twisted crank shaft

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Kevrow
Year: 2016
Color: White

twisted crank shaft

Post by Kevrow »

Monring,

So i have some major promlem with my 2015 Honda PCX 125

driving along...small lock up on the back wheel, then realesed....wouldnt even turn over to start.......get it home turns over doesnt start....striped it down....piston has disintegrated and crank arm has twisted.

Now i know a little, enough to know that this is not good and somewhere its over heated, seized the piston, braking the piston and arm. My question is do i buy a new engine or do i try to replace arm piston etc??

thansk
Kevin
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: twisted crank shaft

Post by Mel46 »

That is obviously going to depend on what internal damage has been done to the engine. Do you have any idea why it did this? For example, was the oil low or was there another reason that oil didn't get to the engine?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kevrow wrote:Monring,

So i have some major promlem with my 2015 Honda PCX 125

driving along...small lock up on the back wheel, then realesed....wouldnt even turn over to start.......get it home turns over doesnt start....striped it down....piston has disintegrated and crank arm has twisted.

Now i know a little, enough to know that this is not good and somewhere its over heated, seized the piston, braking the piston and arm. My question is do i buy a new engine or do i try to replace arm piston etc??

thansk
Kevin

If the piston and conrod are goosed then a second hand engine/gearbox unit would be the easiest and cheapest fix.

What mods had you done and/or when was the last time you checked the oil level?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Used power plant, new oil, new coolant, new belt, new fasteners & new misc stuff broken in the rebuild ....... nah me gets a new or used scoot and step up on me maintenance.
Kevrow
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Kevrow »

I not 100% sure of the cause but i really think it was low on oil, at this point i would think that half the piston is now in the engine somewhere. In addition to this the force needed to smash the piston into pieces and also bend the cam rod would have had some internal pressures on the rest of the gear box.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

you you wrote: If the piston and conrod are goosed then a second hand engine/gearbox unit would be the easiest and cheapest fix.
Go with what you you said.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Pcx's use/loose oil, doing 5000-10000km between oil changes is not recommended or at least check your dipstick every 1000km and top up oil. Not saying Kevrow anything about you here but just in general for everybody to be cautious of...
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Kevrow wrote:I not 100% sure o of the cause but i really think it was low on oil, at this point i would think that half the piston is now in the engine somewhere. In addition to this the force needed to smash the piston into pieces and also bend the cam rod would have had some internal pressures on the rest of the gear box.

There is no gearbox on these bikes