Should I just stick with premium fuel?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Should I just stick with premium fuel?

Post by gn2 »

Fugu wrote:Deal with it. 8)
There's nothing to deal with, you use petrol, it works.
Have you ever tried diesel in a PCX?
I have.
Now that is something to deal with! :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Fugu wrote:
you you wrote:
Fugu wrote:That explains a lot :-)
Thanks for the answers! There is actually no difference at all then on the Octane then.

No, there's a difference between octanes but it doesn't make any real difference to the PCXs running.
I've heard that story a thousand times now.
bla bla bla. I see different people, saying different things about Normal or Premium Gas.
Personally I only use the Premium gas, because I can feel the difference. Deal with it. 8)

Deal with what?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Fugu wrote:
you you wrote:
Fugu wrote:Personally I only use the Premium gas, because I can feel the difference.
Nice one Skywalker.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The bottom line is it'll run perfectly well on regular or premium. End of.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

The RON stated in the user guide will be normal fuel for that part of the world (RON varies but it will be the lower kind not premium in your locale). Those singing the merits of using premium will keep using premium irrespective of what the manufacturer states and those riding PCX's for years advise so just use whatever you want as long as it's not dieasel, treakle or plastic cheese or water the PCX will run fine.
No idea about other parts of the world but in the UK (and probably Europe) petrol as with oil meets high standards so normal forecourt basic unleaded is fine - no nead for gold leaf premium or designer labels.
Nosubstance
Year: 2017

Post by Nosubstance »

A article I read says when we use higher octane fuel in a engine that requires 86 octane we are wasting our money. Could be up for debate. The HM (Honda Manual) states 86 or higher can be used. I recently fueled up with 86 octane and it doesn't accelerate as fast as when I fuel up with 91 octane. Currently avg about 86-96 MPG on 86 octane. When I use 91 octane I get avg 100.1-103.6 MPG. MPG does vary with the following variables such as Wind, Hills (steep grades), and weight. Been wanting to test racing fuel that is 100+ octane rating. In my case the difference in MPG has little difference between the fuel grades. I may try mid grade which is 89 and blend of 86 and 91 respectively.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Nosubstance wrote:A article I read says when we use higher octane fuel in a engine that requires 86 octane we are wasting our money. Could be up for debate. The HM (Honda Manual) states 86 or higher can be used. I recently fueled up with 86 octane and it doesn't accelerate as fast as when I fuel up with 91 octane. Currently avg about 86-96 MPG on 86 octane. When I use 91 octane I get avg 100.1-103.6 MPG. MPG does vary with the following variables such as Wind, Hills (steep grades), and weight. Been wanting to test racing fuel that is 100+ octane rating. In my case the difference in MPG has little difference between the fuel grades. I may try mid grade which is 89 and blend of 86 and 91 respectively.

Yeah go on then.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Higher octane is only necessary in high compression engines mostly found in high performance motors .Because of high compression ratio anti knock additives are required hence high octane.They have higher anti knock additives not more power.The Honda scooter engines are not high performance requiring anti knock fuels ( high octane).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Using a higher octane of fuel than needed will not hurt your engine but it will cost more and give LESS performance. The higher the octane the slower the burn of the fuel. The slower the burn the less energy, and less energy means less power.
Not correct. Higher octane is harder to IGNITE. That’s why it’s needed in hi compression engines, octane does not relate to energy produced, only to how much heat & compression will ignite it without spark.

For instance, using lower octane in a performance engine will result in ignition too far advanced, prior to the delivery of spark.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

If you use premium fuel you get more blow jobs.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If in the USA, use only Top Tier labeled fuel. It costs no more, and has good stuff for your engine. Check web site to see the stations. In Ohio, Speedway is not a Top Tier fuel.....although it is hugely frequented in my area. Down the street is Valero and BP....both are T.T.
Same $.
Fish
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

If the bike is getting regular use, I use 87. If I'm storing the bike for a few months because I'm going out of town, I fill it with 93 because octane starts to degrade after 21 days. I could tell no difference between running 93 and 87. I also can tell very little difference between running ethanol, and non-ethanol.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

I have good results using 87 octane Shell regular (does have Ethanol content) year 'round in my PCX. I occasionally add Startron fuel additive/treatment. :D
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

fish wrote:If in the USA, use only Top Tier labeled fuel. It costs no more, and has good stuff for your engine. Check web site to see the stations. In Ohio, Speedway is not a Top Tier fuel.....although it is hugely frequented in my area. Down the street is Valero and BP....both are T.T.
Same $.
Fish
Top tier fuels are not necrssarily any better than other fuels.Its a gimmick !All fuels have to meet Federal guidelines and contain govt required detergent additives.Those who choose to pay a lab to certify that they meet the standards are then granted the top tier designation.If you pay you play.Just like Mobil One refused to pay GM to license thier DEXOS logo.Mobil One beats their requirements and did not feel a need to pay GM their ridiculous licensing fees.Same with top tier gasoline.Its all BS.All gasoline is raw,only additive detergent packages make them slightly different.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Ok, here is the bottom line. Whether you use regular, hi-test or aircraft fuel, the PCX will run on it. However, for those intent on using aircraft fuel, I am sorry to inform you of this, but it won't fly. It is but a lowly little scooter.

The discussion as to whether it will run better is somewhat arbitrary. It will run. It doesn't NEED hi-test, but if you want to put it in your scooter, that is up to you.

The octane rating in Europe is calculated differently than in the United States, but here is the bottom line on that:

Honda recommends regular, NON- hi-test gas for your engine, No matter where you live. Run whatever you wish. Pay whatever you wish for it. Just don't put Diesel in your scooter unless you don't want it to run.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Mel46 wrote:don't put Diesel in your scooter unless you don't want it to run.
Did that once.
Realised I'd put diesel in before I tried to start it.
Cost me about £160 to get it trailered to the dealer and the diesel cleaned out.
JustPassinThru
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: white

Post by JustPassinThru »

easyrider wrote:Higher octane is only necessary in high compression engines mostly found in high performance motors .Because of high compression ratio anti knock additives are required hence high octane.They have higher anti knock additives not more power.The Honda scooter engines are not high performance requiring anti knock fuels ( high octane).
What's the compression ratio on the PCX engine?

I expect it's high - 10:1 or thereabouts - because for its size the engine packs a lot of punch.

FWIW, it also has four valves on a single cylinder - an elaborate setup done to eke out performance.

Now...you wanna see low performance, look at a gy-6 engine. Or a flathead Briggs & Stratton go-cart engine.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I have a Peugeot speedfight that is running ok on four year old supermarket petrol.