Low side crash at 10mph. Anything major to worry about?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romnation
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: Black

Low side crash at 10mph. Anything major to worry about?

Post by romnation »

Sorry guys, I gotta add to the list here...

So I was making a turn in a park at a very slow speed, around 10mph. I saw a little gravel and slowed down appropriately. What I didn't see is the thick sand under the gravel. As such I crashed while making a turn and slid the right side of the bike. Nothing wrong with me except a minuscule scratch on my leg.

As for the bike, do I have anything to worry about besides replacing fairings and plastic parts? Is there any way a crash such as this could have caused any frame damage? Here are some pics and list of damaged parts (that I can see)

Right Side floor step
Right side foot peg
Muffler cover
Plastic cover where the ignition/seat switch is. (this seperated during the crash and I managed to break it more trying to force it back in)
Front right plastic fairing
Bottom right fairing under footwell
Front right mirror.

I'm reasonably confident I can make these repairs myself. One of the things that concerns me is how the plastic separated near the speedometer in the pics. I can't get it to clip back in fully but I think it may just be that the top clip got bent, as it feels a little bent. Can't really tell without tearing apart the bike and I'd rather wait until my parts arrive to do that.

Anything I should be worried about here? Bike feels solid.
Attachments
IMG_7028.JPG
IMG_7028.JPG (97.11 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
IMG_7012.JPG
IMG_7012.JPG (176.7 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
IMG_7006.JPG
IMG_7006.JPG (232.6 KiB) Viewed 1526 times
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Re: Low side crash at 10mph. Anything major to worry about?

Post by Cube »

My fiancee's low speed low side also bent the fairing stay (internal frame everything attaches to) on her silver wing - if you also did that it could be why things aren't quite lining up toward the top of the bike.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

Cube wrote:My fiancee's low speed low side also bent the fairing stay (internal frame everything attaches to) on her silver wing - if you also did that it could be why things aren't quite lining up toward the top of the bike.
Was this repairable or considered a safety issue?
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Any "get off" is devastating but coming away from it uninjured or in reasonably good health is number one!

Sounds like you are OK. . .. That is the good news! :D

About the PCX. The not-so-good news. . .. A fair amount of body panel damage. A real Bummer. . .. :(

Yes it will cost time and $$ but life is more important than stuff. The upside is it can be restored. ;)

You said the "bike feels solid". It leads me to believe you rode it home? :?

See if you can answer the following questions to yourself, knowingly, one way or the other. . .it's OK? or it's not OK?. It's a good place to start to get an overall assessment of the easily identifiable issues. And again I reiterate it sounds like you may have ridden it home. . ..

No fuel leaking anywhere?
No damage to the engine or final drive?
No bent handle bar? Levers?
Wheels seem in alignment and no damage to the suspension?
Front disc brake caliper functioning properly? Rear brake doing OK?
Engine starts and runs on the center stand without a hiccup? Shuts off without any dieseling?
Gauges register fuel capacity, time, mileage, MPG?
Lights work?
Horn and turn signals work?
Basically does every thing function OK?

As a side note, don't give the engine any throttle on the center stand. . .just see if it runs OK. As you probably already know that rear wheel spins when the clutch grabs. :D

If things, other than the obvious damage, seem OK then it probably does come down to cosmetics/panels, mirror, and that ignition switch issue that need to be remedied. At the end of the day ask yourself how "good" do you want it to look again. . .all things functioning properly. Some riders may go the cheap route and just get some touch up spray paint and a little sandpaper and have a go at it to just make it look less ugly. Others may want to look like new again. Choose what works best for you.

Most of us who ride have had that "Baptism of Fire" at one time or another. Just try to learn from it. . ..

I'm sure others will chime in here with good ideas but one suggestion I have is to make sure the coolant tank didn't get cracked or is leaking. It's mounted right behind that right passenger foot peg.

If there is any doubt in your mind about functionality you may consider taking it to a Honda dealer mechanic for an opinion. . .or even a $$ estimate to make a more informed decision to resolve your problem. Safety first! :geek:
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

romnation - it's a replaceable part if not a cheap one on the 'swing ($350-ish)

I was just looking at a parts diagram for the PCX - much cheaper at $35
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... x150/frame

You can see it in Mel46's pic here:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8659&hilit=naked
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

No fuel leaking anywhere? - Nope
No damage to the engine or final drive? - Nothing that I can see.
No bent handle bar? Levers? - Nope
Wheels seem in alignment and no damage to the suspension? The bike performs as it should. I don't notice any difference from what I can see?
Front disc brake caliper functioning properly? Rear brake doing OK? Brakes are A-OK.
Engine starts and runs on the center stand without a hiccup? Shuts off without any dieseling? - Correct
Gauges register fuel capacity, time, mileage, MPG? - No issues
Lights work? - No issues
Horn and turn signals work? - No issues
Basically does every thing function OK? - Seems like it.

