Seniors & shingles

Anything and everything not related to anything else on this site.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Seniors & shingles

Post by montliz44 »

Question:

Is it true or is it not true that Shingles is related to Chicken Pox, and that if you never had Chicken Pox (usually as a child) you are not eligible to get Shingles. Serious question -- T or F ?

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

True - I was of the understanding that if you've had "Chicken Pox" you are more apt to get "Shingles".

That being said the virus remains in the nerve tissue over time. It can remain dormant or emerge with it's ugly symptoms in later life. It is the same virus that causes both Chicken Pox and Shingles. When we get older. . .especially if we don't keep our immune system strong. . .the old Chicken Pox thing can return but it manifests itself as Shingles. Kind of like a "Buy One. . .Get One Free". . .but in a bad way. o_O

There are vaccines available to help not get Chicken Pox or Shingles. Check with your doctor. :geek:

https://www.cdc.gov/shingles/vaccination.html
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

homie wrote: Here in Illinois these Naturopathic services and doctors will be added to the list of typical medical practices as choices soon and they really work! We have a entire University teaching Naturopathic sciences here in Chicagoland with whole health centers branching into Florida right now. Who knew how easy it is to finally find people who can fix things you thought the quacks would never. Stop the drugs, stop the circle jerk of doctors handing off to each other and bilking your insurance and get some real help with your issues. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!
Naturopathic systems have this great advantage over the modern mainstream medicine: Naturopaths look for causes. They tend to treat the whole person. They stress lifestyle and diet. And while some MD's are starting to see the light, most of them are still too far back in the tunnel of a symptom-fix pharma based mindset to have time to educate people in matters that for the most part they need education in themselves. Of course there are those docs who just have a gift for healing and no matter how bad their education they find a way.

I recall reading in an old novel ( by Smollett, I think) about a doctor who worked in a seaside resort town in southern England. His clientele consisted chiefly of rich ladies from London who came down to sea to bathe in "curative pools" and recover from months of London living. They would ask him: What's wrong with me doctor? and the old guy would say: Madame, You eat too much. You drink too much. You sit too much.

I can't remember if the doctor in question actually said this to his patients or merely thought it to himself--if the former, you can bet that he wasn't the most popular doc on the scene and before long might even have been run out of town as some sort of a back-to-nature quack.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Of all the Gin joints in all the towns in all the world. . . :roll:

I came for the waters. . .. ;)

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
homie wrote: Here in Illinois these Naturopathic services and doctors will be added to the list of typical medical practices as choices soon and they really work! We have a entire University teaching Naturopathic sciences here in Chicagoland with whole health centers branching into Florida right now. Who knew how easy it is to finally find people who can fix things you thought the quacks would never. Stop the drugs, stop the circle jerk of doctors handing off to each other and bilking your insurance and get some real help with your issues. YOU WILL NOT BE SORRY!
Naturopathic systems have this great advantage over the modern mainstream medicine: Naturopaths look for causes. They tend to treat the whole person. They stress lifestyle and diet. And while some MD's are starting to see the light, most of them are still too far back in the tunnel of a symptom-fix pharma based mindset to have time to educate people in matters that for the most part they need education in themselves. Of course there are those docs who just have a gift for healing and no matter how bad their education they find a way.

I recall reading in an old novel ( by Smollett, I think) about a doctor who worked in a seaside resort town in southern England. His clientele consisted chiefly of rich ladies from London who came down to sea to bathe in "curative pools" and recover from months of London living. They would ask him: What's wrong with me doctor? and the old guy would say: Madame, You eat too much. You drink too much. You sit too much.

I can't remember if the doctor in question actually said this to his patients or merely thought it to himself--if the former, you can bet that he wasn't the most popular doc on the scene and before long might even have been run out of town as some sort of a back-to-nature quack.
What was the point you were trying to make?
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Well I just got my first of two Shingles shots. My doctor was nice enough to let me know that if you have a compromised immune system you are urged to get the new ones. I had the vaccine 10 years ago but my doctor warned me that it was no longer good. Do whatever you want but I have Leukemia so i am listening to my doctor.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

Mel46 wrote:Well I just got my first of two Shingles shots. My doctor was nice enough to let me know that if you have a compromised immune system you are urged to get the new ones. I had the vaccine 10 years ago but my doctor warned me that it was no longer good. Do whatever you want but I have Leukemia so i am listening to my doctor.
I'm not competent to advise anyone on these matters, but I can give my 2 cents worth of opinion. I knew someone who had cll. She lived 28 years, I believe, beyond the date of her first being diagnosed in her late 50's.. She went the conventional route.

