Mod my horn for easier reach

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: Mod my horn for easier reach

Post by homie »

Could not find a pressure switch but I find this at the hardware store. Not ideal over the above idea but still has a more natural access then thumbing across the handlebars for the horn when you need it.

Thanks for the fun today, now what can we do for kicks and giggles on my channel?

Brando
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018

Post by Brando »

homie wrote:Could not find a pressure switch but I find this at the hardware store. Not ideal over the above idea but still has a more natural access then thumbing across the handlebars for the horn when you need it.

Thanks for the fun today, now what can we do for kicks and giggles on my channel?

Fact is, when you're on a scooter or motorcycle, people in cars don't readily see you and you need quick access to your horn. This is still a great idea.
Current Rides: 2018 Honda PCX 150 and 2018 KTM Duke 390
Previous Rides: KTM 690 SMR, Suzuki SV650, '79 Honda CB400 Hawk
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'm still intrigued by the idea of a foot pedal switch, possibly running a serious horn. You have the "road runner" sound if you can find the switch, and the serious attention getter if needed. I don't think it would take that long to get used to where the switch was so that you could find it when you needed it.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Brando wrote:Fact is, when you're on a scooter or motorcycle, people in cars don't readily see you and you need quick access to your horn. This is still a great idea.
And if you press your horn they still won't see you.
Sound bounces around, the direction of the source is rarely obvious.
If you startle a moron they might do something you don't expect.
If you piss a moron off they might do something really stupid.
Don't use the horn, use your brain instead ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Brando
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Brando »

gn2 wrote:
Brando wrote:Fact is, when you're on a scooter or motorcycle, people in cars don't readily see you and you need quick access to your horn. This is still a great idea.
And if you press your horn they still won't see you.
Sound bounces around, the direction of the source is rarely obvious.
If you startle a moron they might do something you don't expect.
If you piss a moron off they might do something really stupid.
Don't use the horn, use your brain instead ;)
Hi gn2, all your points are well taken. There is always a possibility those things can happen. These are addressed in the California Driver Handbook Safe Driving Practices. BTW, the Handbook also says use your horn only when necessary, to avoid collisions and to try to get “eye contact” with other drivers, to alert drivers when they might turn in front of you and cause a collision. All the “Do’s and Don’t’s” are in there. I know because I’m helping my 15 year old nephew study to get his driver’s permit.

Years ago in my first motorcycle safety class, they instilled in us to always use “SIPDE” — Scan, Identify, Predict, Decide, Execute. I ride with this rule running in my head at all times; it has saved my ass. Yup, those 5 things done in a split second!

You can use your horn AND your brain. :D
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Used my horn early yesterday evening on a guy in a huge SUV leaving a golf course. He was just entering the shoulder of the road coming out of the parking lot when I realized he isn't going to stop. Hence, I beeped and he stopped abruptly. :roll:

Then I looked at him and the passenger as I passed by safely and pointed to my eyes and pointed ahead because there was a jogger coming on his side of the road who he could possibly hit if he just pulled out with disregard after I went by. . .. I wasn't sure of his condition. He seemed to think I was just waving or something. . .he waved back and then just pulled out after I went by. Fortunately the jogger hadn't quite crossed his path yet.

There's a lot of joggers and bicycle riders in my area and drivers need to cut them slack and be vigilant looking out for them.

That said I've seen signs up in MA stating "Single File" for bicycle riders which is a good thing. Still I see people riding side by side and honestly they are only asking for trouble from people with poor eyesight or under the influence. . .. :geek:
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Could not find a pressure switch but I find this at the hardware store. Not ideal over the above idea but still has a more natural access then thumbing across the handlebars for the horn when you need it.

Nice job on that invention/video!

Opens up a whole new dimension of thought on the subject. Wow. . ..

Sort of combines the braking and horn all in one. . .. One reach - Two options.

Would be interesting to try that device on a test track. Just use the index finger for the horn when needed (appropriate tension on the horn button so as not to actuate the brake) or go for the grand slam emergency all hands on deck fistful of brake and horn.

Definitely worth a thought. . .. 8)

Move the index finger up and over to hook the horn actuator vs Move the thumb over and down to depress the horn actuator.

Possibly grab the brake and horn all in one sweep vs Hit the horn button and reach for the brake if needed extending digits in two different directions.

Having the horn actuator mounted in conjunction with the brake lever attachment may offer a tactile comfort level of familiarity that would leave no doubt as to "where it is". Maybe have it work in either direction - push or pull?

Time for another coffee or two . . .. :D
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Hey I like the little switch (3m'ed) to the lever! You're already on the brake in the heat of the moment where you should be. Index finger is better than reaching across with thumb. Now I just need to wire it so the OEM horn button still works which means going right down the column to the horn itself and getting between the connection I think, not sure... anybody have an electrical plan for me. Sometimes my brain shorts out when plotting electrical stuff.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Homie,

I found this among the many files I have collected from this forum over the years. I hope it helps you.
PCX LED-small.jpg
PCX LED-small.jpg (331.35 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I love threads like this!!
Good for you homie!! Bingo! Idea achieved and presented - Fast!!
We're using noggin's to figure n sort things out! BeepBeep! 8)

I might be way off base with this Wireless idea but here goes...how about something like this?
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools ... 0301008005
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 968 times
I am not an electrician, but I dabble. Maybe it'll stir up thought?

