New Variator

Drivetrain upgrades, engine upgrades, or any other mods to gain speed or acceleration.

Moderator: Modsquad

Nosubstance
Year: 2017
Color: White

New Variator

Post by Nosubstance »

I originally had planned on replacing my rollers but curious if I should instead go with a aftermarket variator? If so, which brand and reputable site to order from.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: New Variator

Post by Cube »

NCY is the one I see most recommended (and also the one I have waiting to be installed). Just do a search and you should get everything you need.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I don't know which country you reside in. It will make a difference. Please go into your profile and update your location so that we can give you answers tailored to your location. For instance, the NCY variator setup is hard to get, if not impossible, in some countries outside of the U.S.A.

Within the USA, this is the best place to get what you need (variator, drive face, 13 gram rollers) Yes, these 125cc parts fit the 150.

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... DPCX%20125
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Nosubstance

Post by Nosubstance »

I live in Reno, NV. USA.

My other question is should I also replace rear drive pulley with after market.

Thank you Mel
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Make one change at a time. Consider the variator, drive face and rollers as one item. I have been running that combination on my bikes for years now and am quite happy with it. My bikes now top out at 75 mph (GPS checked), and they take off quite fast. What more could you want from a little 150cc engine?

You could install a Big Bore Kit, but now you are moving into a different area of performance.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Nosubstance

Post by Nosubstance »

Thank you for the reply.

Winter time is coming and just financed a used 2015 KIA SOUL with 28885 miles with one owner at the time of purchase. So the Scooter is going into storage till next spring. It will give me time to save up for the kit. I have a new belt. Now I can buy my parts and not rely on my sister or friends for a ride when the Scooter is down for service. Bought the car on a spur of the moment as the wife was looking for a new car and I was curious to see if I could even be financed due crappy credit.

Mel does your scooter do 75 mph on the flat, and how fast uphill? Sadly where I live we have hills and steep grades. When I bought my scooter top speed was 68 and now does 59 on the flat. Real close to replacement time for belt as the bike has 12888 miles on the odometer. I was scared at 68 MPH. The bike was stable. I was not used to traveling that fast on a bike. It is amazing what that little 150cc engine can do.

-Leighton
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

The 75 mph reading is on a level road. We have a lot of hills here as well, so the biggest advantage comes when you have that extra power on hills and can keep up with the 55 mph traffic on a hill. We have a lot of streets and roads in which the speed limit is set to between 45 and 55 mph. Those streets and roads are also hilly.

Before I installed the NCY variator and drive face I could not keep up with traffic on the hills, and every time a car would honk his horn I would wish that I had more power. Now I have that reserve. Changing the rollers as well gives the bike a quicker start off of the light, which also helps if there is a hill coming up.

You can buy the items one at a time and store them away. Your checkbook won't feel it as much that way. That is what I did. The most expensive part is the variator itself at $56. The drive face is $29. (You won't get all of the advantages without changing this as well.) 13 gram rollers are $25. Like I said, One at a time. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Go get em tiger... Mel's right, you can't go wrong with these specific aftermarket vario parts from corsportusa
13 gram is the ticket, its been tried and tested.
Don't toss your stock parts, and we can help you install.

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18174-201 ... ulley.html

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18182-201 ... -face.html

https://www.corsportusa.com/i-18176-201 ... s-13g.html
Nosubstance

Post by Nosubstance »

Thank you all for the information. I plan on buying the whole kit, was listed for 319.99 plus shipping. Went to change the rollers and don't remember what size socket I needed 9mm or 8mm. For some reason my socket kit doesn't have that size. Swapping the parts won't be an issue. Won't be till next year or sooner just trying to work on my current debt and work in the new car payment. Would be nice to hit the freeway at 60-65 when heading to work instead of using the surface streets. Once I order the kit I will start with the variator.