If you tolerate vaccines well, and you feel safer that way...that's the way to go for sure. I don't know what I'd do if I should come down with leukemia. I know I would look all over the place for some kind of natural cure. I would try everything to boost my immune system. But.....in the end, listening to a doctor you really trust is a way to go that at least has a whiff of common sense to it.
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote:
flyingzonker wrote:

I'll spell it out: If you feel shitty a lot of the time, then: Don't eat so much, don't drink so much, don't sit so much! If you still feel shitty after trying all that, then that wasn't your problem.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

This thread has some really interesting components.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I happened upon this information via a chance conversation with a health-line nurse.
My thinking, as the OP, was that the information about this more effective inoculation was too important to leave to chance -- for scooter riders of a certain age.
Seemed a simple posting...
Fish
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:
you you wrote:
I'll spell it out: If you feel shitty a lot of the time, then: Don't eat so much, don't drink so much, don't sit so much! If you still feel shitty after trying all that, then that wasn't your problem.

Now that I agree with.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Well I just got my first of two Shingles shots. My doctor was nice enough to let me know that if you have a compromised immune system you are urged to get the new ones. I had the vaccine 10 years ago but my doctor warned me that it was no longer good. Do whatever you want but I have Leukemia so i am listening to my doctor.
Hope things improve for you Mel. . .. Sounds like your PCX is all set for this year with the new lights. Keep on riding! ;)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I saw a PCX like mine parked in a parking lot yesterday, and my wife and I were upset about its condition. It looked like someone was riding it hard and not fixing it. The left mirror was completely gone.

To each their own, but I am so use to taking care of what I have that it is hard for me to understand why people who spend good money on transportation will abuse it. I see cars that are essentially brand new, certainly newer than either of my cars, that have crash marks on the backend, the front, and the sides.

It always seems to be certain types of people. We have a resident in our subdivision who comes home every 6 months or so with a different car, because the one he drove previously had finally been wrecked one too many times. He drives like a maniac, even in our subdivision, which has a posted speed limit of 25 mph.

I am glad that I take care of my vehicles because I can't afford to change vehicles every 6 months. Just because it did not cost a lot to purchase as apposed to some cars, does not mean it is a throw away item.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote:Well I just got my first of two Shingles shots. My doctor was nice enough to let me know that if you have a compromised immune system you are urged to get the new ones. I had the vaccine 10 years ago but my doctor warned me that it was no longer good. Do whatever you want but I have Leukemia so i am listening to my doctor.
Same here Mel. I have sarcoidosis in my lungs and thus a compromised immune system. Dr. advised against the old vaccine, but really encouraged this one because it used different 'stuff' that doesn't cause a problem for those like us.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Bump -- new info on the shingles vaccine discussion. This in today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/well ... n%2Fhealth

Johnny
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

montliz44 wrote:Bump -- new info on the shingles vaccine discussion. This in today's New York Times:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/04/09/well ... n%2Fhealth

Johnny
Thanks for your link Johnny.
Recommended reading.
Seems pretty clear what we need to do for our safety - but then again this is America, 2018.

I got my second Shingrix shot one day after the minimum time had passed (2 months)
Get it in your non sleeping side.
Doc said this is normal.
(as mentioned in the article - my relative might have lost his eye too, if he'd lived)
Fish
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by montliz44 »

Well, anyway, Fish,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention in the first place. I would never have thought about it if it were not for your OP. So now, next regular visit to the Doc, I will ask him for advice and a scrip.

Thanks,

Johnny
NADman
Regular User
Regular User
Color: black

Post by NADman »

relic wrote:Along with my pension cheques I also received the added bonuses of both pneumonia and shingles this winter. Getting old is not an easy proposition.
Looking forward to spring.
Just looking around here for the first time.
Thanks for reminding me.
My favorite show for so many years.
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. -Winston S. Churchill.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I have a neighbor down the street from me who is almost 7 years younger than I am and yet he complains constantly that he doesn't have the energy to cut his lawn or wash his car, or much of anything else. However, he does have the energy to go shopping for the most idiotic things that he will never use in a million years. He came home recently with a 350 pound anvil because, as he put it, he is going to get into blacksmithing. ...oooo kkkk :roll:

Even when I don't feel great I get up and move. I try to keep active as much as possible, which in turn helps me to feel better. I even cut the grass of neighbors who have a temporary problem, such as one of them whose lawn mower quit and he had to take it to the shop.

As long as you can move around, keep busy. It also keeps your mind busy.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150