Make-Shift Variator/Clutch Holding Tool for Torquing Nuts

The other 2-wheeled contraptions you ride.

Moderator: Modsquad

Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Make-Shift Variator/Clutch Holding Tool for Torquing Nuts

Post by Old Grinner »

I saw this video tonight when I was looking for information about my Yamaha Zuma 125 and thought it may be useful to anybody who has a scooter with a similar variator and clutch cover layout that needs to torque the nuts but doesn't have a factory made holding tool.

That said, and due to the configuration of the PCX variator and clutch arrangement, I'm not so sure this make-shift tool would work on a PCX. It's seems to be a tighter fit between the outer edge of the PCX variator and clutch to the crankcase/cover bolting pattern. . .at least from what I could tell after having observed Homie's "Clutch Pully Cover" video. But who knows. . .maybe it's possible.

This technique may do in a pinch with a good set of vice grips. Advice is given to be careful about not bending the bolts.

FWIW. . .. :geek:

Still waiting for delivery of my new scoot (windshield and rear rack took time to be shipped) and thought I'd brush up on some mechanic tips in the mean time. 8)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Re: Make-Shift Variator/Clutch Holding Tool for Torquing Nut

Post by iceman »

Not sure if Homie used an oil filter wrench for that or other parts, but people have used nails knocked as a holding implement. Else you can buy them for not much from Ebay.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Now thats improvising..Love it !.. just need a spare belt on hand. I have used a chain strap wrench with great success as well.
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

In the notes under the video the guy mentioned getting an extra long bolt that you can use just for the purpose intended and not have to worry about bending one of the OEM ones. If it were me I'd paint the head a color so I'd remember what it was for and throw it in the tool box for next time. . .. 8)

That said I've fortunately got one of these "Motion Pro" tools on hand that I originally bought to use on the PCX.

https://www.bikebandit.com/manuals-tool ... gLoFvD_BwE