Mod my horn for easier reach

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Re: Mod my horn for easier reach

Post by dgnyberg »

A transistor can also be used as an alternative to a relay.
The low current would be applied to the base of the transistor
and the higher current device would be connected through the Emitter/Collector pins.
All Grounds would be common in this case.
Just another option.
Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Pearl White

Re: Mod my horn for easier reach

Post by Brando »

Mel46 wrote:Brando,
I don't think there is enough current going through the original wires, PLUS I am not certain that the little original wires can handle more current. Many horn manufacturers are assuming that you are installing their devices in a car, which has much thicker wires than a scooter.

I know that my air horn did not sound very loud with the original wires because the compressor for the air horn took a lot of current to spin it up in a short time. I don't think the wire gauge used for the original horn is any greater than 22 gauge. A horn needs 16 to 18 gauge to keep it from burning up the wire eventually.

A relay allows smaller gauge wire to "Close the bridge" so-to-speak, so that the full current needed for the horn flows to it through larger wires. There are instructions that come with relays that tell you how to connect them.

Here is the simple instruction:
There are 4 wire positions on the relay. Some have 5 but you ignore the 5th. (87a)
Two wires run the "bridge". They come from your original horn. (30 and 87)
The other two carry the main power load to the NEW horn itself. (85 and 86)
Run a black wire from the NEW horn to the '-' on the battery.
Run a red wire from the NEW horn to the '+' on the battery BUT DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE BATTERY YET.
Cut that red wire where it will be able to be connected to the relay. (85)
Now attach the the other end of the cut red wire to the relay. (86)
Now you can attach the end of the red lead to the battery.
Nothing should happen until there is power to your original horn. When it normally gets power your new horn will blow instead.

Sorry for the long write-up. Now you know how to connect a BIG horn to your little bike.
Thanks, Mel46. Not a long write-up at all. I appreciate you sharing your knowledge. It all makes sense to me or at least I am glad to be aware of these things before I proceed. The horn is specifically for replacement of OEM horns on motorcycles and not cars. That is confirmed. There is also a YouTube video of a rider installing one here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faiwdmJdypg
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk