yearly call to arms...

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

yearly call to arms...

Post by homie »

Every now and then I promote what I think is an excellent way to get your flabby azz off the saddle and exercise a little. This year WhiteNoise will investigate the hobby. Very excited to see if he gets hooked or craps out :lol: It's not for everyone, doing the bend and reach can aggravate old injuries and unused muscles but if you can humble yourself and get over how you look its pretty fun. So here are today's motivational MD tutorial videos.

MD'ers have a whole new world of friends and enthusiast, and they share their daily experiences from around the world! Don't look if you don't need another monkey, very addictive stuff.

they play here -----> https://metaldetectingforum.com/

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: yearly call to arms...

Post by Old Grinner »

I see people who share this interest on the local beaches during the "off" season. I guess they look for all that lost ice cream and hot dog money and jewelry. :lol:
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Thats great hobby for sure. I have a metal detector and go out occasionally but its all about location, location, and sometimes location. Finding a location that is rich in history is hard without encumbrances like no trespassing etc. It can get tiring digging up flattened beer cans and bottle caps , but if you hit a good relic its pay dirt.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

That little collapsable MD I use now was made for the PCX storage box. The two go together like peanut butter and jelly.

Get em from Kellyco, best price, best service. Currently sold out unfortunately but maybe soon. https://www.kellycodetectors.com/catalo ... gJLgvD_BwE#
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

Somehow related: my brother has a small boat and we go out for fishing regularly. Fed up of having our fishing geared tangled up in whatever crap people throw in the water we decided to buy some neodynium magnets which can hold up to 200 kg - attach them to a rope and just throw it in the water where we normally would go fishing.

Over the past year we have caught some amazing finds such as locked iron safes (nothing inside though), a plastic bag filled with jewelry, lots of ammunition (mostly bullets which were not fired yet). We also found 3 old bombs, probably from WW2 (we checked archives and apparently there was a bombing raid over the area were we always go fishing) but we decided to just put them back in the water - we did not want to get the army demining squad and police to come and ask us questions and waste our time. Old unexploded bombs are something that occur regularly in Belgium, especially in West-Flanders around Ieper (Ypres - those ar mainly from WW1) where farmers unearth them when they farm their lands - they place them at the side of the fields and every week or so the army comes by to explode them in a controlled fashion - crazy how these things are still buried, unexploded, all over the place here.

Other finds: boat keels, anchors, refrigerators, bicycles (over 100 by now), motorcycles (mostly stripped down with only the frame remaining), hammers and other tools like wrenches, old railway tracks... Oh and lots of nails :)
We bring all of the old metal to this guy who buys up old iron - so far the counter is at around ~11 000 kg in just 3 years. The cool things like anchors or other fancy stuff we either keep or put them up on online marketplaces.

Great hobby and a good way to keep us busy when we don't catch any regular fish - and at the same time we keep the canal/port and rivers clean :).
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ganglylamb wrote:Somehow related: my brother has a small boat and we go out for fishing regularly. Fed up of having our fishing geared tangled up in whatever crap people throw in the water we decided to buy some neodynium magnets which can hold up to 200 kg - attach them to a rope and just throw it in the water where we normally would go fishing.

Over the past year we have caught some amazing finds such as locked iron safes (nothing inside though), a plastic bag filled with jewelry, lots of ammunition (mostly bullets which were not fired yet). We also found 3 old bombs, probably from WW2 (we checked archives and apparently there was a bombing raid over the area were we always go fishing) but we decided to just put them back in the water - we did not want to get the army demining squad and police to come and ask us questions and waste our time. Old unexploded bombs are something that occur regularly in Belgium, especially in West-Flanders around Ieper (Ypres - those ar mainly from WW1) where farmers unearth them when they farm their lands - they place them at the side of the fields and every week or so the army comes by to explode them in a controlled fashion - crazy how these things are still buried, unexploded, all over the place here.

Other finds: boat keels, anchors, refrigerators, bicycles (over 100 by now), motorcycles (mostly stripped down with only the frame remaining), hammers and other tools like wrenches, old railway tracks... Oh and lots of nails :)
We bring all of the old metal to this guy who buys up old iron - so far the counter is at around ~11 000 kg in just 3 years. The cool things like anchors or other fancy stuff we either keep or put them up on online marketplaces.

Great hobby and a good way to keep us busy when we don't catch any regular fish - and at the same time we keep the canal/port and rivers clean :).

Magnet fishing is hilarious. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Oh yea please don't dig large iron signals from the earth in certain parts of the world or you might go KABOOM! I would be surprised if these idiots are still alive. As for magnet fishing? I don't think that's for me :lol: KABOOM!

homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Nope, nope, NO !!!
magnet fishing... i'm out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkzIfRN02fE
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Tons of YT videos about WWII relics and leftovers on the "Eastern Front" too. All these years later and the stuff is still lying scattered around. . .some just buried in place. o_O
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

homie, are we really the only ones interested in "the Finds?" Have we no other Go Find the stash folk on these here forums? Wowie wow!
Well then...thats good news! More for Us! :D

I just gotta get tuit! (to it)

More later.....

@ Ganglylamb, that was an awesome read. Who woulda thunk of such a thang? Magnet Friggin' Fishin'! Holy Smoker's! That's the Bomb! :D
Safe??? :roll:
But still Cool Dude!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

WhiteNoise wrote:homie, are we really the only ones interested in "the Finds?" Have we no other Go Find the stash folk on these here forums? Wowie wow!
Well then...thats good news! More for Us! :D

I just gotta get tuit! (to it)

More later.....

@ Ganglylamb, that was an awesome read. Who woulda thunk of such a thang? Magnet Friggin' Fishin'! Holy Smoker's! That's the Bomb! :D
Safe??? :roll:
But still Cool Dude!

It's safer if you wear flouro of course....
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ expected you! Right on cue! :lol:
Even whilst metal detecting? Heehee, Must be seen swifting grass and sloshing thru the muc n mire over hill n dale.
Hmm why? :roll:
Watch out!! Sink holes, n traps over hollow ground may swallow Me Fluorescent arse up! Should I be missed I might be found? Good enuff!

(Reminder to self: ask Mel about lighting for hi-viz vest)
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Here ya go boys rosin up your metal detectors and don your hiking boots ...the grand-daddy score.
https://www.nsa.gov/news-features/decla ... 656765.pdf
dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

I did a little metal detecting years ago. Then I starting geocacheing, too.
Now, I don't get around too well and gave both of them up.
Good luck on your finds!!
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Aw Dave that's sad, sorry to read that. Never heard of geocaching so I looked that up. That sounds like a very interesting hobby. Cool! Fun! Will you share some of yer finds with us?
Everyone should have a hobby, can you enjoy another perhaps?

Lookie what arrived this morn from Amazon...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (199.97 KiB) Viewed 622 times
homie....I took your advice! ;)
Ya think these Bamboo Gloves will be grippy enuff for digging and grabbing objects? Should protect me too from sharp and rusted finds (bottle caps :lol: )

I've yet to get "out there" :x so much going on the home front.
I've started fall chores. Ripping off old lattice, replacing with vinyl lattice after staining the wood behind it. Garage door painted next, hopefully. Arg, I wish it were Spring. Scoot sits in garage blocked by obstacles. Crap!

I Will Metal hunt, I Will Ride. I Will.
B4 Winter