Mirrors.

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Bonniedogsdad
Year: 2018 registered
Color: black

Mirrors.

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

2017 PCX, mirrors will not stop in vision, road vibrations moves them out of 'focus', any one had the same problem?
Cure: I'm fitting 2017 Vision mirrors that have a tightening screw, should be o.k. then.
Unfortunately Hunts wanted me to jump through hoops to go through Honda to send me out a new PCX pair when I already have a brand new Vision one they sent me when I had a similar problem, they failed to tell me of the tightening screw so was able to still use the o.e. part and 'won' a spare.
They didn't seem to know about it!!
Whats the point of sending out another PCX pair when I'm possibly going to get the same problem?
Hunts wont send me a l/h Vision mirror, would rather loose a future customer as I intend to up-grade in 18 months at the most, so I bought A PAIR of boxed new o.e. ones for well less than their cost of one, Hunts £22 each +£11.95 postage? HGB Motorcycles £30 all in for A PAIR, WTF??
Seems like Honda cutting corners to save a few bob too, although the PCX are marginally dear even with out the tightening screw!.
The Vision mirror is superior to the PCX one any way as it's a better shape and gives a bigger mirror surface.
In my view (haha, get it?) mirrors are essential parts of any bike, and to keep having to take your hands off the bars, especially the right, is really very dangerous, especially on higher sped roads.
Loving the bike to bits apart from that!
Bonniedogsdad

Re: Mirrors.

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

P.S. to use the VISION MIRROR you will also need ADAPTER p.n. 90003-MYS-720 to fit l/h as the PCX is Right hand on both sides and the Vision is l/h & R/h threads.
Right hand o.k.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

CB500X mirrors work great, do a Forum search on them, here's one. I bought mine used off E*ay.

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f ... rs#p111034
Bonniedogsdad

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

Are the 500's both r.h thread?
The 2017 PCX are both the same, the 2016< are l & r, so I'm hoping the converter will work and the bottom thread is r/h and top l/h.
If not HGB will accept them back and refund no problem.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

When we picked up both of our bikes the mirrors were loose. My guess is that the mirrors are installed at the dealer after the bike is uncrated. You can always put Locktite on the threads before you retighten the various nuts that are under the rubber sleeves. I keep an adjustable wrench in my glove box, just in case. I have the 2013 model so yours might be a little different, but under the rubber protective sleeve at the bottom of the mirror stem there are several nuts that usually come loose from vibration. Very seldom have I ever had to tighten the stem where it screws into the handlebar. Put Locktite on the threads there if they do come loose at that point.

I also added mirror extenders when I installed my tall windshield. They make what I see in the mirror much more worthwhile. My view use to be partially blocked by my body until I added the extenders.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Bonniedogsdad

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

Its the mirror-to-stems that are loose, at the ball joint, on both mirrors, not the nut/adaptor end, keeping on having to re-adjust them will only create wear and make them even looser over time I think.
Bonniedogsdad

Post by Bonniedogsdad »

I like the mirror extender idea, will be looking into those.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Well, there is another solution for that part being loose, or at least it works for me. I have a bottle of liquid silicone that I can paint onto parts that come loose. It hardens into a rubber coating within 30 minutes. It is just a thought, but it seems that something like this, after you adjust your mirrors, would hold them in place. If you ever need to take the stuff off it should peel off without a lot of effort.

I also use this stuff to protect wires that I have spliced or soldered.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Bonniedogsdad wrote:Are the 500's both r.h thread?
The 2017 PCX are both the same, the 2016< are l & r, so I'm hoping the converter will work and the bottom thread is r/h and top l/h.
If not HGB will accept them back and refund no problem.
I can't remember for sure (sorry) but I think they are L & R. For my profile, no extenders were needed and the mirrors are not large & goofy looking, they just extend out a bit farther and the outside edge is more square and less tapered so the rear vision is greatly improved. I don't know why Honda doesn't use them to begin with on the PCX.
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

Am getting ready to add extenders and am attempting to take off the mirrors which are on super tight. My question is are they reverse threads so turning right is loosening?
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

If the manufacturer is still doing it the same as back in 2013 I believe one is reverse threads. I can't remember which one or how I figured it out. I think I tried one way and then tried it the other way, until finally something came loose. I thought about holding on to the mirror and having two friends turn the bike, but I don't have two friends.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Blue

Post by d1ckyh »

d1ckyh wrote:Am getting ready to add extenders and am attempting to take off the mirrors which are on super tight. My question is are they reverse threads so turning right is loosening?
As an FYI I was finally able to get the mirrors off. On my 2018 both bottom bolts are reverse threads while the top adjusting nuts are regular threads.(lefty loosy).

I added the extenders because I am not a slim Jim and with the mirrors all the way out I was struggling to get a good view. I did add blind spot mirrors to each mirror when I got the scooter so wasn't too bad, but now with the extenders I have a whole new perspective of what's behind me. My only complaint is they look like an aftermarket addition. Wish honda offered mirror with longer stems.
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

d1ckyh wrote:Wish honda offered mirror with longer stems.
They do.
The mirrors from a CB500F or X have longer stems.

Also, R&G do mirror risers which improve the view behind without increasing width and look better than the other type of extender.
https://www.mandp.co.uk/r-g-mirror-rise ... 1200x.html
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

d1ckyh wrote:
d1ckyh wrote:Am getting ready to add extenders and am attempting to take off the mirrors which are on super tight. My question is are they reverse threads so turning right is loosening?
As an FYI I was finally able to get the mirrors off. On my 2018 both bottom bolts are reverse threads while the top adjusting nuts are regular threads.(lefty loosy)
Thank You for asking, discovering, answering and sharing: "which way to turn."
Precise and Succinct ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

gn2 wrote:
d1ckyh wrote:Wish honda offered mirror with longer stems.
They do.
The mirrors from a CB500F or X have longer stems.
Also, R&G do mirror risers which improve the view behind without increasing width and look better than the other type of extender.
Also, the Honda OEM Tall windscreen comes with handlebar clamps that relocate and angle the mirrors outward to wider positions (using the original stems). I don't know if these clamps are available separately?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have to assume that they are. When I purchased my first tall windshield from Givi the mirror relocaters were not offered. Later on they offered them with the tall windshield or by themselves. You just have to find out who is offering them and go from there. It is always good to have a part number, though. Ask your local parts department about them.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150