of the SH300i !
bugaboo
Year: 2021
Color: Silver

Post by bugaboo »

I rode a 66 plate (2016) PCX for 2 years on the dot - since Feb 2017 to Feb 2019. My rides are pretty much every working day of the week - 23 mile return journey through London. I Upgraded to the new PCX last week.

* Better suspension & frame - the old one almost felt like the back wheel was disconnected from the chassis over bumps. The new one feels like a whole and handles better.
* The new one still lets you know of every imperfection in the road. Good & Bad at the same time. Might under-inflate the wheels juuuuuust a bit.
* Slower acceleration on the new one. Feels like a small restriction in the initial second, then picks up fine. Top end a little better and mid range is wonderful. The first oil change might change that.
* The old one had the slow (first, second, maybe third) acceleration rattle from the belt area. Almost everything would vibrate, especially the rear plate holder. The new one is smooth beyond words.
* Electronic dash is much nicer/neater and more accurate. The actual difference is around 3 miles / hour.
* The mirrors on the old bike were much better - Honda scrooged on the new ones. Thinner, smaller and cheaper feeling.
* The seat fabric on the old one was better - a small mesh imitation that looked and felt better. The new "leather" feels cheap in my opinion.
* Cornering is much better on the new bike - may just be new bike syndrome. I trust it more.
* New lights and passenger pegs look much better.
* Horn button on the new one is WAY too sensitive. I have Tucano Urbano muffs and I haven't indicated at all in a week. As soon as I TRY reaching for the indicators through the muffs, I honk immediately. Embarrassing. (Will open a new thread to pick your brains on this).
* The new design for the Tucano Urbano leg cover is much better - significantly less gaps in the curved area of the front guard and a better hooking system. Go for it if needed.
* Under seat storage a bit better organised on the new bike. Toolbox under the seat. (Will open a new thread for a crazy idea I have on this - stay tuned).
* Wheel rims on the new one look much smarter with the denser spikes.
* Engine is quieter and more refined on the new bike - could be new bike syndrome.
* Brakes significantly better on the new one - could be new bike syndrome.
* Please install heated grips if you can / live in a cold climate - absolute bliss.

All in all I am very happy with he new PCX. The service plan Honda introduced in the UK is godsend - £375 for 3 services. Individually they cost a fortune as valve clearance, for example, takes hours for dealer disassembly. Also, the new Honda bikes int he UK get a free installation of a tracker which costs around £10/month. I love it - can track the bike through an app and have 24/7 monitoring by a tracking team.

For a commuter like myself, the difference is staggering. A monthly train ticket and the privilege of sharing my commute with 1000s of hygienically questionable individuals costs £192. I never put more than £30 a month in petrol on my PCX, I can ride whenever I want, I have no concept of traffic and truthfully saying - I enjoy the solitude and the brain disconnect from everything else when I focus on the ride.

Times do get better and technology moves forward. If you can afford it - it's a no-brainier. Comfort is everything. If you can't afford it, don't stress - you're not looking at a game changer, just on something that's simply slightly better. Any age PCX will take you where you have to go if you take care of it.

Ride safe and be courteous to each other!
If you press the pedestrian crossing button, go on red anyway & make everyone wait in front of an open road - may you poo a random sized cactus everyday.
Oldie
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 19 SH300

Post by Oldie »

Have to agree on the mid-range pull, especially on hill climbs. Very strong.