don't trust your "right of way" to save your day

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

don't trust your "right of way" to save your day

Post by flyingzonker »

This morning I was out on my Burgman 400--my beloved PCX is laid up with a bent brake rotor (never, never, never, use a disc lock unless you park your bike in such a way that you have to back it up before you can pull away...this is the second time I am learning this...). To resume: I was out on my Burgman 400 this morning. I came to a 4 way stop that I use all the time. I don't really like 4 way stops, and certainly not this one, having been ignored at least once before here when I was on the PCX...some character (supply your own epithet) on my right sailed right through without even stopping. As luck would have it I was in no hurry and so had not started to twist the throttle. This morning it was a little different. I halted fully at the sign. A moment later a gray SUV stopped to my right. I started out into the intersection and exactly then the SUV did the same. I grabbed my brakes hard and stopped short of ramming him. He (could have been a she) kept going. I sat in the middle of the intersection looking after this person in a state of stunned chagrin (which is a nice way of saying "furious hatred"). Just as I started up again I noticed that the SUV had stopped at the other side of the intersection. By then I was on my way and did not want to have to pull over and deal with what would have probably developed into (at best) a lecture on my part and who knows what on his/hers. Besides, the Burgman is harder to handle by far than the PCX and when I get it rolling I like to keep it rolling.

After this close encounter I rode around a while doing errands but I noticed I was on "Hyperalert" when I came to any stop signs. That is how it should be all the time. But we forget.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: don't trust your "right of way" to save your day

Post by Cube »

Sounds like last night for me, and I was in my 4 wheeled Honda! Cali stops, stops halfway into the intersection... it was nice having 4200 pounds of Honda (and a nice horn) rather than my usual 300-550.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

You were first and surely had the right of way, however I have found that the best approach to stop signs is always to be last to leave if possible unless you are waived on by the other driver.Its always best to make eye to eye contact ...we cannot take a chance on getting it wrong. Even if we are right we are wrong..and possibly dead wrong !especially with distracted drivers on a phone or in a hurry to pick up the kids , start dinner, or make the soccer game..all bad ju ju for a biker.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

It's happening all over the planet. Don't take it too harshly. There is an endless supply of negative waves and those who surf the negative waves. o_O

The upside to it is eventually their foolish behavior will catch up with them and one can only hope their demise doesn't effect some innocent person along the way. ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

This morning I was out on my PCX, which doesn't weight enough to compete for space against a SUV. I was sitting at a 4 way light, getting ready to turn left. The green arrow came on, I flipped my visor down, getting ready to go, the car behind me impatiently beeped his horn... and an SUV went through the intersection at 50 mph! Had I been ready to go already, and had I progressed ahead immediately after the horn blew behind me, I would Be dead.

Yes, they are everywhere. Impatient a#$holes who feel that they have more rights than others around them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

in june i was driving my bus route at work i drive a 40 foot bus that weighs 15 ton a lady blew through a stop sign and crashed into the front of my bus. She ended up in the passenger seat unconcious and the cell phone she was talking on flew out the window and landed 20 yards away. Her chevy aveo was destroyed but she woke up and walked to the ambulance
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Disc locks should always be used in conjunction with a curly reminder cord on the front brake/throttle.

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

This morning I was out on my PCX, which doesn't weight enough to compete for space against a SUV. I was sitting at a 4 way light, getting ready to turn left. The green arrow came on, I flipped my visor down, getting ready to go, the car behind me impatiently beeped his horn... and an SUV went through the intersection at 50 mph! Had I been ready to go already, and had I progressed ahead immediately after the horn blew behind me, I would Be dead.
Glad you are still alive to tell us that story Mel! o_O

My rule of thumb at traffic lights is "Green just means it's Legal to go. . .not necessarily OK".

Another thing is you have to be alert for bicycle riders, joggers, dog walkers, roller skaters, skate boarders, and the like going up the shoulder of the road against traffic. Which means you've basically got to cover all points on the compass whenever you proceed through an intersection. I've actually seen police officers stop adult bicycle riders who were just going through intersections without slowing down or stopping and absolutely should have known better. Bicycles are considered vehicles in their own right and do need to be operated in conjunction with the rules of the road. . .. :roll:

I think all elementary schools should have a special class in pedestrian rules of the road so when these kids grow up they have a more uniform view of personal survival whether it be on foot or wheel. :geek:
Disc locks should always be used in conjunction with a curly reminder cord on the front brake/throttle.
Very good point! Right up there with making sure the side stand or center stand is planted on a good firm surface (asphalt gets soft on really hot sunny days). :D
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Speaking of teaching kids the rules of the road, these teens that buy and operate a 50cc scooter on the public roads should be mandated to take a class before they get on the road with them. I have even seen them using a bicycle helmet instead of a motorcycle helmet. The whole concept of letting those things on public roads is irresponsible.

They do not have to have an operators license of any sort, nor insurance, or a license plate on the vehicle. We have had incidents here where the kid on the scooter ended up dead but it took too many hours for their parents to be located because they had no form of id on them when they were hit.

