Front Suspension Degrade

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Ralf_CT
Year: 2012 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Front Suspension Degrade

Post by Ralf_CT »

I've got a question relating to the forks and oil: I've got a 2012 PCX150 (bought new in 2014), it now has just under 2,000kms on the clock. While it previously seemed stable the front end now feels like it's wondering, it's no longer planted on the road, the scooter no longer feels safe; there's no bouncing of the forks when pushing down though.

Our roads aren't what they used to be, could the oil be ready for a change due to the hard service they've had to endure the past 4 years? Could a hard bump possibly have damaged the internals?

Many thanks.
Pearl White, 2012 Honda PCX150, 8,550kms... and increasing slowly.
cnikonpete
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2019
Color: red

Re: Front Suspension Degrade

Post by cnikonpete »

I would start with the front wheel and tyre, get the front wheel off the ground,spin it to see if it runs true,at the same time look for bulges splits in the tyre and or rim damage on the wheel. Put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock and rock the wheel,any excessive movement? Spin the wheel to different positions and do the same.
While it's up,grab the front forks and try pushing back and pulling forwards,any excessive movement and knocking.

I doubt you have oil problems in the suspension,but when the wheel is back on the ground,apply front brake and push down on the handlebars,you will feel the compression if ok,see if it bounces without any damping effect after,that will tell you if the oil is present and doing it's job
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150

Post by homie »

I see you've membered and put this issue to the board. Sorry I couldn't speak to suspension problems when you ask on YT. An obvious thought came to mind after you posted. Have you noticed any oil weep from the seals on your forks? I'm sure that was the first thing you checked :D
Ralf_CT

Post by Ralf_CT »

After 2,000kms the tyres and rims are still like new, pressures are okay. No knocks or looseness in the forks either, no leakage. Pushing down on the forks: compression okay and no bouncing. Maybe I'm just paranoid, especially after seeing a little more the 1" of fork tube held only by the lower fork brace.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Ralf_CT wrote: Maybe I'm just paranoid, especially after seeing a little more the 1" of fork tube held only by the lower fork brace.
I certainly understand what you are saying by comparison to traditional design. No one has experienced catastrophic failure of the PCX design in this area to my knowledge, even though we've seen many front end collisions. Hope that makes you feel better.

PS I've survived some serious pot holes in the Chicagoland streets ;)
Attachments
buell fork.jpg
buell fork.jpg (146.57 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
pcx fork.jpg
pcx fork.jpg (167.73 KiB) Viewed 1864 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Oh the more you look at this. Wish you hadn't brought to my attention
o_O now I have FEAR!!!!! jk

We have to trust Honda extensively crash tested and continues to utilize adequate molecular quality steel in those two little rings that hold our lives so precariously between bliss and vault. Um... FEAR I have it again!

Admin remove pictures :lol:
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

First thing that came to mind was "what does your front tire look like?" Yours is a 2012 vintage and I know my older scoot didn't ride well with its old tire (the added fact it was a bit cupped probably added to that instability).

Homie: if the SilverWing's forks can handle that much loading at a porky 550#, the PCX should be more than fine. :lol:
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

As well as all the above, with the scooter on the centre stand, prop something under the body to raise the wheel off the ground and using the handlebars as normal, turn the steering from left to right through straight ahead.
Any notchy feeling means the steering head bearings are buggered and need renewed.
With your forefinger on the yoke and bearing housing try pulling the forks forward and back at full lock.
Any slop in the bearing will be felt by your finger.
If you feel the yoke move, the bearings either need adjusting or are buggered.
Back in the bad old days aftermarket taper roller headrace bearings were a popular upgrade because the original bearings wore out in zero time flat.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Very wise consideration and suggestion from GN. I will now lean toward this over fork oil regarding any squiggly or squirrelly feeling you can't explain. I had the exact same feeling on a street bike last year and it ended up being wheel bearings but I hear steering bearings can do the same thing. If you just don't feel 'Cock Sure' and you know somethings different... best you keep looking.
Ganglylamb
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016 - 125cc
Color: White (NHA16)

Post by Ganglylamb »

homie wrote:Oh the more you look at this. Wish you hadn't brought to my attention
o_O now I have FEAR!!!!! jk

We have to trust Honda extensively crash tested and continues to utilize adequate molecular quality steel in those two little rings that hold our lives so precariously between bliss and vault. Um... FEAR I have it again!

Admin remove pictures :lol:
And to think my little two rings look like this + not to mention the rust at the center of the fork...:
front fork rusty dusty.jpg
front fork rusty dusty.jpg (207.2 KiB) Viewed 1843 times
I'll be removing the front fork all together within a month and put some clear tectyl on those ends just to get ready for winter. I already removed the exhaust last weekend - sanded slightly and sprayed some heat resistant mat black protective paint on it (damn the salty winter roads). Yes, even though it is hot right now -> Winter's coming!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The yoke/stanchion interface will always rust and its not a problem so long as you kep rubbing it clean with an oily rag.
Also keep rubbung the chrome stanchions with an oily rag, its very expensive to fix if they start to get pitted.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Old Grinner
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Old Grinner »

Tire pressure came to my mind. . .. :o

But if that is OK as you stated then the steering head bearing would be something I'd consider looking into as others have mentioned.

It makes good sense to make sure the fasteners are properly tightened as well.

It's amazing the pictures you can get with a camera in areas you can't normally get your head into to see. . ..

Perhaps you could take it to a Honda dealer mechanic if you don't feel safe riding it? :geek:
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Don’t let go of the handlebars - but when you’re riding at 35 mph or so and you simply loosen your grip a bit - what do the bars do? Pull left or right? Do the same while also applying first just the right hand brake only, then just the left hand only - what happens ? Be careful when you do this, don’t loosen up so much that you can’t regain control.
Ralf_CT

Post by Ralf_CT »

Thanks for all the tips, I'll do all the necessary checks and start trusting those two little rings holding the fork tubes. :) Bear in mind, this is a fair-weather, garaged PCX, with less than 2,000kms on the clock. I bought it at the end of 2016 with 134kms, the previous owner wasn't comfortable using it in highway traffic. I do roughly 1,000kms per year within a radius of 30-40kms. For longer trips I plan to get an ST1300 (I owned a Gold Wing Interstate in the 90s). :)
Ralf_CT

Post by Ralf_CT »

springer1 wrote:Don’t let go of the handlebars - but when you’re riding at 35 mph or so and you simply loosen your grip a bit - what do the bars do? Pull left or right? Do the same while also applying first just the right hand brake only, then just the left hand only - what happens ? Be careful when you do this, don’t loosen up so much that you can’t regain control.
Bars stable, no pulling, right or left.
Ralf_CT

Post by Ralf_CT »

What are the general views about parking on the center stand as opposed to the side stand, to reduce the load on the forks and rear suspension?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ralf_CT wrote:What are the general views about parking on the center stand as opposed to the side stand, to reduce the load on the forks and rear suspension?

Won't have any discernable effect.