playing with my pcx

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

playing with my pcx

Post by big bear »

i like to go to empty parking lots and do figure8s and cone weaves. The pcx seems really nimble im able to weave through cones 5 feet apart. I think its gonna make me a better rider im just getting started and learning how the bike handles. Ive got 250 miles of riding experance so far
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Re: playing with my pcx

Post by PCX150Rider »

Be careful. Take your time. Complacency causes problems. . .be on your game.

As many years as I've been riding I have to say that "situation awareness" is one of the most important safety measures we can possess. 8)
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Figure 8's and cone weaves are a part of the MSF course in the US and a part of the test.

This is the same way I learned how to ride a motorbike when I was living in Thailand. I had never ridden a motorbike before and had a large enough parking lot at work, so I did the same things you are doing. But as PCX150Rider commented, "Be careful. Take your time. Complacency causes problems. . .be on your game."

Best of luck to you and welcome to the world of the PCX and hondapcx.org
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Take your time learning. Nothing really beats time on the road when it comes to learning and safety awareness but your'e starting it right. Goodluck
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Spaguar
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018 Forza 125
Color: Silver/Pacific

Post by Spaguar »

It's a smart thing to do. I did the same for an hour when I picked up my new Forza and I would do it again with any new bike to get a feeling of it's maneuverability before hitting the roads at full speed.
Don't ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
ImageImageImage
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When my wife got her PCX I took her to an empty parking lot and showed her what she needed to learn. She spent the next week learning to do tight figure 8s around some small cones we purchased somewhere.

Then we found a DMV test area that was open to the public during their closed hours, and we practiced there as well. The motorcycle license booklet tells you what you would be expected to do, so we practiced together.

I had my Burgman 400 at the time, so it was a little harder for me to do it... or should have been harder, but wasn't because I have way more experience than she does. However, I did show her how to do it while on her PCX and it was unbelievably easy. I was really impressed... so much so that I eventually traded my Burgman in for a PCX for myself.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

You're doing it right bigbear! Practice. Be on your game, safe not sorry. So many fun times lie ahead, let's get there :P
Here's a thread you might want to check out, Riding Tips:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php? ... &start=160

The last page shows the "in the box/out the box" manuever aka figure eight. Funny thing, it's not really an "8". Enter in lane, turn, ride an "S" pattern and exit lane.
You can watch it in the vid on page 9.

Enjoy the forums and RIDING!!!! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

i took the motorcycle saftey course i wish i hadent the instructors kinda made fun of me cause i ride a pcx i had to take the test in a 250 suzuki with a clutch i think i passed but they flunked me anyway they told me they gave me points on my test for things i did in practice plus they said id get a restriction if i took the test in the pcx theres no restriction anything on anything over 50cc im just going to the DMV in 3 weeks to take the test there
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

As a clarification: in my state, you will have a limited motorcycle license if you take the test on the PCX. It will only be valid for "automatic" scooters or motorcycles (not sure what they would say about a DCT). Not that it matters any - at this point I would be really nervous on a shift-equipped motorcycle.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by big bear »

yes i dont want to shift either i dont really care if there is a restriction i might buy a bigger 2nd scooter in the future but i wouldent go bigger than an xmax or a forza. But i dont think in pa there is a restriction ill find out soon though when i go to the DMV for my test
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When I took my test on a motorcycle a long time ago i don't remember ever going beyond 2nd gear anyway, so i don't see the real difference between doing your test on the scooter or the motorcycle... other than the fact that I could use the engine to slow me down, which I love about a clutch.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

+1 on using the clutch!
But overall, don't miss a clutch. Twist n Go so much easier. Fun.
But, I miss the exhaust. That "I'm right here" sound. < How do you spell that "sound?" Noise?

A 60's muscle car will do :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You