If so...Bring it On Hooligan's!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (140.94 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I'm thinking of just wiring the horn in live with the switch just there to turn it off.

It's the only way to be safe.

Well that and painting myself like a banana and covering myself with xmas tree lights obviously.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I'm thinking of just wiring the horn in live with the switch just there to turn it off.

Well that and painting myself like a banana and covering myself with xmas tree lights obviously.
Hook up a loud speaker that repeats a recording every few seconds in conjunction with the horn saying "YOU JUST WON!". That will make them look. . .. :lol:
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Old Grinner wrote:

Hook up a loud speaker that repeats a recording every few seconds in conjunction with the horn saying "YOU JUST WON!". That will make them look. . .. :lol:

:D :D “have you been mis-sold PPI?” would keep them away across here...
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Thank you Mel, that was very helpful :D

all bundled up for the ages and relocated here

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=9058
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Brando,
That horn that you are interested is a mini air horn. As such, it will require a relay to operate it because the current going to your factory installed horn is not enough to activate that horn.

As far as it fitting on your bike, there is plenty of room behind the front panels, but it would require that you remove almost all of your panels in order to secure it.

That is why I put mine under the dash cover. I just popped the cover off and stuffed it in the hollow space, letting the connected wires fall down the fork neck. I pulled off the gas cap plastic cover (it took me about one minute) and gabbed the wires.

I used a long tie wrap to secure the relay to the frame, and used the wires to the default horn (within reach on the left side after removing that center cover) to run the relay, and hooked the horn hot wires directly to the battery.

That horn should do a good job. The one you are interested in is 113 db. My Bad Boy Horn is 123.5 db. Close enough. :-)
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

dgnyberg
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by dgnyberg »

tomtomclub2005 wrote:That thing in the middle of the handlebar sounds like a really bad idea. I usually find i want to horn at the same time as breaking hard because some idiot is doing a foolish thing in front of me- no way i would loosen my grip on the brakes even for a fraction of a second in that case. I agree with OP that the horn switch is badly located - even without arthitis...
The horn in the middle of the handlebars is actuated by your forehead. LOL!!!
Color: red

Post by affeno »

Hello Brando you can this from aliexpress it works very good and easy to reach but it is not waterproof so I put in same vaseline https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATV-Hor ... 4c4dJYD0A1
Attachments
RIMG0983-640x640.JPG
RIMG0983-640x640.JPG (75.71 KiB) Viewed 932 times
Brando
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Brando »

Mel46 wrote:Brando,
That horn that you are interested is a mini air horn. As such, it will require a relay to operate it because the current going to your factory installed horn is not enough to activate that horn.

As far as it fitting on your bike, there is plenty of room behind the front panels, but it would require that you remove almost all of your panels in order to secure it.

That is why I put mine under the dash cover. I just popped the cover off and stuffed it in the hollow space, letting the connected wires fall down the fork neck. I pulled off the gas cap plastic cover (it took me about one minute) and gabbed the wires.

I used a long tie wrap to secure the relay to the frame, and used the wires to the default horn (within reach on the left side after removing that center cover) to run the relay, and hooked the horn hot wires directly to the battery.

That horn should do a good job. The one you are interested in is 113 db. My Bad Boy Horn is 123.5 db. Close enough. :-)
Hi Mel46, thanks for this info. I was curious about the need for a relay so I went online and found the installation instructions. It says this:
"To wire the horn, simply take the
negative and positive leads from the OEM
horn and connect them to the terminals on
the back side of the SoundBomb Mini."
Brando
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Brando »

affeno wrote:Hello Brando you can this from aliexpress it works very good and easy to reach but it is not waterproof so I put in same vaseline https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ATV-Hor ... 4c4dJYD0A1
I'm so thankful for all the great ideas and options suggested. I appreciate it so much!!! :D
Checking this out right now.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Brando,
I don't think there is enough current going through the original wires, PLUS I am not certain that the little original wires can handle more current. Many horn manufacturers are assuming that you are installing their devices in a car, which has much thicker wires than a scooter.

I know that my air horn did not sound very loud with the original wires because the compressor for the air horn took a lot of current to spin it up in a short time. I don't think the wire gauge used for the original horn is any greater than 22 gauge. A horn needs 16 to 18 gauge to keep it from burning up the wire eventually.

A relay allows smaller gauge wire to "Close the bridge" so-to-speak, so that the full current needed for the horn flows to it through larger wires. There are instructions that come with relays that tell you how to connect them.

Here is the simple instruction:
There are 4 wire positions on the relay. Some have 5 but you ignore the 5th. (87a)
Two wires run the "bridge". They come from your original horn. (30 and 87)
The other two carry the main power load to the NEW horn itself. (85 and 86)
Run a black wire from the NEW horn to the '-' on the battery.
Run a red wire from the NEW horn to the '+' on the battery BUT DO NOT CONNECT IT TO THE BATTERY YET.
Cut that red wire where it will be able to be connected to the relay. (85)
Now attach the the other end of the cut red wire to the relay. (86)
Now you can attach the end of the red lead to the battery.
Nothing should happen until there is power to your original horn. When it normally gets power your new horn will blow instead.

Sorry for the long write-up. Now you know how to connect a BIG horn to your little bike.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150