rhythmic squeaking when braking

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013
Color: Black

rhythmic squeaking when braking

Post by neb4152 »

for the last couple weeks i've noticed a squeak in the front wheel when i brake with the left hand only. braking with the right only doesn't produce any squeak. it is a rhythmic squeak that is speed dependant. the faster i'm going when i brake the faster the rhythm. seems louder at lower speed. braking doesn't seem to be affected. inspected visually the brake pads and calipers. don't see anything wrong. I may take the calipers and pads off and clean everything and look a little closer this weekend.
Also I'm concerned it could be the wheel bearings. The wheel doesn't spin as freely by hand as i think it should. and something i read about automobile brakes said this is a symptom of bad bearings. i don't know yet.

strange though how it only happens when i use the left hand.

any ideas or thoughts?
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Re: rhythmic squeaking when braking

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Well the left lever only controls the center piston (of 3). using the right lever controls the upper and lower pistons. If you remove the caliper pop out the center piston and check for corrosion or gunk and the condition of the square seals. Clean and polish the piston, and while your at it change the pads out, that should remedy it (hopefully). Keep us updated.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Squeaky left brake could be brake dust in the rear hub.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

If you confirm it is the front wheel and not the rear and the pads have good depth and the disc looks clean and true, then just loosening the pad housing (the large black bit with the tubes attached, two bolts - best description I can come up with), turning the front wheel and slowing tightening the two bolts is supposed to help get things true and stop any cyclice 'scruffing' that sometimes happens when pads get changed or something is slightly amiss.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Had the same problem and it was (lots of) brake dust in the rear brake hub. While you're at it, change the pads for something better like Kitaco shoes , they are excellent.
EDIT just seen your post stating it comes from front.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Change out the front brake pads as you probably have a glazed center portion of your pad and the disc is dirty.When you apply the right the outer portion makes contact dampenning any sounds the center is producing and the pressure is more dispersed.Change or regrind the pad and disc .Best to replace with a good quality pad while you have it apart..sand rotor as well.
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User

Post by neb4152 »

It's been a while since I've had the pads off and done any cleaning. Checked the rear when I changed the tires earlier this year. I'll start with the front pads and caliper They may be binding because of various reasons. Pads are probably due soon. 8000 miles on the original pads and drum brake.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Could it be something to do with the linked brakes as it's the left lever and the front brake. Pull the calliper off and give it a clean and inspection?
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User

Post by neb4152 »

Took everything off and inspected. Generally dirty from brake dust and road gunk. Brake rotor had typical wear and dirt nothing indicating metal on metal. Thickness was within specifications. No oil leaks from the pistons or tubing. Center piston (which is controlled by the left brake) seemed a bit stuck compared to the other 2 when pushing them back into the caliper. Gave it a good scrub with a nylon brush and some cleaner. Rinsed with water and dried with air compressor. All three were finally flush with the housing and fluid level was within recommended limits. Checked the pads. Gave them a good cleaning with a non-oil based cleaner. Minor surface pitting in the center area but nothing concerning. Usable thickness of the pads is around 1/8 inch or 3-4mm before the the wear indicator is reached. Everything was cleaned and dried and put back together. As for torquing, I could have used my wrench but I chose to use the impact driver and some thread sealant. Allowing the sealant to cure for a few hours before I ride normally. Tested at low speed for a short ride and front seems more smooth and responsive to braking. No squeaking yet.
New pads and shoes are on the list now. Wear indicator for the drum shoes isn't close yet but I'll change both front and rear to keep things balanced. Maybe even a rotor upgrade but not immediately. All seems good for now.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

So the squeaking has stopped.