It Was a Dark Night When. . ..

When weather goes to crap, you still have to get there somehow...

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

It Was a Dark Night When. . ..

Post by PCX150Rider »

Just the other night I thought I heard a big bug fly into my car's side mirror area while traveling down a country road. But much to my surprise. . .the next morning I discovered that it wasn't a bug at all.

This adds a whole new meaning to what a "Batmobile" is. :lol: :roll: :o o_O
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (90.31 KiB) Viewed 3114 times
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Re: It Was a Dark Night When. . ..

Post by GeorgeSK »

That's pretty sad. Cute little guy was probably focused on a moth or something and failed to pick up on the oncoming wall.

It would have been more of a surprise if it had been your helmet, though - esp if it wasn't full face.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

So much for that sonar sensing. How do you use your sonar and miss a fast moving wall Coming at you?
Poor guy didn't have a chance. Well, if he couldn't "see" a truck coming at him then he wasn't destined to live anyway. Imagine him hitting a tree while hunting.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Headbutted an owl on the bike once while doing around 80mph, wasn't an experience I'd care to repeat.
The owl definitely got the worst of it though.
Also hit a cat once at a similar speed and it smashed my fairing lowers.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:So much for that sonar sensing. How do you use your sonar and miss a fast moving wall Coming at you?
Because the sound emission and reflection detection equipment (mouth and ears) point forwards, it isn't "looking" at what's coming up from behind.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

That's pretty sad. Cute little guy was probably focused on a moth or something and failed to pick up on the oncoming wall.

It would have been more of a surprise if it had been your helmet, though - esp if it wasn't full face.
I felt kind of bad after. . .nothing I could have done about it though. Bats are highly valued for eating a lot of insects. The closest encounter I ever had with one head to head was while riding a bicycle. I could feel the air from it's wings as it passed around me it was so close. . .right around dusk. Wasn't wearing a bicycle helmet. . .they weren't popular yet. 8)

Another undervalued critter is the skunk. They also eat a lot of annoying insects. :geek:
Headbutted an owl on the bike once while doing around 80mph, wasn't an experience I'd care to repeat.
An owl flew into the front of my daughter's car one evening and broke the manufacturer's insignia clean off. . .. It's a good thing you didn't get knocked off the bike. :geek:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Lucky you PCX150Rider :lol: I will say he blended in quite nicely and was kind not to leave any skid marks(mess) well, that I can see. Still, it ain't no party to clean up. Sad too :(

While living in Florida I was driving my truck Northbound on the Suncoast Parkway, it was around 10ish. It was pitch-black (no parkway lighting). Legal speed limit 70mph. Not for me this night. There were just too many pockets of fog. I was getting closer to my exit and exiting deep fog when I saw flashes of movement. It's all my headlights could see...dashing all about. I had no idea what it was. I heard nothing. Then things quickly cleared. What the !!

10 minutes later I'm home, I get out to open my garage screen sliders, I walk back to my truck and.....
Thar She Blows! A Bat spread eagle, her back against my front grill - Yeah, She was looking at Me! o_O Quite eerie, shocking. A Perfect Halloween Scare.

I was Sad. Then I wanted to heave. What a mess! Gag! How do I do this in the dark? I got back in, aimed the truck at a street lamp. The rest ya'll can imagine.
Took me awhile to fall asleep that night. Should have had a shot of booze (or 2-3)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Remember back when I was in Belize, swarms of land crabs used to crowd onto the roads, the road would be covered in them from one side to the other for up to twenty yards or so.
Wheelarches filled with rotting dead crab in tropical heat stinks something awful.

Just a quick H&S reminder, if you're handling bats be very careful because they carry rabies. And Ebola.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Ou Yeah! hold yer breath STINKIN' crabs! Enter video, Bub bub bub ba Bad to the Bone!

Can't see it? - Click here: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_7VsoxT_FUY

On the rabies/ebola, I'll heed that! Good you warned All of Us. I'll know better next time :o
Next time??
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

On the rabies/ebola, (yikes)...heed that! Good you warned the rest of them! ;)
I heard about the rabies but had no idea about ebola. Damn horrible infectious disease. Thanks for the info! o_O

FWIW the bat was removed using a stick and the car has since been washed. I don't think the bat ever knew what happened to it as it occurred so quickly. :|
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Each time that I click on this thread I can hear the Men in Black theme playing in my head. How do we know that it was really a bat?? Hmmmm......
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Ah poor bugger.

Cars seem more dangerous than Ebola or rabies to him.