Can't open seat anymore ...

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

supertevran
Year: 2015
Color: Grey

Can't open seat anymore ...

Post by supertevran »

Hi
Whilst working on the battery to remove/replace it, the seat fell down and is locked now. Due to no battery in the scooter i can't open it anymore. Is there a secret trick to release/open the seat again w/o a battery in place? If not - how to open anyway ... Thx.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: Can't open seat anymore ...

Post by cnikonpete »

Not sure if this will work,but you could try putting power in via 12v socket. Depends if battery has to be connected for the seat circuit to work. Worth a try,just connect two leads to 12v and a plug.

Good reminder for all of us to be careful though!!
supertevran

Post by supertevran »

Hi. Thx. for your quick reply. Maybe i'll connect my battery charger via the 12V socket in the glove compartement .... I'll give it a try right away ...

EDIT: By pure magic i was able to open the seat cover by just pressing the release button after shifting the key into the correct position! I don't know why and i don't know what happened - yesterday i tried the same and it did not work ... Puuh. What a relief. I'll put the battery back in now and never ever close the seat w/o it ....
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Just do it one more time to see if my idea works lol
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

The key should still work with a dead or removed battery to open the luggage box (please verify) I think you just panicked because it does seem that power is involved with the seat release. Imagine the failed engineering on Honda's part to have a battery that is not accessible when dead :lol:

Panic when you close the seat with your keys in the luggage box :o

supertevran

Post by supertevran »

Hi. Sorry. I won't do it again because the mechanic at my dealership told me there is no other way to release the switch manually then by taking the whole scooter bodywork apart .... ;-) I am so happy that, by pure magic, the seat came open again ... But i recommend you test it on your PCX .... haha - just joking ... Thx. for your assistance anyway!

@homie
I guess you are right. Maybe i just panicked ... But honestly speaking the plastic bodywork and the "serviceability" of this little machine is hilarious in my opinion. When you look at the official labour hours & cost involved for the regular 4k service intervals you pay the scooter 3 times in his lifetime ...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

supertevran wrote:Hi. Sorry. I won't do it again because the mechanic at my dealership told me there is no other way to release the switch manually then by taking the whole scooter bodywork apart .... ;-) I am so happy that, by pure magic, the seat came open again ... But i recommend you test it on your PCX .... haha - just joking ... Thx. for your assistance anyway!
Well since I have the backup if it dosent open without power I should be the one to put this to rest. GOOD POST! we both have the same year PCX too. A mission that furthers our collective knowledge of the beloved little scooter, I will get on this today :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Super,
Please do us a favor and go into your profile and add your general location. Also, please add the type of scooter you have. It use to be that we all knew it was a PCX because that was the only type on here. Now that it has expanded to include other Honda scooters, we have to guess. Thanks.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
supertevran

Post by supertevran »

@Mel46
In 2018 i had a total of 7 scooters (various Vespa, LML, Piaggio) plus 3 motorcycles (KTM, Benelli TnT) to maintain, ride ... way too much ;-) The PCX 125 which i originally bought for my daugthers, became my favourite scooter. It runs so smooth, silent, fuel efficient and comfortable - just amazing. I did 3.000 km trips on this little machine to Austria, Italy & Croatia w/o any hickups or problems. It's pure fun to ride. As you can see in my profile - i am an old man and i ride since i am 14 years old. Motorcycles of course but i am done with these. Happy scootering!
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Are we not talking about Honda PCX concerning the dead battery and luggage release switch? Let me know so's apple are not oranges. Thanks Mel for noticing he has multiple scoots. He dropped into my YT channel with the same issue today so most likely he's had trouble opening the luggage box without a battery. I'll go ahead an put the issue to rest for PCX with a test, don't know about Forza.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thanks supertevran
We have the answer and it's understandable given the slight travel of the seat release switch to come to the conclusion it's electronic. My best guess was your key was in the lock position on the ignition when you tried to access your dead battery under the seat yesterday. It's all good, no harm no foul.

Note to self, leave a spare key somewhere you can get to it for the day you lock your jacket it in the luggage box with the key in the pocket :lol: Oh it's coming!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The PCX and Forzas all have a fully mechanical seat and fuel flap release.
Electrical charge makes absolutely no difference, the only thing that matters is the position of the key.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Homie, the best place I have found to hide a spare key is behind the license plate.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Gn2, ahah! So is it just letting a spring release? Clever people these PCX people
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The release catches are operated by bowden cables.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

gn2 wrote:The release catches are operated by bowden cables.
GN is right as usual ;)
Attachments
cable.jpg
cable.jpg (178.95 KiB) Viewed 8958 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Mel46 wrote:Homie, the best place I have found to hide a spare key is behind the license plate.
My lost key plan involves an uber ride home :D
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

homie wrote:
Mel46 wrote:Homie, the best place I have found to hide a spare key is behind the license plate.
My lost key plan involves an uber ride home :D

Which one?
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Here, no rocket scientists, apparently...and again. Like, engineers making sure there's no access to
a dead battery?

This forum has been a pain in the arse.
Mister Paul
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014

Post by Mister Paul »

Mel46 wrote:Super,
Please do us a favor and go into your profile and add your general location. Also, please add the type of scooter you have. It use to be that we all knew it was a PCX because that was the only type on here. Now that it has expanded to include other Honda scooters, we have to guess. Thanks.
This thread is in the PCX area of the forum.