If we who are on motorcycle like vehicles can be hit, so can they. The difference is experience and training, which may save our life but not theirs.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Personally I dislike disc brake locks (with or w/o a siren). I feel they'd do more harm then good, to myself or bike (perhaps both). I don't like bright colored leads either. Afterall it will draw attention to other folk's eyes too, Not just mine!
My Red "Grip Lock" is an attention getter. WN sez, "That's enough with the Brightness!" :D

But for those who appreciate disc locks, and many do, do as gn2 posted, add an inexpensive "Bright" coiled (or straight) lead from the disc lock to your throttle's bar grip (area). It's hi-viz flavor will draw your attention/reminding you that "it's there and activated," and that it will need "de-activating" Before you even think to roll away. Weeeeeeeeee.....
(Phew! Wiping brow)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

On "right of way"
The other day I took my Ridgeline to the nursing home. Outside my community is a residential area with a number of 4way crossings. Some with stop signs, and not always for all of us. The Law staggers them. Some for me some for opposing sides...how generous :D
Anywho, I drive these roads slowly and often - always on-guard for those running their stop sign. Sure enough, that day was the day and I was Soo ready!
At the crossing to my left, a women in an Odessey or similar blows her stop sign and starts entering my path (I did not have a stop sign). She sees me, and hits the brake. I stopped directly in front of her. Looked hard at her and raised my hand in the air (like "Stop!") then I moved onward. So did she.

She, like so many other driver's are oblivious! She thinks the road(s) are "all hers!"
Hel-lo! Not the case! Not ta-day! Not ta-male!

Yeah, I know, she'll ...do...it...again
Geez!
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Of course you are right about her, but part of the blame goes to the local traffic engineer. When you stagger the stops it confuses people and they remember the last one where as the other driver had the stop so not being particularly mindful she proceeds as if its a four way stop. Many years ago when I studied traffic engineering course the main ingredient when it came to designing highways, arterials, and locals, you always endeavored to keep things consistent. Not always possible due to R/W constraints etc etc but that was always the intent. Once you mix up designs of egress and ingress to and from roadways it confuses people for some reason. Thats why inter state highways pretty much have the same exit and on ramps the same way.. Keep it consistent and less traffic accidents..when they altered the stops in your situation they in essence could have confused her as she was thinking the other one >> Hope that makes sense.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:
Glad you are still alive to tell us that story Mel! o_O

My rule of thumb at traffic lights is "Green just means it's Legal to go. . .not necessarily OK".

Another thing is you have to be alert for bicycle riders, joggers, dog walkers, roller skaters, skate boarders, and the like going up the shoulder of the road against traffic. Which means you've basically got to cover all points on the compass whenever you proceed through an intersection. I've actually seen police officers stop adult bicycle riders who were just going through intersections without slowing down or stopping and absolutely should have known better. Bicycles are considered vehicles in their own right and do need to be operated in conjunction with the rules of the road. . .. :roll:

I think all elementary schools should have a special class in pedestrian rules of the road so when these kids grow up they have a more uniform view of personal survival whether it be on foot or wheel. :geek:
Very good point! Right up there with making sure the side stand or center stand is planted on a good firm surface (asphalt gets soft on really hot sunny days). :D
And you’ve put your big boys pants on this morning along with your undies.

Never lick electricity.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

As much as we make fun of some of these discussions, there is always that undercurrent of truth. We are on less protected vehicles than those who are driving around in their 'tanks', and the larger the vehicle the less attentive the driver seems to be. It should not be up to us to watch out for their inattention, but it is. That is just a fact that will not go away.

Even adding new laws to help protect us on the roads, such as the new hands free calling requirement, does nothing for us if the driver does not obey the law. Always, but ALWAYS, be observant and aware. If you think the other driver might do something foolish, believe that he will because chances are, he will.

As stated before complacency kills.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:As much as we make fun of some of these discussions, there is always that undercurrent of truth. We are on less protected vehicles than those who are driving around in their 'tanks', and the larger the vehicle the less attentive the driver seems to be. It should not be up to us to watch out for their inattention, but it is. That is just a fact that will not go away.

Even adding new laws to help protect us on the roads, such as the new hands free calling requirement, does nothing for us if the driver does not obey the law. Always, but ALWAYS, be observant and aware. If you think the other driver might do something foolish, believe that he will because chances are, he will.

As stated before complacency kills.
Complacency has never killed a single person.
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

you you wrote:Complacency has never killed a single person.
Maybe not, but it is the enemy of safety and the enabler of darkest deeds.

https://simplifiedsafety.com/blog/compl ... rst-enemy/

"Complacency is ever the enabler of darkest deeds”
― Robert Fanney

:lol:
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I think Steve Irwin believed that complacency leads to trouble when you are dealing with dangerous things. Something I remembered from one of his episodes. A bit of wisdom he said his Father passed on to him. Between 10 and 20 seconds into the video he explains. . ..

So it's the act of being complacent. . .not complacency itself that can lead to injury or worse. :geek:

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:
I think Steve Irwin believed that complacency leads to trouble when you are dealing with dangerous things. Something I remembered from one of his episodes. A bit of wisdom he said his Father passed on to him. Between 10 and 20 seconds into the video he explains. . ..

So it's the act of being complacent. . .not complacency itself that can lead to injury or worse. :geek:

What an absolute idiot.

Complacency and stupidity never killed anyone, ask them if you ever meet them :roll: . Complacent and stupid human beings are something else.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

...and so it is. Complacency doesn't kill, but try to explain that to these guys.
Complacency.jpg
Complacency.jpg (55.84 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

easyrider wrote:You were first and surely had the right of way, however I have found that the best approach to stop signs is always to be last to leave if possible unless you are waived on by the other driver.Its always best to make eye to eye contact ...we cannot take a chance on getting it wrong. Even if we are right we are wrong..and possibly dead wrong !especially with distracted drivers on a phone or in a hurry to pick up the kids , start dinner, or make the soccer game..all bad ju ju for a biker.
Right. I often gesture to people at 4 ways to go ahead regardless of right-of-way. I will be doing more of than from now on.