Should I go 140 km/hour to keep the CVT in good condition?

General Honda Forza 300 chat, questions about the Forza, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2014
Color: Silver

Should I go 140 km/hour to keep the CVT in good condition?

Post by davenowherejones »

I had a curious person ask me how fast the 2104 Honda Forza could go? I told him 140 km per hour.

On the way home from Chilliwack to Hope I decided to find out if I was telling the truth still. I had to find a big enough gap in the freeway traffic to get up to speed. The first few times I was not able to go fast before I hit traffic. I finally got it up to 140 and that was quite fast on a highway with curves and hills.

My Forza has about 71,000 km on it now. I have the tall Honda shield in front and a 55 litre top box out back. I weigh about 200 pounds with all of my gear and crap. I am only 5 foot 6 so I tuck in close.

I seem to remember a little higher top speed when the Forza was new, 148??? km per hour? I had the short screen and no top box, I might have been a little lighter.

My 140 was indicated not GPS but the Forza is fairly accurate. What is your top speed?

The second question is that will occasional top speed runs keep the CVT in good working order?
Daguang
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Re: Should I go 140 km/hour to keep the CVT in good conditio

Post by Daguang »

higher speed higer oil consumption
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

If a CVT was a heart muscle, maybe.
But it is not, it is a group of mechanical parts - which wear.
The rollers and clutch parts are wearing - then when all is locked up and cruising that wear is less. At speed the belt construction is degrading - but mainly the belt is becoming thinner, lowering your top speed.

I would think the CVT does not benefit at all from top speed runs - but only degrades. The engine will certainly benefit from not being lugged, and will enjoy reaching full operating temps, as designed.....but top speed runs are not needed to do that.
Fish
davenowherejones
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Silver

Post by davenowherejones »

I think 5 minutes of 140 is not going to hurt anything.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

"Should I go 140 km/hour to keep the CVT in good condition?"

Nope. 140 keeps nothing in the CVT in better condition.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

The second question is that will occasional top speed runs keep the CVT in good working order?

Yes indeed !! - as long as it’s done resting in the back of a pickup truck. The wind buffeting helps blow off any accumulated dust.