More observations on 2018 pcx 125 Starter Circuit

Maintenance, guides, and walkthroughs for your PCX. Please do not post questions about repairing or fixing your bike here.

Moderator: Modsquad

cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

More observations on 2018 pcx 125 Starter Circuit

Post by cnikonpete »

In case anyone needs to know I have done a little test to confirm how the brake lever affects start procedure,firstly it only works on rear brake lever,secondly there are two distinct phases of the lever,when pulled initially the brake light comes on,pull harder and the start circuit is made.
I did this by holding the start button in,and then gradually pulling the brake lever and kept an eye on when the brake light came on, I found I had to pull past this position to activate the starter.

This all started because on three or four occasions, the starter stayed ominously quiet when the start button was pushed.

Looking through various posts on here, I found that various years seem to vary with some having front brake as well as rear being able to be used. Others where either one click or two clicks at the lever could be heard. And finally where the brake light switch and safety switch seemed to be combined. I can only conclude that Honda decide to change the system according to which market the bike is going to,or more likely whenever they felt like it.

I think this check is worthwhile before you have problems,then you will know what does or doesn't apply to your ride. :roll:
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: More observations on 2018 pcx 125 Starter Circuit

Post by iceman »

The UK, perhaps european PCX, seems to only have the rear brake lever in circuit for start-up, there is no switch fitted to the front brake for that purpose. US models, at least, appear to have both wired up. Perhaps older UK models differed in this aspect?
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

It is a bit confusing,Asian models can have alarms fitted,the only workshop manual supplier seems to be in the USA,(coming out this month for 2018 model apparently),and I think US models can have a parking brake on the rear brake lever, I suppose Honda dealers get specific information on their market direct from Honda.
I also find it strange that, although the PCX tops the sales charts in the UK,Haynes have not made a manual available,not that I have found their recent manuals much good.
Anyway,I hope somebody will find the information useful.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

The service manual costs about £40, that's if people don't acquire one in other ways. Not much is it. I originally bought the official Honda service manuals (the led one was in two parts in the UK) before acquiring other copies that lend themselves to browsing anywhere.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cnikonpete »

Was that from Honda direct?

When and if it is available for mine (2018 v3) I will definitely buy one if it is available in the uk

The only ones I've seen have been by Helm.inc and Cyclopedia,both from USA,.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

cnikonpete wrote:Was that from Honda direct?
When and if it is available for mine (2018 v3) I will definitely buy one if it is available in the uk
The only ones I've seen have been by Helm.inc and Cyclopedia,both from USA,.
Some UK dealers sell them, although it may be a bit early for the latest model. Try David silver spares or Dobles. Helm Inc. charge rediculous money for shipping, and they are not the UK spec manual anyway.