I think the biggest thing that took a hit here besides the bike was my ego/confidence. I know everyone crashes at least once, but did not expect it to happen like this. Being an urban (Chicago) rider, I've always been more worried about traffic hitting me, not encountering debris in a park. I guess a good thing since I am unscathed. I've read about the perils of gravel/road debris and thought I made the right decision yet still took the fall. Only had the PCX for a little over a month (first bike) I'm wondering if having better tires besides the stock IRCs could have prevented this... Even with slight throttle in the rain I get a bit of rear wheel spin. Think I will be replacing with City Grips soon...

Can anyone do me a huge favor and post pics of their dash. I managed to get some of the clips back in and get it looking a bit better but there is still a bit of a gap. I'm starting to think this may be something I just have to live with... I imagine it would be quite a bit of work to replace the fairing stay if that is the case. I mean the only person who will notice it is me, but I am a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to vehicles. Here is what it look like now.
Attachments
IMG_7044.JPG
IMG_7044.JPG (99.12 KiB) Viewed 1476 times
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

New rider + sand/gravel = a likely off.
No, different tires wouldn't have made any difference in this case. Lesson learned regarding sand/gravel, yes?
Your scooter is probably fine - 'cept for the bruises.
Fish
There's a lovely short video of a young lady dropping a pretty Vespa while stopping in a bit of sand. Locked front tire....bam, down it went!
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I'm with Fish. Gravel on sand sounds pretty close to trying to ride on ball bearings. Better tires wouldn't help IMHO. Just one of those "feces occurs" moments - glad your OK. Even at 10 MPH you could have caught a foot under the floorboard or hit the ground wrong and not fared as well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

Once you have a few crashes in which you absolutely didn't think you did anything wrong and the bike just went out from under you , is the time that you'll change the way you go around corners and looking at the surface of the road ahead of you. I try to take every turn that I make in traffic, straight up ,and not leaning , sometimes this mean slowing down to almost a walk, when I don't know what the surface holds. Just a little byproduct from crashing a few times over the years…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

I took this pic last week. . ..
100_5100a.jpg
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

romnation,
You don't have your location in your profile, so I am guessing...United States?

If so then you can order replacement parts from http://www.partzilla.com much cheaper than getting them from your Honda dealer.

You will have to remove almost all of the plastics on the bike, starting in the rear. There is no way around it.

In order to get to the clips around the dash you will have to totally remove that right front panel that is all scratched up anyway.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gbru2505
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2017
Color: Carbon Grey

Post by gbru2505 »

I lost a lot of engine coolant when the bike was pulled over gently by its rain cover in a storm. It was new. Not damaged thankfully. Honda do it who topped it up for free as it was new.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
G'Bru
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

fish wrote:There's a lovely short video of a young lady dropping a pretty Vespa while stopping in a bit of sand. Locked front tire....bam, down it went!
This is one reason for ABS.
You simply can't lock the wheel and as a result you don't crash when you otherwise might.
Yet still some people (idiots?) say ABS is a bad thing and unnecessary.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Hi romnation, your damage looks similar to mine. I got slammed onto my right side when I got impacted on the left-front. I'm guessing I was going 20mph-25mph at the time. I took the PCX to the local Honda Powersports dealer and had them do a safety inspection. They said the only non-cosmetic damage was that the left steering stop (a small tab welded to the frame) was bent backwards about 1/8". They said it wasn't a safety issue and gave the scoot a "safe to ride" proclamation. If you're worried, a safety inspection might be the easiest way to address your worries. I was pretty sure my PCX was fine (I rode it the remaining 12 miles home after the accident) but the $60 inspection cost was worth the peace of mind.
romnation
Regular User
Regular User

Post by romnation »

Eiron wrote:Hi romnation, your damage looks similar to mine. I got slammed onto my right side when I got impacted on the left-front. I'm guessing I was going 20mph-25mph at the time. I took the PCX to the local Honda Powersports dealer and had them do a safety inspection. They said the only non-cosmetic damage was that the left steering stop (a small tab welded to the frame) was bent backwards about 1/8". They said it wasn't a safety issue and gave the scoot a "safe to ride" proclamation. If you're worried, a safety inspection might be the easiest way to address your worries. I was pretty sure my PCX was fine (I rode it the remaining 12 miles home after the accident) but the $60 inspection cost was worth the peace of mind.
How much did you pay for the inspection?
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion

Post by Cube »

He paid $60 I believe. We also had one done, I think they said $120 (1 hour), but they are rolling that into the repair cost for us.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Yes, my safety inspection cost $60 (1/2 hr labor). I think they said it would be $120 if I needed them to also prepare a report listing all of the damage (including plastic panels) for the insurance company. Since I already knew my insurance was totaling the bike, it was only a question of whether or not it was safe to rebuild and ride.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eiron wrote:Yes, my safety inspection cost $60 (1/2 hr labor). I think they said it would be $120 if I needed them to also prepare a report listing all of the damage (including plastic panels) for the insurance company. Since I already knew my insurance was totaling the bike, it was only a question of whether or not it was safe to rebuild and ride.

Did the report mention the drum :lol:
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

you you wrote:Did the report mention the drum :lol:
No, that was what they rolled the cost of inspection into. :lol: :roll:
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Nah, you are OK. That is how my bike looks too and I ride it everywhere. Looks like hell, but it goes just as fast and smooth as ever