Wear your helmets!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Re: Wear your helmets!

Post by Eiron »

Thanks for all of the great links to gear!! 8)

The insurance company is coming out to look at the scoot tomorrow. They said they'd also cover "safety gear" which, in my case, is limited to my helmet. The rest of my destroyed gear (including the reflective/LED-lit jacket) wasn't sold as motorbike-specific safety gear.

The surgery to my left (broken) hand was Friday and went well. The bones had already started to knit back together but not in the right locations. The Dr had to cut open my hand to clean up the fused areas and then pinned the bones in place, so that will add a little more time to the healing process. The pins will come out (with the cast) after 4 weeks. I opted for a local anesthetic and a sedative, and I've only had to take ibuprofen so far, so I've been able to avoid all of the drug-related complications. My sprained left shoulder is nearly back to normal, too. My right knee took the brunt of the road impact, so that's taking the longest to heal.

A few thoughts on the comments:
I won't try to ride again until my physical therapist says so. That makes me sad, but will also give me time to get the scoot repaired and wait for sales to buy new safety gear.
I was wearing two t-shirts (under shirt and outer shirt) under the jacket, and the road abrasion at 25 mph chewed thru all of the layers and hamburgered my shoulder.
I completely agree with outlawing texting. It's not only teenagers (the favorite scapegoat around here), and I'm seeing lots of service vehicles (delivery drivers, repair service vans, install service trucks, etc) with drivers texting (and drifting!) instead of watching the road!!

Also, I came across this article, which explains what can affect your recollection of an accident:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... -21942918/
So if you find yourself on the receiving end of a crash, don't be too hard on yourself if you can't perfectly recall all of the details!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Eiron wrote:Thanks for all of the great links to gear!! 8)

The insurance company is coming out to look at the scoot tomorrow. They said they'd also cover "safety gear" which, in my case, is limited to my helmet. The rest of my destroyed gear (including the reflective/LED-lit jacket) wasn't sold as motorbike-specific safety gear.

The surgery to my left (broken) hand was Friday and went well. The bones had already started to knit back together but not in the right locations. The Dr had to cut open my hand to clean up the fused areas and then pinned the bones in place, so that will add a little more time to the healing process. The pins will come out (with the cast) after 4 weeks. I opted for a local anesthetic and a sedative, and I've only had to take ibuprofen so far, so I've been able to avoid all of the drug-related complications. My sprained left shoulder is nearly back to normal, too. My right knee took the brunt of the road impact, so that's taking the longest to heal.

A few thoughts on the comments:
I won't try to ride again until my physical therapist says so. That makes me sad, but will also give me time to get the scoot repaired and wait for sales to buy new safety gear.
I was wearing two t-shirts (under shirt and outer shirt) under the jacket, and the road abrasion at 25 mph chewed thru all of the layers and hamburgered my shoulder.
I completely agree with outlawing texting. It's not only teenagers (the favorite scapegoat around here), and I'm seeing lots of service vehicles (delivery drivers, repair service vans, install service trucks, etc) with drivers texting (and drifting!) instead of watching the road!!

Also, I came across this article, which explains what can affect your recollection of an accident:
https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-ne ... -21942918/
So if you find yourself on the receiving end of a crash, don't be too hard on yourself if you can't perfectly recall all of the details!

Excellent. Chin up!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

My wife broke her wrist back in April and insurance wouldn't cover rehab. She did what she could at home. We went for her first ride yesterday and everything went fine. She still has some limiting factors but all-in-all she is back to somewhat normal movement. Take your time getting back to riding. The day will arrive eventually. Meanwhile use the time to look for replacement gear.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Better days are coming. . .hang in there! :D

Also thanks for sharing the insight you gained from your situation. Something we can all learn from. . .. ;)
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Good advert for the need for a proper armored jacket. Shirts and jackets can't protect from hamburgering a shoulder.
Fish
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

$99 looks like the best price for a decent jacket, so I can wait for the Firstgear DayGlo jacket to go on sale. Amazon lists several vendors. Which one puts them on sale for $99? I was wearing heavy canvas trousers as overpants (over my shorts at the time of the accident) but they didn't have any knee or hip pads. I'd like to find something that's more "breathable" than "waterproof" and that I can comfortably wear when I get off the bike, and these motorcycle cargo pants look like a pretty good match.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Wow - those are pretty inexpensive. I went for the Aerostitch Khakis, at about twice your price point (and that it before the knee inserts). The nice thing about those is that they look pretty much like casual work pants. I bought my first pair five years ago, and they still look great. They also make a dungaree. I like those as well (since they take the same knee inserts), but they are pretty warm in the summer.

http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-prot ... kis-1.html
http://www.aerostich.com/aerostich-protekt-jeans-2.html
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I don't think I have seen any riding pants as inexpensive as those on the amazon site. I just put them on my wish list. I like the gray ones.

When I had my accident I had regular jeans on but I had knee braces you can buy at any pharmacy. They protected my knees even though the pants were destroyed. My jacket went below my waist so some of my hip area was protected. I still got bruised there though. It would probably be much more comfortable to wear the riding pants than to strap on extra gear in the summer.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Eiron
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Eiron »

Mel, I did find these less-expensive riding pants and almost bought them because I felt ballistic nylon was better crash material than canvas pants. Unfortunately, the user-comments say you can't remove the waterproof liner and you tend to start sweating almost immediately after putting them on.

Question for the people who have riding jackets:
How does this Xelement Jacket look in comparison to what you've purchased?
neb4152
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Black

Post by neb4152 »

Wow. Brings back memories. I wrecked once and my left arm and hand took all the damage other than the scoot. I took a rock to the forehead of my helmet at highway speed last year, busted my face shield and cracked the shell. New LS2 VERSO helmet (2017 US) and AGV high viz jacket every day now. Don't know why more people don't wear the right protective gear! Glad you could post this, albeit one handed.
big bear
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2016
Color: silver

Post by big bear »

i have a decent helmut im looking into getting a better one dont have any other protective gear yet but im going to get it i just wear a decent thick jacket long pants and boots but i want to get all armored up as soon as i can ive got 50 miles on the pcx since i bought it on thursday
Cube
Office Minion
Office Minion
Year: 2018
Color: Dark Pearl Blue

Post by Cube »

GF crashed yesterday and her jacket and boots saved her a lot of pain. Her denim clad knee wasn't so lucky. I hate that she's hurt at all but I'm very thankful I was insistent on a minimum of helmet, jacket, gloves and boots.
2018 Dark Pearl Blue PCX150
2007 Cyber Silver Metallic Silver Wing
2014 Glowing Red Forza 300
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Eiron, here is a site we have used in the past. They have a lot of Xelement items. They also have a lot of other nice products.

https://www.leatherup.com/c/Mesh-Motorc ... /1034.html
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

WI_Hedgehog